Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 06:47 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times

Advertisements

Old Roy Moore is on CNN babbling about how he is right and all other judges are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 06:50 AM

Roy Moore " I will follow the law as I interpret it"

This guy is a hoot.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:54 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Roy Moore " I will follow the law as I interpret it"

This guy is a hoot.
Gee, sounds like something Obama would do (and has!)

Old 02-12-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Gee, sounds like something Obama would do (and has!)
Probably, but Obama is not the chief justice of Alabama that was given an order by a higher court and has decided to ignore both the circuit judge AND the supreme court when given a direct order.

If you would like to discuss Obamas failures, there are plenty of threads about that topic, but Obama is not involved in the Alabama case in any way.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:59 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times

Well done, Alabama....history has almost forgotten George Wallace and Bull Conner.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:04 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,610 times
It's gonna be fun watching Obama send in Alabama's national guard to enforce this. The reaction from the GOP will be epic and will probably lose them the election. All over something that doesn't effect the economy or anything for that matter.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:33 AM

Mississippi KKK 'salutes' Alabama chief justice Roy Moore for gay marriage stance | AL.com

Quote:
The Mississippi Klan salutes Alabama's chief justice Roy Moore, for refusing to bow to the yoke of Federal tyranny," Brent Waller, the United Dixie White Knights' imperial wizard
At least old Roy has some support.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:40 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
This caught my eye: the fact is that the indicators imply that legal gay marriage helps strengthen and build up "the fabric of ... civilized society" "indicators imply?" I see no grounds for the conclusion.
Because to admit that the example I provided actually did indicate what I said it indicated you would have to admit your perspective was flawed, and you don't seem inclined to do that. That shouldn't be surprising: People generally refuse to allow themselves to accept the positive aspects of things they hate and the negative aspects of things they like, much less publicly admit those things, so your response is not especially strange.

Quote:
Nevertheless, this entire gay marriage debate has an erroneous focus. I don't care what adults do or how they join their lives with a partner whether legally or otherwise, but I do not believe the gay community has a right to redefine the word "marriage".
Explicitly: They're not saying that. They are saying that what you define as marriage, with regard to the nature of the relationships, their worth, and the inherent rights and obligations, is what their marriages are.

Even if you cannot accept that.

Quote:
Most of them are intelligent and creative -- they ought to come up with another word if they don't like "civil unions".
You know that such rhetoric is vacuous evasion. This isn't about the word - it is about the thousand-plus provisions in the laws of hundreds of jurisdictions. Marriage is the word in those laws, and you cannot wish that reality away or do a simple "find and replace". To believe such would be incredibly naive.

That, and the fact that their marriages are effectively what you define as marriage, demonstrates the inanely frivolous nature of your comment quoted above.

Quote:
If you say that "civil union" doesn't grant the same rights that marriage does, then work to get legislation passed that does.
In other words, you are trying to rationalize obstruction of justice, for effectively childish reasons. If you feel so strongly that a different phrase should be used - for all marriages including yours (since the point is to provide equal protection under the law, not separate but equal protection) - then you waste your time and effort on that.

Quote:
If gays had put as much energy and effort into that as they have into getting their relationships accepted as "marriage" they would have had far less opposition.
This comment indicates that you either have no concept of what you're saying, or you know what you're saying and know that it is categorically false. So which is it? Did you not realize the time and effort required to change the thousand-plus provisions in the laws of hundreds of jurisdictions, or are you just prevaricating to try to make your offensive perspective sound less corrupt?

Old 02-12-2015, 08:44 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
It's gonna be fun watching Obama send in Alabama's national guard to enforce this. The reaction from the GOP will be epic and will probably lose them the election. All over something that doesn't effect the economy or anything for that matter.
I doubt it will come to that. The courts are slowly beginning to issue licenses as they gain clarification. I imagine that if the Judge who struck it down puts out an order that most of the judges will comply.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:04 AM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Some more counties are starting to come along, also even if certain courts stop issuing licenses couples can go to a different county and get a legal marriage verified by the state and federal government. They might go kicking and screaming, but there isn't much they can do to stop this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies