Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 10:37 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,593,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I hope it's okay for me to ask this question, because I don't want to be offensive or anything, but in your encounters with white people, do they generally treat you with respect, or are they typically rude to you and racist. I'm wondering about this because when I interact with the general public, I try to treat everyone, regardless of their race or ethnicity, with professionalism and courteousness, but I was wondering if minorities find this shocking or unusual.

Again, I hope I'm not being offensive, I just am genuinely curious about your experiences in the world, i.e. is racism constant and typical, or is it not typical but it's shocking and painful when it happens?

From my experience white people are cordial for the most part. Most whites I meet are in a professional setting. Many are very curious about me, as I'm usually one of the very few black people in any office I work in. I have found that white people do try to draw out my opinions on race. However I do frustrate them when they cannot seem to get an emotional response of of me. It's my fundamental worldview that one should not personalize ones race. So it's hard for me to get emotionally attached to race in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies