Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 10:42 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times

Advertisements

The week of January 16, Muslims had set fire to at least 45 churches and looted the homes of a number of Christian ministers. Ten people were killed.

"The horrors of that weekend did not generate all that much press coverage. There were no solidarity marches for Niger’s tiny Christian community. There was no wall-to-wall cable news coverage...The New York Times published a dispatch from Reuters that appeared sympathetic to the mob... The story included quotes from a Muslim explaining why they were angry — but there were no quotes from the Christian victims. The Associated Press account was a mere four paragraphs...USA Today’s coverage lacked any commentary from pastors or priests. But they did find an imam who reminded the newspaper’s readers that the Islamic faith is peaceful."

Churches destroyed in Muslim mob attack but Bible survives | Fox News

You can read the whole opinion piece about good Muslim neighbors and a surviving bible but I want to talk about news coverage in general not this particular story.

What's wrong with our media? I'm speaking of news reporting, not opinion pieces/commentary. Don't they teach in journalism school anymore to get both sides of a story? This incident is just one international example. I used to blame the closing of overseas news bureaus for lapses regarding international news coverage but you even see problems in much less significant local news reporting, too, like (for example), when they report that in Justin Bieber Middle School (made up the name) students are throwing away their lunches and they talk to cafeteria workers, administrators and teachers but don't talk to any students.

Seriously, is it bias (deliberate), laziness (they go to the easiest person to get for an interview) or incompetence (they don't know they need to get both sides of the story)? I realize they are under a lot of pressure these days to report faster than the next guy and sometimes they get stuff wrong because of that but are these lapses in journalism something we (the readers, audience) don't care about anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 10:50 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
I agree it is odd the article does not mention Christians burning mosques, when it does fact happen in the country, and the surrounding countries which the article talks about.

I have read about both church, and mosque burnings.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-30-2015 at 11:06 AM..

Old 01-30-2015, 10:51 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Well, I realize the point you are trying to make, but I am not real convinced. I did see the news about this atrocity when it occurred two weeks ago. Reading your post, I 'googled' "45 Christian churches burned", and saw that all sorts of news organizations had reported it as it happened. I rather recall the Pope speaking of it. I do recall seeing it on television and reading about it on AP (my Kindle updates).

I agree that such atrocities do tend to drop off the 'front page' quickly, I guess because so many new atrocities arise each day. Or because of the Big Game coming up. It is all sad.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:20 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
Love how these threads expose the radical Islam apologists.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:21 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I agree it is odd the article does not mention Christians burning mosques, when it does fact happen in the country, and the surrounding countries which the article talks about.

I have read about both church, and mosque burnings.
Well, you are referring to an opinion piece, not news reporting. The story I'm getting at is in the story.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:25 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Love how these threads expose the radical Islam apologists.
Along with the simple minded bigots who can't think for themselves .

Old 01-30-2015, 11:30 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Along with the simple minded bigots who can't think for themselves .
Obamabots aren't always in these threads; they stick to the politically oriented ones in much higher numbers.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Obamabots aren't always in these threads; they stick to the politically oriented ones in much higher numbers.
I'm sorry, perhaps I should have been clear and said "right wingers" . I think we won't have any more confusion anymore.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:37 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Well, you are referring to an opinion piece, not news reporting. The story I'm getting at is in the story.
What is your point? Radical muslims kill people, and burn churches in West Africa, and some Christians have taken revenge and killed muslims and burned mosques. It is not a secret. Its a war, and not the first of its kind, and probably not the last. Today, the muslims are almost always the instigators. I do not blame the Christians for hitting back. What would you do?

Old 01-30-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What is your point? Radical muslims kill people, and burn churches in West Africa, and some Christians have taken revenge and killed muslims and burned mosques. It is not a secret. Its a war, and not the first of its kind, and probably not the last. Today, the muslims are almost always the instigators. I do not blame the Christians for hitting back. What would you do?
Why don't you check the link I gave . Plenty of instances of "Christians" burning mosques with zero provocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies