Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 04:57 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,998,265 times

Advertisements

Republicans hate it when the country does well. They were hoping for another recession. If you want another recession vote Republican.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:02 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
The real unemployment is higher than 5.6% it is 12%

The government does not want you to know this.
That must be why they publish that number every month alongside the "traditional" U-4 UE rate eh? - because they "don't want you to know it"?

I swear, wingnuts display a complete lack of common sense.

Ken

Old 01-10-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Here, some definitions for you so you don't look silly. Also, go back over your response. One of them says 2014 was "left out" when it's clearly there.

Fair enough for that particular statistic - 2014 is included in that particular Top 10 list. Where is it in the OTHER lists? Based on the numbers, 2014 should be there.

Civilian noninstitutional population: Persons 16 years of age and older residing in the 50 states and the District of Columbia, who are not inmates of institutions (e.g., penal and mental facilities, homes for the aged), and who are not on active duty in the Armed Forces.

Civilian labor force: All persons in the civilian noninstitutional population classified as either employed or unemployed.

Um, again, those are the SAME THING. If you disagree with that, explain to me who is in one group but not the other. After all, the Civilian labor force is "All persons in the civilian noninstitutional population classified as either employed or unemployed." WHO in the civilian noninstitutional population does that LEAVE OUT????? You are either employed or unemployed.

Employed persons: All persons who, during the reference week (week including the twelfth day of the month), (a) did any work as paid employees, worked in their own business or profession or on their own farm, or worked 15 hours or more as unpaid workers in an enterprise operated by a member of their family, or (b) were not working but who had jobs from which they were temporarily absent. Each employed person is counted only once, even if he or she holds more than one job.

Unemployed persons: All persons who had no employment during the reference week, were available for work, except for temporary illness, and had made specific efforts to find employment some time during the 4 week-period ending with the reference week. Persons who were waiting to be recalled to a job from which they had been laid off need not have been looking for work to be classified as unemployed.

Unemployment rate: The ratio of unemployed to the civilian labor force expressed as a percent [i.e., 100 times (unemployed/labor force)].

I know all that already, what's your point? Do you have one?

How are the labor force components (i.e., civilian noninstitutional population, civilian labor force, employed, unemployed, and unemployment rate) defined?
Ken

Old 01-10-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Everything is great. It's as if nothing ever happened and it only cost $7.8 trillion or $829,000 per job.
It was a RECESSION (and a BIG ONE) - as your chart shows. Every recession costs money - that's the way it works. A recession means lower tax revenues and higher costs to the government for UE payments etc.
Welcome to the REAL WORLD.

Ken

Old 01-10-2015, 06:55 AM

998 posts, read 1,326,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Republicans hate it when the country does well. They were hoping for another recession. If you want another recession vote Republican.
why do Republicans hate America? ???

Old 01-10-2015, 07:12 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Ken
You claimed those were "two different statistics." Your words, not mine.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:23 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't get why see heads exploding like cluster bombs every time something good happens to the United States.
Conservatives and Obama haters have a vested interest in the economy and country doing poorly. They will take any sign of good news and twist it to suit their negative self-absorbed agenda.

It appears these "patriots" would prefer to see the country sink than for Obama to get any credit at all for doing a decent job. It is rather pathetic. There apparently isn't enough actual bad news in the world--they feel compelled to invent more.

Then there is 2016. If the economy is not doing as poorly as when Bush presided, it is not going to bode well for the Republicans.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:30 AM

52,693 posts, read 47,975,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I sometimes wonder if liberals on this forum actually understand how percentages work?
They don't.

Quote:
I also wonder if liberals on this forum remember that America was at rock bottom.
They still don't, and they don't give a damn.

Quote:

When the only way to go is UP, then how is it logical to celebrate this newfound "growth." OF COURSE it's going to grow....it has no where else to go!

I'm with you, and I'm not buying into any notion that this nation's economy is making any kind of improvement. Still too many people out of the labor force and too many on welfare. The leftists will try to give Obama any kind of positive credit for this phony upswing, but you and I know that Barry only wants to destroy our economy and keep things rock bottom so we wouldn't compete with other countries.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:59 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
The above reminds me of what one might see in a banana republic, where the leader doing well and the country doing well is considered one and the same, and thus the patriotism of the opposition is always suspect. If the above posters want to see an un-American attitude they should look inward toward their own. This attitude, which the neocons wore on their sleeves under George W. Bush, seems to have been absorbed in all post-9/11 American politics. As articles in recent years such as this one and this one point out, Juan Linz posed that the Presidential system is inherently unstable and is prone to these phenomena. Parliamentary democracy lacks the combination of head-of-state reverence and head-of-government power in one man that lends itself to dictatorship. Presidential democracy has worked in the U.S. longer than any other country*, but perhaps our luck is running out and we will see dual (democratic) legitimacy become untenable in the near future . In that event, assuming the union isn't dissolved, the choice will be between Presidential dictatorship and Congressional supremacy, a choice many Latin American countries have faced before with a poor rate of making the right choice.

My view is that the decay has already begun, since among the people the federal government has been losing legitimacy in a significant way ever since the 2000 Presidential election. The legitimacy of having your President elected by the Supreme Court is dubious and could have been easily contested, and add in 9/11, the emergence of a surveillance and police state, the Iraq War, torture, "patriotism is loyalty to our leader", the very real possibility of impeachment in 2007-08, a financial crash followed by unlimited bailouts and inflationism for the elite against the will of the public, and Obamacare and everything since, all in just 15 years, and you're facing a serious crisis of legitimacy.

*I consider the system to have failed on the occasion of the Civil War, but even then it worked for almost a century and a half afterward; only Chile's system from the 1830's until the 1970's came close to that length and it was notably less stable.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:02 AM

52,693 posts, read 47,975,215 times
Quote:
Wrong. We want this country to do well. The bogus numbers shown for 2014 are no different from the deception we've been given by the leftist media in previous years. 92 million Americans out of work does not a great economy make. Your Democrat comrades, meanwhile, have seen to it that those suffering from this will stay suffering. There has been no considerable job growth during Obama's six years in office. Conservatives are lobbying for things to improve the economy only to get shot down by Darth Barry, and that will only continue until the next president goes in.

Quote:
why do Republicans hate America? ???
We don't, and that's not the topic of this thread, so let's get back to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies