Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 07:44 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,594,025 times

Advertisements

For me Germany and Switzerland. Switzerland for me a little better than Germany. Just introduce Referendums in Germany on a national basis and they are the two best systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 07:50 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,268,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I think the United States may have the best political system in the world.

It's the people here that are moral and intellectual garbage.
You don't think the people are the result of the system?

Old 02-02-2015, 09:08 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,823,633 times
The best would be a true bottom up system, instead of the system we have recently adopted of top down system, where government rules over us all.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:11 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,823,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
For me Germany and Switzerland. Switzerland for me a little better than Germany. Just introduce Referendums in Germany on a national basis and they are the two best systems.

One thing you can say for those two nations is, there's not a whole lot of diversity there.
The tribe is united, with no other tribes causing friction.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:39 AM

47,086 posts, read 26,206,973 times
I think Alexander Pope said it: "For forms of government let fools contest. Whatever is best administered is best."

The Scandinavian countries - on paper - are unmanageable messes. Monarchy? Unelected heads of state who, constitutionally, can affect governmentla matters quite a bit? Elections at the whim of the sitting government? Minority coalitions forming governments? Yet it works, thanks to a lot of unspoken understandings that are just the way things are done - very low corruption, for instance. Nobody working to actually dismantle the machinery of government.

On paper, Greece's system is probably just fine. (I'll confess, I've never read their constitution.) It's just that they decided to have German-level welfare state, but the people weren't willing to pay German-level taxes and the governments didn't have the will or the desire to actually secure revenue. Each government's ultimate goal was to keep things running just long enough to pass the hot potato on.

Germany - being relatively modern - is still saddled with a constitution that was hammered up in a hurry when the US, British and French occupation zones were handed autonomy. The proper constitution was supposed to be rolled out when the Soviets left. Of course they didn't for about 5 decades, and when they finally did, it was rather abrupt and the West German constitution, warts and all, had to be good enough. But it works, probably because Germany had some harsh lessons on what can happen when you give up on boring parliamentary debate and listen to vulgar sloganeers promising easy fixes instead.

The US system certainly has its warts. Head of State and Head of Government in one person is just a bad idea, for instance. Fixed election dates lead to politicians spending more time campaigning and less governing. (Yes, I know I complained about parliamentary governments calling elections whenever. Shaddup.) A federal system designed back when people used horses for transportation and communication was by letter will start creaking at the seams in a world of telegrams and railroads.

TLDR; It's a moot exercise to compare systems without taking cultural traditions and established practice into account.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:48 AM

47,086 posts, read 26,206,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
One thing you can say for those two nations is, there's not a whole lot of diversity there.
The tribe is united, with no other tribes causing friction.
No diversity in Switzerland? They have 4 official languages. Quabbling internally is their 2nd-favorite sport, after marksmanship.

Ever asked yourself why there were 2 makers (Victorinox and Wenger) of Swiss Army knives for decades? Because the Swiss government had to avoid any appearance of favoritism when placing a contract in either the the German-speaking or the French-speaking area, and so picked a factory from each to get some quiet.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:03 AM

39,181 posts, read 51,514,618 times
I think the US political system is, in theory, superior to others such as the parliamentary systems common in Europe - at least for us. The US is a diverse and large country where an adversarial check and balance system has clear benefits. The abject failure of our system over the past couple decades has nothing to do with the wisdom of our forefathers but is our own doing in allowing money and influence to corrupt our politics. It would seem easy to fix that while maintaining the core of our system, but the politicians benefit greatly from it and will only reluctantly ever do so.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:54 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,708,326 times
Switzerland.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:32 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,268,978 times
It's funny after all those complaints about how corrupt this political system is, it is still voted the best.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:28 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,756,171 times
I wonder how many people that voted for Finland are buying their tickets and trying to move there???? If you try to enter into or stay in Finland illegally will they welcome you with open arms??? Please, someone try and report back about your experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies