Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 02:47 PM

549 posts, read 457,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
I think the crusades are a fair comparison. I am also surprised how ignorant people are about what the crusades were. Like ISIS the crusades were about killing or converting anyone who did not adhere to a very specific form of Christianity. While the most famous crusades were against Muslims they were also against Pagans, Jews, Eastern Christians, Cathars, other Catholics etc.
Nobody argues crusades were not violent. But they were a response to 4 centuries on invasions, occupation, forceful conversion, murder, rape and enslaving of Christians by muslims. All these practices continue to this very day.

Try to name one land where crusades took place that was not Christian before it became muslim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 03:07 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Even if they happened 20 years ago, it wouldn't matter. The behavior of Middle Easterners probably made them necessary.
Caliph al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah ordered the destruction of all Christian holy sites in Jerusalem on 10/18/1009.

That started the Crusades.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:31 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
Nobody argues crusades were not violent. But they were a response to 4 centuries on invasions, occupation, forceful conversion, murder, rape and enslaving of Christians by muslims. All these practices continue to this very day.

Try to name one land where crusades took place that was not Christian before it became muslim.
As I said the crusades were against a lot of different people, not just Muslims. As to lands that the crusades took that were never Christian prior to the crusades, I will name several.

Prussia.
Lithuania.
Estonia.
Poland.

Then there were also crusades against other Christians in Greece, Sicily, Southern France, and Aragon.

Like I said I am surprised how many people don't understand the crusades, there were a lot of them like the Wendish Crusade, the 4th Crusade, the Northern Crusades, the Albigensian crusade, the Aragonese Crusade, etc. that were not about Islam. Not to mention the fact that prior to reaching Constantinople the 1st crusade proceeded to rob and murder all the Jews they could find on their way to modern day Turkey or the fact that most of the "Christian lands" the crusades were trying to "retake" were never Catholic, but rather Eastern Christian whom the Latin Crusaders often oppressed and fought as much as they did Muslims, in fact the first Crusader territory they took on the way to Jerusalem was Edessa, an Armenian Christian city where the Crusaders proceeded to dispose the local rulers and set up their own county. The simple fact is that the crusades were targeted at a whole lot of different people who the Catholic Church had beef with and could hardly be considered a purely Christian against Muslim thing. With that said this is inconvienent to people who like to blame the Muslims for everything, and or like simplistic or easy to understand black and white realities and so it is often ignored.

Last edited by Egbert; 02-18-2015 at 03:43 PM..

Old 02-18-2015, 04:08 PM

549 posts, read 457,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
As I said the crusades were against a lot of different people, not just Muslims. As to lands that the crusades took that were never Christian prior to the crusades, I will name several.

Prussia.
Lithuania.
Estonia.
Poland.

Then there were also crusades against other Christians in Greece, Sicily, Southern France, and Aragon.

Like I said I am surprised how many people don't understand the crusades, there were a lot of them like the Wendish Crusade, the 4th Crusade, the Northern Crusades, the Albigensian crusade, the Aragonese Crusade, etc. that were not about Islam. Not to mention the fact that prior to reaching Constantinople the 1st crusade proceeded to rob and murder all the Jews they could find on their way to modern day Turkey or the fact that most of the "Christian lands" the crusades were trying to "retake" were never Catholic, but rather Eastern Christian whom the Latin Crusaders often oppressed and fought as much as they did Muslims, in fact the first Crusader territory they took on the way to Jerusalem was Edessa, an Armenian Christian city where the Crusaders proceeded to dispose the local rulers and set up their own county. The simple fact is that the crusades were targeted at a whole lot of different people who the Catholic Church had beef with and could hardly be considered a purely Christian against Muslim thing. With that said this is inconvienent to people who like to blame the Muslims for everything, and or like simplistic or easy to understand black and white realities and so it is often ignored.
In all your history lesson you named no "land where crusades took place that was not Christian before it became muslim". I can only repeat my statement:

Old 02-18-2015, 04:11 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Even if they happened 20 years ago, it wouldn't matter. The behavior of Middle Easterners probably made them necessary.
I wish the Pope would order a new Crusade today. I don't know who would answer, it might be too late.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:15 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
a crusade is a crusade, huh? like this one?

so what's your point?

Obama lectured us, in a speech about ISIS, not 'get on our high horse' about Islamic terrorism and invoked the medieval crusades because bush once used the term?

that still makes less than zero sense.
Oh, I didn't realize that by crusade, Bush only meant a parade with flowered floats.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:17 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
In all your history lesson you named no "land where crusades took place that was not Christian before it became muslim". I can only repeat my statement:

Can't fix willful ignorance. Except to say if the crusades were just in response to 4 centuries of invasions and occupations, by muslims, why did then end up in the Baltic? Were the Livonians or Old Prussians invading and occupying Christian lands? Were the Greeks in 13th century Constantinople Muslim? How about those Cathars in Southern France were they secretly Muslims who were occupying and conquering christian lands?

Last edited by Egbert; 02-18-2015 at 04:48 PM..

Old 02-18-2015, 05:27 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I don't see the big deal. The Crusades were base on intolerance, and the Jihads are based on intolerance. Both religions further bigotry and self-delusion among the dumbest and most violent in their ranks. I think Islam is worse, but both do it. Look at the KKK and the Nazis and Westboro Baptist weirdos.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:26 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
And it was wrong of the Christian armies to slaughter Jews and other who didn't have a dog in the fight--nobody is disputing this, OR the barbarism of the conflict. What the issue we have with the president is that he failed to make a good comparison. The fact that he says "terrible deeds were committed in the name of Christ", but can't bring himself to say that ISIS "is Islamic and a terrorist organization" is a double standard. Furthermore, he had to go back quite far in time to make an equivalence between Islam and Christianity. Very few will argue his point that the Crusades and the other stuff he mentioned was bad--but the issue is that today, it's Islam that is causing most problems in the world in terms of terrorism and radicalization. Even hateful (and hated) Christian groups like Westboro Baptist Church aren't beheading gays or non-believers. It's not Christianity, Judaism, paganism, Sikhism, Jainism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Shinto, Wicca, or anything else that we're seeing the bulk majority of terrorism from. It's Islam. This is not to say that ALL Muslims are evil, and it's not to say that there aren't crazy people in all of the other religions I mentioned. But there is something to be said of a religion (which isn't even the biggest in the world) that continuously spreads more violence and hatred in 2015 than any other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies