Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 02:17 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Yeah, it's a real shame men in the middle east are mentally incapable of comprehending concepts such as peace and love, isn't it? Hence, why men over there don't even think twice about stoning a woman to death or killing their daughters just because of an offense that if done in the west wouldn't even be considered a crime.

Is it any wonder why there are so many "honor killings" with fathers killing their daughters just because, god FORBID they see through the BS and actually attempt to get an education? Or involve themselves with a culture that isn't rooted in barbarism/sadism/a prophet that loved to rape little girls?

Or why they think they get 72 virgins as a "prize" for acting like barbaric animals. Guess what, those 72 "virgins" they get, actually have 72 STD's (I wish)!!
That's not the religion's fault. That's due to the power-crazy psychos who use religion for the sole desperate purpose of control. Throughout history, people have done terrible things in the name of Christianity -- even the Bible seems to condone things that nowadays would seem horrifically barbaric.

Nowadays, Christians have greatly mellowed out as their lands became more stable. Right now, Islam is at that 'crusades' stage. It's not because Muslims are innately less 'evolved', it's because they tend to live in unstable countries. And typically countries where the wealth disparity is stark and socioeconomic mobility virtually non-existent. The powerful few at the top in those countries don't want citizens to revolt against them, so they instill in the 'commoners' that the West/infidels are to blame for their problems. This is what breeds the extremists, and unfortunately attitudes can spread like wildfire.

That's why I don't agree with directing all the anger to all Muslims, and especially not to Islam itself. Islam and Christianity are both Abrahamic religions that can either be practiced privately/sanely or used as a veneer for aggression and control. What I would really place the blame on is the source of that aggression and control -- the unapologetically greedy monarchs and elite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 02:27 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,579,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
That's not the religion's fault. That's due to the power-crazy psychos who use religion for the sole desperate purpose of control. Throughout history, people have done terrible things in the name of Christianity -- even the Bible seems to condone things that nowadays would seem horrifically barbaric.

Nowadays, Christians have greatly mellowed out as their lands became more stable. Right now, Islam is at that 'crusades' stage. It's not because Muslims are innately less 'evolved', it's because they tend to live in unstable countries. And typically countries where the wealth disparity is stark and socioeconomic mobility virtually non-existent. The powerful few at the top in those countries don't want citizens to revolt against them, so they instill in the 'commoners' that the West/infidels are to blame for their problems. This is what breeds the extremists, and unfortunately attitudes can spread like wildfire.

That's why I don't agree with directing all the anger to all Muslims, and especially not to Islam itself. Islam and Christianity are both Abrahamic religions that can either be practiced privately/sanely or used as a veneer for aggression and control. What I would really place the blame on is the source of that aggression and control -- the unapologetically greedy monarchs and elite.
So then why has islam had such a problem getting with the times? Why hasn't Islam had its Martin Luthor? Even back in the 18th century when America's founding fathers created the constitution it was FAR more progressive than the vast majority of constitutions in other countries - in particular the middle eastern countries than today? If you had to choose between living in an islamic society today in the 21st century or live in America in the late 18th century, what would you choose? For me I'd definitely choose America way back when.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:31 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
So then why has islam had such a problem getting with the times? Why hasn't Islam had its Martin Luthor? Even back in the 18th century when America's founding fathers created the constitution it was FAR more progressive than the vast majority of constitutions in other countries - in particular the middle eastern countries than today? If you had to choose between living in an islamic society today in the 21st century or live in America in the late 18th century, what would you choose? For me I'd definitely choose America way back when.
How much real life experience do you have in Islamic societies, or among Muslims in our society?

P.S. Martin Luther was no bundle of sunshine. In certain ways the Reformation made things worse in the short term.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:50 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Trump get is right. We must stop being politically correct about the issue of radical Islamic terrorism, or it will only get worse. Political correctness serves to enable and protect these vile killers. Everyone has to see that now.

Quote:
Trump warns after London attack: 'We must stop being politically correct'

President Trump warned after a deadly attack in London that terrorism will “only get worse” if officials don’t “get down to the business of security for our own people” and end political correctness.

“We must stop being politically correct and get down to the business of security for our people. If we don't get smart it will only get worse,” he tweeted early Sunday.

We must stop being politically correct and get down to the business of security for our people. If we don't get smart it will only get worse
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 4, 2017

"At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is 'no reason to be alarmed!' " Trump said in a subsequent tweet.

At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is "no reason to be alarmed!"

Trump also focused on the weapons used in the attack.

Do you notice we are not having a gun debate right now? That's because they used knives and a truck!

Trump’s tweets follow an attack late Saturday on and near the London Bridge that killed at least seven people and wounded almost 50 others.

“This is our city… and we will never be cowed by terrorism,” London Mayor Sadiq Khan said during a statement in which he called those behind the attack “barbaric cowards.”

“Londoners will see an increased police presence today and over the course and over the course of the next few days," Khan added. "No reason to be alarmed.”

Old 06-04-2017, 06:54 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
They say that right after they label and mistreat Christians.
I am a Christian-- and that's why I do NOT like to see them demonized - - Jesus didn't

Old 06-04-2017, 06:56 AM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I just don't like seeing people labeled and mistreated because of their religion
Me, too.

They should stop beheading Christians in the ME, then.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:58 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Me, too.

They should stop beheading Christians in the ME, then.
agree they hate us- they are not Christlike - but are we to be like them or Christ? make up your minds - remember the LIONS

Old 06-04-2017, 07:02 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Why is sympathy for Islam so common on the political left? (multiculturalism, enemy)

Why does the right kiss the butt of the very heart of Islam and the home of one of the most radical forms of Islam, Saudi Arabia, and omit them from the travel ban list?

Old 06-04-2017, 07:02 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
A few prefaces: first of all, I understand that not everyone on the left is sympathetic towards Islam. Second, this thread isn't an attempt to troll; it is an honest question I have wondered for years. Third, this thread is not intended to be a place to debate the merits of various religions. My purpose is to solicit the opinion of people self-identified to the left of center as to how and why they have developed their positions regarding Islam.

Why is it that the political left is often so sympathetic to Islam? From the research I have done about Islam (several college courses including three semesters of Arabic, numerous books, documentaries and being a news junky) the political left and Islam have virtually nothing in common. In fact, many of the tenets of Islam are diametrically opposed to the values held by the left (homosexuality, women's rights, pacifism vs. violence, the role of religion in government, etc.). When there is an issue in the news that pits Islam against Christianity or Judaism, the left sides with Islam the vast majority of the time.

The left has condemned the Paris tragedy, but these condemnations usually include qualifiers about how not all Muslims are bad (which we already know) or how not all terrorists are Muslims (even though the VAST majority of modern terrorists are Muslims). Instead of talking constructively about ways to reduce Islamic fanaticism, liberal media outlets seem to spend more time sympathizing with a group that perpetrates violence in response the the values the left holds most dear.

All insight is appreciated. As someone that is not left-wing, this is something that completely baffles me.
This "old thread" is today's "current affairs"!

The left under Obama let more refugees in and the same happened in Europe.

Pim Fortuyn, who was murdered decades ago in the Netherlands and most likely would have become the Prime Minister of Holland if he wasn't murdered, said all these things and predicted what would happen! "Sadly"he was right!

Old 06-04-2017, 12:48 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I just don't like seeing people labeled and mistreated because of their religion
These radical islamic terrrorists are the worldwide leaders in that sort of behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies