Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 08:37 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,763,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I think a better tactic for reducing the spread of flu would be: Instead of trying to get everyone to take a vaccine, make it a mandatory policy for employers to require those with the flu to stay home...Do you know how many people in my office are now sick just because one lady refused to take sick time? How many children are now potentially at risk simply because this lady refused to stay home and sleep it off.....
I agree that employers who offer sick days should actively encourage workers to stay home when sick. Employers who don't offer sick days (pay) should offer opportunities to make up hours later.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
No stats, just things picked up in conversation. Interestingly another thing picked up by observation is that more people I know how get the flu vaccine get the flu, year after year. The CDC thinks hand washing can help to prevent the flu. Handwashing: Clean Hands Save Lives | CDC They don't try to downplay it's effect. Everything we ingest or inject can have side effects. The side effects for a person not on certain medications taking elderberry syrup are negligible at most.
How funny that you would use the CDC as a source when you think they're full of it! That is a general handwashing article. I've said over and over than handwashing is always good practice. However, there is little evidence-based research (ala Jefferson) that it does much to prevent the spread of flu. http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/content/202/7/1146.full
This article sums it up well:
Some doubt hand washing stops H1N1 - CNN.com
"Story Highlights
Hand washing can reduce risk of catching a cold; not as helpful against H1N1
H1N1 virus not stable on hand; instead it thrives in droplets of water
Inhaling airborne particles, from cough or sneeze, results in a bigger dose of virus
Regardless, washing hands "really is wonderful" for preventing many diseases"

I wash my hands constantly at work. I always recommend good handwashing. One of my favorite mantras, especially for pink-eye, is "when you think you've washed them enough, wash them again". You know you're doing everything you can when you wash your hands frequently, and in a situation like randomparent's, get really stringent about it.

"The side effects of elderberry are negligible at most" - perhaps, but there's also no evidence of serious adverse effects of flu vaccine, which is much more likely to prevent the flu.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How funny that you would use the CDC as a source when you think they're full of it! That is a general handwashing article. I've said over and over than handwashing is always good practice. However, there is little evidence-based research (ala Jefferson) that it does much to prevent the spread of flu. Does Hand Hygiene Reduce Influenza Transmission?
This article sums it up well:
Some doubt hand washing stops H1N1 - CNN.com
"Story Highlights
Hand washing can reduce risk of catching a cold; not as helpful against H1N1
H1N1 virus not stable on hand; instead it thrives in droplets of water
Inhaling airborne particles, from cough or sneeze, results in a bigger dose of virus
Regardless, washing hands "really is wonderful" for preventing many diseases"

I wash my hands constantly at work. I always recommend good handwashing. One of my favorite mantras, especially for pink-eye, is "when you think you've washed them enough, wash them again". You know you're doing everything you can when you wash your hands frequently, and in a situation like randomparent's, get really stringent about it.

"The side effects of elderberry are negligible at most" - perhaps, but there's also no evidence of serious adverse effects of flu vaccine, which is much more likely to prevent the flu.
I used the CDC because I know you trust them.

Isn't there a flu vaccine injured poster on this thread?

Old 01-05-2015, 08:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:

Not one with any injury actually documented to be from the flu vaccine.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:05 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,719,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Katiana's a smart cookie with many years of experience in pediatric medicine. Although I do not work in health care, I come from a family of medical practitioners from techs to doctors. I think Kat gives good advice, and I always take her posts seriously.
As do I.

No idea why people are being so nasty about someone providing what is essentially a public service.

Have to say, given the ignorance illustrated by so many in this thread, I am very glad that my exposure to people has been limited this holiday season.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:08 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,383,742 times
My status isn't quite "Boy In the Plastic Bubble," thankfully, but I must be very careful. This time of year is really hard. For the most part, I just avoid exposure to the public. I also get the flu shot, knowing that even if it is a perfect match to the circulating flu, my body will not respond the way someone with a healthy immune system does to the vaccine. My family understands how hard it is for me to fight off infection, and they help tremendously by taking precautions and letting me know when they feel even the slightest bit under the weather. My husband is a trooper and performs sick duty without complaint when someone comes down with the creeping crud in the middle of the night, which still happens occasionally even as careful as we've learned to be. Frankly, it sucks, and I really hope others never find themselves in this position.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
there's also no evidence of serious adverse effects of flu vaccine, which is much more likely to prevent the flu.
Yes there is. GBS. It may be rare but that does not mean that it never happens.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:40 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,330,053 times
Quote:

Nuremberg Codes. Are you aware there are suits against forced vaccinations citing this code? No human experimentation without informed consent. There was a pregnant nurse who was fired because she refused a mandatory flu shot and hospital would not allow her to wear a mask and gloves instead. She won her suit and it was in part based on the Nuremberg Codes.

I saw another just recently brought for this current flu shot regarding mandated flu shots in daycare and preschools. Again, citing the Nuremberg Codes. That one has not been litigated yet. The argument being that this current flu shot was declared not effective, but that it is being mandated based on experimentation of humans.

Very interesting. You might want to do a search. BTW, no Flu Pandemic has been declared with milliions of people dying. As such, government cannot force mandatory flu shots on anyone. Sorry, greater good concept does not apply.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:48 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,878,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Nuremberg Codes. Are you aware there are suits against forced vaccinations citing this code? No human experimentation without informed consent. There was a pregnant nurse who was fired because she refused a mandatory flu shot and hospital would not allow her to wear a mask and gloves instead. She won her suit and it was in part based on the Nuremberg Codes.

I saw another just recently brought for this current flu shot regarding mandated flu shots in daycare and preschools. Again, citing the Nuremberg Codes. That one has not been litigated yet. The argument being that this current flu shot was declared not effective, but that it is being mandated based on experimentation of humans.

Very interesting. You might want to do a search. BTW, no Flu Pandemic has been declared with milliions of people dying. As such, government cannot force mandatory flu shots on anyone. Sorry, greater good concept does not apply.
Socialized medicine will force vaccines, because, the herd is considered "social".

O'Bama is our shepherd.

There is deeming evidence to support this.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:58 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,878,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I think a better tactic for reducing the spread of flu would be: Instead of trying to get everyone to take a vaccine, make it a mandatory policy for employers to require those with the flu to stay home...Do you know how many people in my office are now sick just because one lady refused to take sick time? How many children are now potentially at risk simply because this lady refused to stay home and sleep it off.....
My high school Latin teacher didn't miss a day of teaching for 26 years.

She told our class that she didn't have time for such nonsense.

She said that she simply didn't GET colds.

"Social adversity shapes humans’ immune systems—and probably their susceptibility to disease—by altering the expression of large groups of genes."

http://www.the-scientist.com//?artic...ess-Fractures/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.