Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 09:01 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm not sure if there is a best generation, but I'm certain there's a worst. They're called Boomers.

Oh?

WHAT generation are you?

And what evidence do you have that your generation isn't the worst?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 09:26 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Yes, MY generation = the best generation while the one just before mine is the worst because they messed everything up for MY generation.

I'd have to go with the generation that created the technology that everyone enjoys today. They really changed the world. That would be a mix of baby boomers and Gen X heavy on the boomers. I don't know that there is a worst generation but I am concerned for the current generation that only seems able to use what others make for them rather than invent things themselves. It seems their "productivity" is centered around entertainment (You tube channels, social media, etc, etc, etc...) rather than producing something that will last but they are young and it is yet to be seen what they will do with the gift they have been handed.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:28 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,746 times
I think generation X/Y fits me at least a little.

The way I see it is this:

1. "No time to party, there's work to be done." (1901 - 1926).

2. "I don't see why we can't have a little fun every now and then." (Born 1927 - 1945).

3. "WOOO-HOOO PAARRRRTTYYY!" (Born between 1946 and 1964).

4. "AGGGHHH... I think I drank too much." (Born between 1965 and 1980).

5. "Well, I don't see why I should have to clean up this mess. Everyone's passed out and throwing up, but that doesn't mean the party's over... does it?" (Born between 1981 and 2000).

6. "Oh wow, this place is absolutely filthy... who's going to clean it up???" (Born after 2001).

Old 02-01-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm not sure if there is a best generation, but I'm certain there's a worst. They're called Boomers.
So you think the generation that gave you the internet, amazing medical advancements, and technology is the worst generation? We can do things today that were once only the dreams of the boomers. I think history will record the boomers as a generation that changed the world. I'm amazed at what the boomers have done. I'm a tail end boomer so I ride their coat tails but I've seen amazing changes in my lifetime. I'm kind of sad to see that the generations coming after me are doing with it. It seems to be all about fun, games and entertainment for them. You can learn ANYTHING sitting in your pajamas at home thanks mostly to the boomers. Yet people take it for granted.

Someday a generation will come along that actually uses what's out there to learn all that they can. What a generation that will be. I wish I had the internet when I was young. I read the encyclopedias back to back and lived at the library because that's all I could do. I'm sad for young people who don't use this wonderful gift that has been handed to them. They can learn anything they want any time of the day at their own pace. As you get older and life happens you find yourself without the time to do this. Personally, I'm looking forward to becoming an empty nester. For the first time in my life since I first graduated from college I'll be free to pour myself into my career and my own personal development and I'll have this wonderful tool to do it with. I can become an expert at what I do and learn anything I want. How cool is that?

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 02-01-2015 at 09:40 AM..

Old 02-01-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I think history will record the boomers as a generation that changed the world.
As opposed to all of those generations that didn't have any impact on the world whatsoever?

Old 02-01-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
I think generation X/Y fits me at least a little.

The way I see it is this:

1. "No time to party, there's work to be done." (1901 - 1926).

2. "I don't see why we can't have a little fun every now and then." (Born 1927 - 1945).

3. "WOOO-HOOO PAARRRRTTYYY!" (Born between 1946 and 1964).

4. "AGGGHHH... I think I drank too much." (Born between 1965 and 1980).

5. "Well, I don't see why I should have to clean up this mess. Everyone's passed out and throwing up, but that doesn't mean the party's over... does it?" (Born between 1981 and 2000).

6. "Oh wow, this place is absolutely filthy... who's going to clean it up OTHER THAN ME BECUAUSE I'M NOT??? " (Born after 2001).
I fixed your post.

The messes I see kids leaving for someone else to clean up just amaze me. If I don't follow around after kids in the lab they don't put things away and they leave their mess for someone else. Even with my efforts to police them, I still end up with a counter full of dirty glassware after labs. Then they tell me "Someone stole my stuff" when they don't have what they need for the next lab. Next year I'm going to label all the glassware in sharpie and then just put the dirty stuff back in their drawers for them to clean up. It'll be a lot of work but so is washing all the glassware they leave around the lab. At least I'll only have to do this once.

I feel for the custodians at my school. They have to sweep the halls between each passing time. In just 5 minutes there will be papers, pencils, books, coffee cups, water bottles, candy wrappers, gum wrappers, you name it all over the hallways. They drop it where they use it and then act like it's not theirs to clean up. I said something to my students about this once and they informed me that this is their way of giving job security to the custodians. The custodians feel so disrespected by the students. It's really sad.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
As opposed to all of those generations that didn't have any impact on the world whatsoever?
READ my post. I said "a" generation that changed the world not THE generation that changed the world. All have had impact. Some more than others. The changes in my lifetime are JUST AMAZING. The technology we have today gives future generations the ability to progress at break neck speed if they choose to put their nose to the grindstone and do the work of using the gift that has been handed to them. I find that amazing so yes, I'd say comparing generation to generation, this one had a HUGE impact in a single generation. Of course none of this would have happened without what the generations before did but the question was which ONE generation was the best. Reality is that each generation feeds the next one. IF the next generation uses what they have been handed to it's capacity, they'll definitely displace the boomers as the greatest generation. To have all of this from the time you are young will empower them to change the world 10 times faster. I wish I could live long enough to see what they do with what the generation before handed them. Right now, it looks like they're using it only for entertainment. Let's hope they grow out of that.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I fixed your post.
You don't seem to have understood the analogy.

The Boomers created the mess, the future generations will have to clean it up... whether they want to or not.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:05 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,453,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
A "best" generation would never commit the immoral act of leaving their children and grandchildren in debt.

The WWII generation gave much of the world freedom. So did we under Bush (tens of millions anyway).
Every generation since 1840 has left a national debt, although Dubya was the first to finance what he knew would be an unwelcome war on the national 'credit card' instead, to the tune of nearly $3 trillion… the greatest single increase in the national debt since Reagan!

BTW, since we're talking about what later generations will "inherit", funny that the "whiners" always take for granted all the hard-won benefits they've also 'inherited… like social security, medicare, labor rights, womens suffrage, integration, birth control, abortion, etc.!

Old 02-01-2015, 10:05 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I think needs to wait and see what generations accomplish versus what they did to do it really. No generation beyond the called greatest generation is thru yet really. Certanly the current is the Whines a lot about others. Certainly much more violent than any generation we have seen and conflicted among themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies