Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 09:19 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,725,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
As has so often been stated (and is obvious) if our rights come from the Government they can be quite easily taken away and, if our Constitution is treated as a living, changing document, then our rights are on shaky ground.
They are, so much so that many people (people your comments indicate you generally don't care much about) have routinely been denied their rights, even if you cannot bring yourself to admit it. That's why some of us work so hard to fight in the interest of securing the rights of those who have suffered having their rights withheld from them for so long.

Quote:
Regarding 'values', if there is no standard, the term is meaningless and anyone can make up their own values
You mean like the leaders of your religion did? Like I said earlier - it isn't that there aren't standard values - the standard values just aren't your values. They're better than the values you profess because they are more inclusive, reflect the promotion and affirmation of the worth and dignity of people other than just the people you like, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 09:39 AM

47,020 posts, read 26,093,286 times
Quote:
Regarding 'values', if there is no standard, the term is meaningless and anyone can make up their own values, e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Tw7WhH_aQ
That's interesting, because that guy will point to his version of the Creator's inspired message and, just like you, insist that his values are beyond disputation. It's the kind of thing that makes some of us decide that people who claim to speak for God shouldn't be trusted.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:12 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,122,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
No pal !! Words MEAN EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

You can say any nonsense FOREVER.....But it changes NOTHING.
"A word is not a crystal, transparent and unchanged; it is the skin of a living thought and may vary greatly in color and content according to the circumstances and time in which it is used."

Old 02-18-2015, 10:15 AM
bUU

Oh geez, now you've done it.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:18 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,795,768 times
Quote:
Ummm, no, they don't. As anyone who pays attention to how the english language has changed over, say, just the last two hundred years would know.

I understand it is scary to think there are more colors than black and white, but pretending to yourself that life only comes in two colors and never changes is just plain silly.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:32 AM
bUU

That's a good point: Nuance is as much an anathema to the corruption that the right-wing favors as is morality.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:04 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,055,620 times
Quote:
Quite possibly the most hilarious thing I've read this week.

Quote:
As has so often been stated (and is obvious) if our rights come from the Government they can be quite easily taken away and, if our Constitution is treated as a living, changing document, then our rights are on shaky ground.
Welcome to the US Government. It's been that way since its inception. Good on you for just catching on, though.

Quote:
Regarding 'values', if there is no standard, the term is meaningless and anyone can make up their own values, e.g.
It almost brings a tear to your eye when they grow up and realize the truth of things, doesn't it?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:26 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,674,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Quite possibly the most hilarious thing I've read this week.

My Dear GrandMama stressed this point to me. ''He who has the last laugh....Laughs best.''

The sarcasm and Joke is on you, pal. Time will tell.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:38 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,194,190 times
Quote:
Oh jeez, I knew you were being sarcastic and playing an extremist. Strange hobby you have. Eh, to each their own. Some people here are really good and don't break the character - you just did. I think you are just wasting time (like I am). Remember, it's easy to play dumb but not so easy to play it smart. Anyway, enjoy your game.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:00 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,674,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Oh jeez, I knew you were being sarcastic and playing an extremist. Strange hobby you have. Eh, to each their own. Some people here are really good and don't break the character - you just did. I think you are just wasting time (like I am). Remember, it's easy to play dumb but not so easy to play it smart. Anyway, enjoy your game.
Sorry, but your ''finger on the pulse'' radar is badly broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies