Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 04:36 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
It is only the homosexual act that I have been speaking of. And you are right that is what the passage speaks of also. The temptation is something entirely different.

In any case, from a Biblical perspective, homosexuality is something that homosexuals do, it is not who they fundamentally are. Which is why we speak about the condemnation of the sin rather than the sinner, the latter of which we all are.
So God makes people gay, but wants them to pretend they aren't gay or he will make them burn in hell for not doing so? That's like someone handing you the key to the bank vault and putting you in it, but claiming they aren't culpable when you steal all the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 04:37 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
I think what he/she is saying is that your quoted passage speaks about the act of gay sex and not the state of being a homosexual. One can be a homosexual and a virgin or abstinent.
What 'act' of gay sex?

Paul referred to men and women engaging in ritual sex acts in the pagan temples to worship the Greek fertility gods in Corinth. That's rather obvious if one reads the previous verses and knows about the cultural practices at that time. The men and women were first having vaginal sex, then exchanged that for men having anal sex with women and anal sex with men. Nothing to do with homosexuals or homosexuality.

Even St Augustine referred to Paul's letter when talking about husbands and wives and men having anal sex with their wives.

But that's not even the main point of the whole letter. He was writing to his Jewish followers about how they condemned Gentile followers but were guilty of the same things themselves. The verses about pagan worshipping practices using ritual sex was a kind of early 'shock jock spin' to drive home some points. His readers would have known exactly what he was referring to in the cultural context of the time. Taking it out of context and trying to use it to condemn 21st century gay and lesbian people is either bigoted ignorance or deliberate dishonesty. Which is rather ironic given the points Paul was trying to make.

Last edited by Ceist; 01-16-2015 at 04:46 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 04:37 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Why do some demand special rights to practice deviancy because of a mental aberration?
To many (myself included) this kind of ignorance and bigotry is far more indicative of deviancy or mental aberration than a person's personal gender preference.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:42 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Oh, and since that poster's next post will be about how it is ME who is being intolerant and bigoted, hating on poor him because of his views, I'd point out (again) that being intolerant of intolerance is entirely appropriate, as any reasonable person knows.

I'd also point out the fact that precluding consensual adult couples from marrying based solely on their gender is the very definition of bigotry and discrimination.

I'd also once again state the fact that there is not one single reason to be offended or disgusted by homosexuality, or to oppose same sex marriage that isn't based in fear, hate, ignorance, bigotry, or some combination of those things.

Not one.

Nobody anywhere at any time has ever proposed one. This is because they don't exist.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
"Love the sinner, hate the sin".
Why are you quoting Gandhi?

Old 01-16-2015, 04:52 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
I'm just sad that it's this SC that will hear the case. This is the biggest bunch of losers ever to sit on that court in my opinion.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
It is only the homosexual act that I have been speaking of. And you are right that is what the passage speaks of also. The temptation is something entirely different.

In any case, from a Biblical perspective, homosexuality is something that homosexuals do, it is not who they fundamentally are. Which is why we speak about the condemnation of the sin rather than the sinner, the latter of which we all are.
So not only do you not know much about the Bible, you don't know anything about sexual orientation, yet you condemn people anyway?

Read Matthew 23

Old 01-16-2015, 06:38 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
As one has stated many times before, SSM will be the law of the land in all fifty states before Obama leaves office in 2016. You mark my words by July 2015 when the SCOTUS issues it's ruling the remaining state bans will be declared unconstitutional. The only question will be what conservatives do as their next move as with abortion and the other civil rights movements.

The Kennedy majority from DOMA is still in place so unless a justice from that group dies, becomes ill or for some reason cannot hear this latest case you have five votes right there.

When DOMA was struck down about 20 states had legal SSM, now that number is nearly 40. Just as with Loving vs. Virginia the court will be mopping up what remains after American society largely has settled the issue. By the time of the Loving case interracial marriage was already legal in a majority of the states, it was only Virginia and some others were it remained not. Therefore on balance the SCOTUS's decision was not so much earth shattering but going along with where a bulk of the American population had already headed.

What the Court probably will do is craft a very narrow decision that does not give to suggest trampling of state's rights, but restrict their ruling to civil rights based upon the 14th Amendment. Certain states/people didn't like that when applied to African-Americans and the Civil Rights legislation and so forth of the 1950's and 1960's but things are what they are, so persons had just better make up their minds to things.

OTOH having studied much American history am never surprised at the capacity to hate some people have and thus as with abortion and minority civil rights do not expect those against SSM to go quietly into that sweet dark night.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:47 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
As one has stated many times before, SSM will be the law of the land in all fifty states before Obama leaves office in 2016. You mark my words by July 2015 when the SCOTUS issues it's ruling the remaining state bans will be declared unconstitutional. The only question will be what conservatives do as their next move as with abortion and the other civil rights movements.

The Kennedy majority from DOMA is still in place so unless a justice from that group dies, becomes ill or for some reason cannot hear this latest case you have five votes right there.

When DOMA was struck down about 20 states had legal SSM, now that number is nearly 40. Just as with Loving vs. Virginia the court will be mopping up what remains after American society largely has settled the issue. By the time of the Loving case interracial marriage was already legal in a majority of the states, it was only Virginia and some others were it remained not. Therefore on balance the SCOTUS's decision was not so much earth shattering but going along with where a bulk of the American population had already headed.

What the Court probably will do is craft a very narrow decision that does not give to suggest trampling of state's rights, but restrict their ruling to civil rights based upon the 14th Amendment. Certain states/people didn't like that when applied to African-Americans and the Civil Rights legislation and so forth of the 1950's and 1960's but things are what they are, so persons had just better make up their minds to things.

OTOH having studied much American history am never surprised at the capacity to hate some people have and thus as with abortion and minority civil rights do not expect those against SSM to go quietly into that sweet dark night.
I agree with you. I realized that they would likely rule in it's favor when they refused to hear the cases in the fall. If ever they wanted to nip that in the bud it would have been then. I just figured that the SC was hoping the string of victories in courts would continue and they might not have to get involved is all. I do believe that we will see a rash of "religious freedom" bills coming out of this though. Ones that will allow bakers,churches,photographers, etc etc etc, to deny people who want to seek a wedding if they are homosexual.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:49 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
What does the Bible have to do with anything? We don't have a state religion. On the other hand, the people can ban behavior that is found repugnant and offensive to their sensibilities. There is no "right" to gay marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies