Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:36 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This puts figures on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 10:45 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Looks like the mayor will have some projected budget shortfalls this year.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:51 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Typical police union hyperbole. The problem is that they pull crap like this over every perceived slight. They'd better hope someone doesn't die because of their arrogance, because that may be the final straw that sees the ultra-powerful police unions crushed.

You can't be expected to be paid and treated like professionals while you behave like a bunch of 2-bit longshoreman union thugs from the 1930's. NYPD Cops want it both ways.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
This puts figures on it.
So? There was already a thread on it. Put it there.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:15 PM

57,292 posts, read 26,206,502 times
How did they get stats so quickly?

Old 12-30-2014, 01:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the diane feinstein assumption-- if you disarm yourself---- the criminals will no longer be offended and will stop being violent.
btw she has a permit.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:50 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
down 94% for minor stuff, overall down 66%.

Arrests plummet 66% with NYPD in virtual work stoppage | New York Post

....I think we will have an interesting little civics experiment play out here. From stop and frisk and broken window policing to...eh, whatever.

I'm sure the criminal element in NYC won't take advantage of this. Crime is down so much, there probably isn't any criminal element left.
From your link:

The Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association has warned its members to put their safety first and not make arrests “unless absolutely necessary.”

I thought that police only make arrests when "absolutely necessary" anyhow. I don't want my tax dollars wasted on arrests of people who are litterbugs or jaywalkers. I'm extremely sorry for the deaths of those two officers, but that's a risk for anyone who joins the police force, and cops know this. What? NYC's finest are now terrified of leaving a parking ticket on someone's car? Are they now so timid that they do nothing except sit and watch when someone passes them doing 100mph on the highway? Pffft! I don't believe it. If the police force has been acting in a professional, responsible manner, they have nothing to worry about. If they've been cutting legal corners, the department needs a serious overhaul - that simple.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:55 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
down 94% for minor stuff, overall down 66%.

Arrests plummet 66% with NYPD in virtual work stoppage | New York Post

....I think we will have an interesting little civics experiment play out here. From stop and frisk and broken window policing to...eh, whatever.

I'm sure the criminal element in NYC won't take advantage of this. Crime is down so much, there probably isn't any criminal element left.
Civics experiment indeed... this should be interesting.

Another possible crisis means change is in the holiday air.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:58 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Back to the days of finding numerous bodies in central park at sunrise again.. Warm up Rudys mayoral campaign again.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:16 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
From your link:

The Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association has warned its members to put their safety first and not make arrests “unless absolutely necessary.”

I thought that police only make arrests when "absolutely necessary" anyhow. I don't want my tax dollars wasted on arrests of people who are litterbugs or jaywalkers. I'm extremely sorry for the deaths of those two officers, but that's a risk for anyone who joins the police force, and cops know this. What? NYC's finest are now terrified of leaving a parking ticket on someone's car? Are they now so timid that they do nothing except sit and watch when someone passes them doing 100mph on the highway? Pffft! I don't believe it. If the police force has been acting in a professional, responsible manner, they have nothing to worry about. If they've been cutting legal corners, the department needs a serious overhaul - that simple.
There's a difference between dying on the job while actually protecting citizens/well being and being killed execution style simply because they are police.

One is an unfortunate hazard, and the other is a disgusting reaction to an overblown issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies