Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times

Advertisements

I would say poverty starts with those who do not eve have clean water to drink .The bottom is always the bottom. As we measure poverty it does not consider anything but earned income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 12:17 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Who taught them to he ashamed?

Liberals.

That's makes your claim tautological sophistry.
I don't think Adam Smith encountered a lot of liberals in 18th-century Scotland. But there was no lack of poverty. And there was certainly no lack of shame, either.

As for the school uniform diversion, I don't know what to say except that Adam Smith wasn't talking of actual linen shirts.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:38 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I don't think Adam Smith encountered a lot of liberals in 18th-century Scotland. But there was no lack of poverty. And there was certainly no lack of shame, either.

As for the school uniform diversion, I don't know what to say except that Adam Smith wasn't talking of actual linen shirts.
By 18th Century standards Adam Smith was a LIBERAL ! You should have seen what Conservatives were like back then. You know the kind of people who burned people they disagreed with at the stake.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:39 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,057 times
It's not just about material wellbeing, after a certain point. Status and power are zero sum. A wildly inequitable distribution of these things is a problem as well.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:07 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,456,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The guy who pretty much wrote the handbook on capitalism, who coined the term "an invisible hand", whose "Wealth of Nations" is arguably the most influential text on economics and to some extent politics?

Here's some of what he has to say on poverty and why relative poverty still causes a very real degree of suffering. Shirts are mentioned.

In modern parlance, we'd say that humans are social creatures and that being excluded - on any grounds, including relative poverty - is stressful.
Here is Smith on social engineering:

Quote:
The man of system, on the contrary, is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamoured with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government, that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it. He goes on to establish it completely and in all its parts, without any regard either to the great interests, or to the strong prejudices which may oppose it. He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chess-board. He does not consider that the pieces upon the chess-board have no other principle of motion besides that which the hand impresses upon them; but that, in the great chess- board of human society, every single piece has a principle of motion of its own, altogether different from that which the legislature might chuse to impress upon it. If those two principles coincide and act in the same direction, the game of human society will go on easily and harmoniously, and is very likely to be happy and successful. If they are opposite or different, the game will go on miserably, and the society must be at all times in the highest degree of disorder.
Smith's invisible hand:
Quote:
The rich only select from the heap what is most precious and agreeable. They consume little more than the poor, and in spite of their natural selfishness and rapacity, though they mean only their own conveniency, though the sole end which they propose from the labours of all the thousands whom they employ, be the gratification of their own vain and insatiable desires, they divide with the poor the produce of all their improvements. They are led by an invisible hand to make nearly the same distribution of the necessaries of life, which would have been made, had the earth been divided into equal portions among all its inhabitants, and thus without intending it, without knowing it, advance the interest of the society, and afford means to the multiplication of the species
The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Old 01-24-2015, 10:58 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
What is poverty? The late political scientist Edward Banfield provided four degrees of poverty:

destitution, which is lack of income sufficient to assure physical survival and to prevent suffering from hunger, exposure, or remediable or preventable illness;

want, which is lack of enough income to support essential welfare;

hardship, which is lack of enough to prevent acute persistent discomfort or inconvenience. To this he added a fourth:

relative deprivation which is a lack of enough income, status, or whatever else may be valued to prevent one from feeling poor in comparison to others.
Hmmm...well before Obamacare 15.3% of americans were destitute. Its still a significant number, especially in some red states.

please..define essential welfare so we can define "want"

hardship....acute inconvenience....define that. is that the lack of a car? Or?

relative deprivation is rapidly rising......are you proud of this?

Old 01-24-2015, 11:06 PM

30,344 posts, read 19,143,696 times
I've worked all over the world (currently in Peru) and by and large the really poor of the USA are caused largely by drug and alcohol abuse or mental disorder. The lower classes in the USA have it easier than most of the world. Of course, you are going to feel jealous or negative vibes about your situation if you are relatively less off than most of your neighbors. But you have the opportunity to advance yourself, as I and m wife have through education, hard work, and perseverance.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:54 PM

32,057 posts, read 15,052,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've worked all over the world (currently in Peru) and by and large the really poor of the USA are caused largely by drug and alcohol abuse or mental disorder.
The lower classes in the USA have it easier than most of the world. Of course, you are going to feel jealous or negative vibes about your situation if you are relatively less off than most of your neighbors. But you have the opportunity to advance yourself, as I and m wife have through education, hard work, and perseverance.
I don't agree with this at all but if you have proof I'd love to see it.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:20 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,172 times
Quote:
I've worked all over the world (currently in Peru) and by and large the really poor of the USA are caused largely by drug and alcohol abuse or mental disorder. The lower classes in the USA have it easier than most of the world. Of course, you are going to feel jealous or negative vibes about your situation if you are relatively less off than most of your neighbors. But you have the opportunity to advance yourself, as I and m wife have through education, hard work, and perseverance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I don't agree with this at all but if you have proof I'd love to see it.
PTSD and so on can lay a person real low even if they WANT to take care of business. I know 1st hand here. Not fun.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:27 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
Quote:
I've worked all over the world (currently in Peru) and by and large the really poor of the USA are caused largely by drug and alcohol abuse or mental disorder.

The lower classes in the USA have it easier than most of the world. Of course, you are going to feel jealous or negative vibes about your situation if you are relatively less off than most of your neighbors. But you have the opportunity to advance yourself, as I and m wife have through education, hard work, and perseverance.
good post tall traveler. Once poor, I saw it all around me. These people are looking for their next high. And if they do work, they don't have much drive to move upward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies