Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 04:16 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times

Advertisements

From the Washington Post:

Quote:
Just before Christmas, a Post poll revealed the American people’s final verdict. The vast majority agree with the CIA that these techniques were necessary and justified. A majority think that Feinstein should never have released her report. And — most importantly — 76 percent said they would do it again to protect the country.
Even with the poll being rigged by referring to question about the CIA's use of enhanced interrogation techniques as "torture" (which they weren't), a landslide 76% of Americans support the use of these techniques, especially when in a "ticking time bomb" type scenario.

This is an excellent article. You guys should check it out.

Even with the vast majority of the media going "all-in" to promote the left's narrative on this, Americans still support the policies used by the Bush Administration. Which after 9/11, did keep us safe after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 04:21 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
The vast majority of Germans agreed at the beginning of world war 2 as well.

I know many people on the right who vehemently disagree with torture, many of them former veterans.

Then look at the wording of the poll:
Quote:
In general, 58 percent say the torture of suspected terrorists can be justified “often” or “sometimes.”
Often vs's sometimes? Really? That covers a huge range. This is how you manipulate polling data.

and 58% is a "vast majority"? No its not.

And where do you get the 76 percent number? I dont see that in the article.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:23 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
paragraph 2 from the araticle...

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who chairs the Senate intelligence committee, launched a six-year, 6,000-page, $40 million investigation into the CIA interrogation program, with the goal of convincing Americans that a) the program did not work and that b) enhanced interrogations were wrong and should never again be permitted.

She failed on all counts.

They lost the debate. However, it's a debate that costed them no money personally since I paid for it. So they didn't lose that much.

$40 million to attempt to get people to turn away from common sense. Lord help us.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The vast majority of Germans agreed at the beginning of world war 2 as well.

I know many people on the right who vehemently disagree with torture, many of them former veterans.

Then look at the wording of the poll:

Often vs's sometimes? Really? That covers a huge range. This is how you manipulate polling data.

and 58% is a "vast majority"? No its not.

And where do you get the 76 percent number? I dont see that in the article.
If you cannot see it in the article, you might want to get your eye's checked. I copied and pasted the quoted section above straight from the article, which includes the 76% comment.

76% is a vast majority. And the "sometimes" is at a minimum referring to ticking time bomb scenario, which I referred to in the OP.

As far as true torture, I am opposed to that myself, except possibly in the case of "ticking time bomb" scenarios, which is the only time in my view that the use of these enhanced interrogation techniques can possibly make sense.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
paragraph 2 from the araticle...

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who chairs the Senate intelligence committee, launched a six-year, 6,000-page, $40 million investigation into the CIA interrogation program, with the goal of convincing Americans that a) the program did not work and that b) enhanced interrogations were wrong and should never again be permitted.

She failed on all counts.

They lost the debate. However, it's a debate that costed them no money personally since I paid for it. So they didn't lose that much.

$40 million to attempt to get people to turn away from common sense. Lord help us.
She failed? I think thats an opinion that is not supported by any evidence. The report just came out. And its heavily redacted as I recall. Has that changed?

Old 01-05-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
She failed? I think thats an opinion that is not supported by any evidence. The report just came out. And its heavily redacted as I recall. Has that changed?
The evidence is the poll that I quoted above.

Read the article and see for yourself. Unfortunately, the board rules will not allow more than a few sentences of an article like this to be quoted, as I have discovered, so if you want to see the context and support for these sorts of statements, you pretty well have to click on the link and read the article for yourself.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:33 PM

57,314 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Yes lets change the definition of torture based on national polls.

Maybe we should have gone by polls regarding voting rights for women and blacks.

You change your principles when you are scared then you have no principles.

Since when is a poll a debate?

Old 01-05-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
If you cannot see it in the article, you might want to get your eye's checked. I copied and pasted the quoted section above straight from the article, which includes the 76% comment.

76% is a vast majority. And the "sometimes" is at a minimum referring to ticking time bomb scenario, which I referred to in the OP.

As far as true torture, I am opposed to that myself, except possibly in the case of "ticking time bomb" scenarios, which is the only time in my view that the use of these enhanced interrogation techniques can possibly make sense.
Actually theres two links in the original post. I went to the wrong one not realizing that. Sorry about that.

But heres my point.....rarely or never justified hits 39 percent.

Quote:
Americans were asked, “Looking ahead, do you feel that torture of suspected terrorists can often be justified, sometimes justified, rarely justified or never justified?” Note that the pollsters used the loaded word “torture” (even though the CIA contends that the techniques did not constitute torture), which should have biased the question in favor of the critics. Instead, 17 percent replied they would support using the techniques “often,” 40 percent “sometimes” and 19 percent “rarely.” Only 20 percent said the techniques should “never” be justified.
In the end though, trying to justify torture via public poll is revolting.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes lets change the definition of torture based on national polls.
LOL. It was you guys that have taken it upon yourself to try to expand and change the definition of torture in order to undermine the national security of our country. And while you have unfortunately succeeded in undermining our national security, in this way and also a host of others, the American people have clearly rejected the left's "narrative" on this topic.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Actually theres two links in the original post. I went to the wrong one not realizing that. Sorry about that.

But heres my point.....rarely or never justified hits 39 percent.

In the end though, trying to justify torture via public poll is revolting.
Just as a reminder, rarely was all these enhanced interrogation techniques were ever used. In fact, they were only used with three people, who all provided actionable intelligence that proved to be critically helpful.

And I would be one of the people in the 39%, by the way. So your attempt to co-opt the "rarely" category as part of your side, which is what your protests were directed against from start to finish (as these techniques were only used "rarely) is really self serving to an extreme degree and completely over the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies