Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 01:24 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It will soon be this way if things continue. I don't know why someone would do such a dishonest and stupid thing. Ok, this is more reason for not believing anything that comes out of the mouths of the those working for NBC and MSNBC
I remember a time when war correspondents didn't need to convince the public of anything regarding their exposure to danger. All this azzhat has done is make it more difficult for a reporter to get close to the action.

Why would any military powers-that-be authorize a "ridealong" if no one is going to give what they report about the front any credence?

Hell; if I was an officer with discretionary powers, I'd simply tell the guy to "stay in the Ritz and make it up as you usually do".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 01:32 PM

455 posts, read 598,211 times
I wish the ghost of Ernie Pyle would haunt Williams for the rest of his life.

An another note, I always love hearing the stories from my buddy about Richard Engel reporting in Iraq in front of Strykers and wearing body armor and kevlar helmet like he's on the front lines. Instead, he's inside the friendly Forward Operating Base, the soldiers behind the camera are in t-shirts and no helmets, just snorting.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:33 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,591,823 times
After Lying About Helicopter Shoot-Down in Iraq, Brian Williams' Katrina Stories Under Scrutiny

After Lying About Helicopter Shoot-Down in Iraq, Brian Williams' Katrina Stories Under Scrutiny

Old 02-06-2015, 02:06 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,526 times
It is pretty funny that this has been headline news on CNN, Fox, and just about every network except NBC and its affiliates, yet the media watchdog group Media Matters for America has yet to weigh in. A network anchor reporter lying to the American public, and crickets. MMFA only cares if you work for Fox, or have an (R) after your name.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:19 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post

Quote:
In one story, he claims he saw a body float by his hotel room window in New Orleans. In another, he claims his five-star hotel was overrun with gangs while he was sick with floodwater dysentery, and was rescued from a stairwell by a police officer.

Williams recounted the first story about the floating corpse in a 2006 interview with former Disney CEO Michael Eisner, The New Orleans Advocate reported.

"When you look out of your hotel room window in the French Quarter, and watch a man float by face-down, when you see bodies that you last saw in Banda Aceh, Indonesia, and swore to yourself that you would never see in your country . . ." Williams said, recounting the 2005 hurricane. "These are Americans. These are my brothers and sisters and one of them was floating by."

I hadn't heard that story before.
I can't believe he didn't get called out on that one.
The French Quarter was dry.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:31 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
I absolutely love the fact people are upset because Brian Williams is perceived to be liberal, not because he violated his ethics as a news broadcaster. I'm guessing most of these folks who are happy Williams' career is toast are just fine with Fox News and the myriad of lies they've been caught in over the years.

Plus, I've noticed a bunch of posters conflating Williams' tortured account of events with Hillary Clinton's dishonest claim of narrowly avoiding gunfire in Bosnia. Again, only political bias is driving their animosity and nothing else. If these people were really objective about things, why aren't they also invoking Reagan's false claims about filming the liberation of Buchenwald to then-Israel Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir?

Williams told a lie and needs to be relieved of his duties. It's as simple as that. It doesn't matter what party he votes for when he's away from the camera. He reported information he knew (or should have known) was false. He got caught. He shouldn't be an anchor. End of story.

If you're only glomming on to the Brian Williams' story because you believe it validates your dislike of the party you think he votes for, you must be really insecure in your own system of political beliefs.
Great post! I totally agree.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:43 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
If you report news and lie about the news let alone something about yourself that never happened its time to let this person GO.
Seems that he did report the news accurately at the time the events took place. Watch: Brian Williams Original Helicopter Report from 2003 - Breitbart
So, it's not his reporting that is an issue here, it's his recollection of events.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:59 PM

998 posts, read 665,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
It is pretty funny that this has been headline news on CNN, Fox, and just about every network except NBC and its affiliates, yet the media watchdog group Media Matters for America has yet to weigh in. A network anchor reporter lying to the American public, and crickets. MMFA only cares if you work for Fox, or have an (R) after your name.
Wasn't NBC the network that deliberately edited the Zimmerman 911 tapes to plant the suggestion that he used a racial epithet when describing Treyvon Martin? Straight up lying is the standard procedure of that network, they'll probably give Williams a raise when this is all over.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:01 PM

27,137 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Seems that he did report the news accurately at the time the events took place. Watch: Brian Williams Original Helicopter Report from 2003 - Breitbart
So, it's not his reporting that is an issue here, it's his recollection of events.

It's his lies about events.
You don't forget things like this............

........unless he's claiming Alzheimer's now.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:03 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
He got it right in his book in 2007...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies