Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 05:37 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Let's hijack this thread!

Tell me how ISIS is different than the cartels south of the border.

Mexican gang members explain how they burned alive 43 Mexican students | Daily Mail Online

Can start with this one.

ISIS has nothing to do with religion... that's merely the scapegoat...

Rofl. Love your neighbor is something feel good we're taught in sunday school. I cannot think of one era of human history it was actually practiced anywhere near fully by the faith.

The Bible is still full of violence.
Two wrongs don't make a right. I don't care who does the wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
What part of calling ISIL a "brutal, vicious death cult" do you not understand? That is hardly providing an excuse or justification for their atrocities.
Then why bring up the crusades? That was an attempt to make what ISIS is doing acceptable and it is not in any way shape or form. Two wrongs don't make a right. Period.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
So your complaint for the following statement is he did not say "in the name of Muhammad?"

"We see ISIL, a brutal, vicious death cult that, in the name of religion, carries out unspeakable acts of barbarism -- terrorizing religious minorities like the Yezidis, subjecting women to rape as a weapon of war, and claiming the mantle of religious authority for such actions."

FWIW, I am a Christian and I had no problem with what Obama said and did not feel I or my religion was being attacked. As a Christian I know that there are lots of actions performed by Christians in the name of the religion that should be criticized and denounced.
That's the difference between the Christian and muslim religions. Christians denounce the violence. Muslims remain silent on the issue. And then there's obummer who brings up the crusades as if that makes this all ok. Yes the crusades happen but they were not right and neither is this.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Then WTF doesn't he say it! THIS is the crux of the issue most of us have with him. He is standing with Islam by protecting them from criticism.

Dave
While islam stands silent on the issue of extremists. When you don't stand in opposition to something, you support it by default.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:47 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,594,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That's the difference between the Christian and muslim religions. Christians denounce the violence. Muslims remain silent on the issue. And then there's obummer who brings up the crusades as if that makes this all ok. Yes the crusades happen but they were not right and neither is this.
Not true, Christians denounce only when their interest is in jeopardy, they very often turn the blind eye on their "ally" Israel when it committed genocide on Palestinians in Gaza, Sabra and Chatila .

Old 02-07-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Not true, Christians denounce only when their interest is in jeopardy, they very often turn the blind eye on their "ally" Israel when it committed genocide on Palestinians in Gaza, Sabra and Chatila .
And just what was Israel responding to then? Israel doesn't play games that's for sure.

And I disagree. The Christian religion will denounce violence. I have yet to see the muslim religion do the same. Where is the outcry from them because of the beheadings and the burning death of the Jordanian pilot? If you listen you can hear crickets chirping.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:09 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I'm not a Christian, but it looks to me that Obama goes out of his way to avoid using ISIL and Islam or Muhammad or Allah in the same sentence. Though he had no problem connecting Christian misdeeds to 'in the name of Christ,' ISIL uses 'the mantle of religious authority' to justify its barbarism.

As neither a Christian nor Muslim, if asked to identify which specific religious followers Obama Specifically attacked more, I'd go with Christians.
Where in his speech did he refer to Christians anywhere close to "a brutal, vicious death cult."

Old 02-07-2015, 06:11 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Quote:
Where in his speech did he refer to Christians anywhere close to "a brutal, vicious death cult."
When in his entire miserable life has he linked that cult to Islam. Never.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:29 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Then why bring up the crusades? That was an attempt to make what ISIS is doing acceptable and it is not in any way shape or form. Two wrongs don't make a right. Period.
How on earth do you reach your conclsions? Are you saying inquisition was acceptable? It wasn't. It was pure evil, just like ISIS. When you defend inquisition, you are not defending Christianity, you are defending evil. Calling ISIS a brutal, vicious death cult is not accepting it, it is rejecting it.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:45 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
When in his entire miserable life has he linked that cult to Islam. Never.
Why would you choose to not actually listen to Obama's speech? You might be surprised at what was actually in it opposed to what you were told by right wing talking head pundits.

Quote:
But we also see faith being twisted and distorted, used as a wedge -- or, worse, sometimes used as a weapon. From a school in Pakistan to the streets of Paris, we have seen violence and terror perpetrated by those who profess to stand up for faith, their faith, professed to stand up for Islam, but, in fact, are betraying it. We see ISIL, a brutal, vicious death cult that, in the name of religion, carries out unspeakable acts of barbarism -- terrorizing religious minorities like the Yezidis, subjecting women to rape as a weapon of war, and claiming the mantle of religious authority for such actions.
Quote:
And so, as people of faith, we are summoned to push back against those who try to distort our religion -- any religion -- for their own nihilistic ends. And here at home and around the world, we will constantly reaffirm that fundamental freedom -- freedom of religion -- the right to practice our faith how we choose, to change our faith if we choose, to practice no faith at all if we choose, and to do so free of persecution and fear and discrimination
The Way of Improvement Leads Home: Barack Obama's Amazing Prayer Breakfast Speech
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies