Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2015, 10:27 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It was an analogy. I thought you understood those.
I know. What exactly is analagous between a brownshirt beating someone to a pulp and an artist getting murdered by a jihadist?

Quote:
I'm more interested in Islam growing up.
So am I, and so are a lot of Muslims. Creating sensations by attracting jihadists is probably not an effective method at promoting adulthood in Islam.

Quote:
As long as we're "respecting their beliefs" and suppressing our beliefs, we're playing by their rules.
We're talking about terrorists. I'm not concerned with anyone's beliefs or rules. I'm concerned with defeating them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 10:34 PM

39,877 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Islam is not compatible with a free western society...end of story.
Fundimentalist Islam is not compatible with any civilized society.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:36 PM

39,877 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
It was an analogy. I thought you understood those.

I'm more interested in Islam growing up. As long as we're "respecting their beliefs" and suppressing our beliefs, we're playing by their rules.
We are surrendering to evil, not just playing by their rules. I'm all for staying out of the ME, let them do their own little 9th century thing in their own homes. But they can keep their butchery and savagery to themselves, no reason to allow or cower to in in any civilized society.

I find it amazing how the "tolerant" "free speach" left are so willing to give up their rights in the face of vicious Islamic thugs. I have to wonder how they will react when fundamentalist Muslims start slaughtering gays in the west because they are offended and their superstition tells them to. It seems that they are far more likely to be willing to offend Christians with "art" that tosses a cross in a bucket of pee, than they are to offend savages that will slaughter you for a cartoon. Smart I guess, they only bully the ones who won't fight back.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:39 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
You don't get the analogy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I know. What exactly is analagous between a brownshirt beating someone to a pulp and an artist getting murdered by a jihadist?

So am I, and so are a lot of Muslims. Creating sensations by attracting jihadists is probably not an effective method at promoting adulthood in Islam.

We're talking about terrorists. I'm not concerned with anyone's beliefs or rules. I'm concerned with defeating them.
Creating sensation is what journalists/satirists do, but behind it, are beliefs and values as valid as any religion.

I'm not concerned with terrorism, but the belief that propels it. Terrorism is just the action, it's the belief that is the problem. ie - the brownshirt analogy.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
You don't get the analogy?
Not really. As you describe below, spreading terrorist dogma and Nazi dogma are analogous, but I'm talking about making wise decisions while combatting the terrorists, not succumbing to terrorist dogma, so no, I don't see the analogy.

Quote:
Creating sensation is what journalists/satirists do, but behind it, are beliefs and values as valid as any religion.
And they have every right to do so, but there are possible consequences. Be aware of the consequences. Hell, do a sting operation to catch these jihadists, but just be aware that your life may be in danger.

Quote:
I'm not concerned with terrorism, but the belief that propels it. Terrorism is just the action, it's the belief that is the problem. ie - the brownshirt analogy.
Well, again, I don't see the comparison. These are religious extremists. Religious violence is pretty much a constant in the world. You're not going to eliminate religion, so we're stuck with that 'belief.' How religious violence compares to Hitler is beyond me.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:20 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Fundimentalist Islam is not compatible with any civilized society.
I agree but how do you distinguish between the fundamentalist and rational Muslim if you have millions in the country as France & Denmark have? There have just been too many random (Obama) attacks by Muslims for all of these attack to be coincidental.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:

Well, again, I don't see the comparison. These are religious extremists. Religious violence is pretty much a constant in the world. You're not going to eliminate religion, so we're stuck with that 'belief.' How religious violence compares to Hitler is beyond me.
Well of course you don't get it. You think there is no point challenging the belief, because nothing will change, and someone might get hurt. Sounds like a victory for religion.

Religious violence or ideological violence -there is no difference when you're dead.

Last edited by Joe90; 02-14-2015 at 11:33 PM..

Old 02-14-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Well of course you don't get it. You think there is no point challenging the belief, because nothing will change, and someone might get hurt.
No. I have no problem challenging dangerous beliefs. I just see it differently. Hitler was a dictatorial freak of nature, and as with other historical tyrants, he rose and he fell. Religion is a much different thing.

Quote:
Sounds like a victory for religion.
What does it win?

Old 02-14-2015, 11:43 PM

103 posts, read 97,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Here we go again.

1 dead in Denmark in attack on artist who drew Mohammed.

Time to kick every last Muslim out of Europe.
Now watch how Muslims world-wide use this latest atrocity as an opportunity to promote their "Religion of Peace" and deny any connection between the Koran and normal, standard and usual (and not "extreme") muslim murderers.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:48 PM

I wasn't talking about Hitler, but Nazism. It could apply to any belief that responds to verbal attacks on doctrine, with violence.

Quote:
No. I have no problem challenging dangerous beliefs. I just see it differently. Hitler was a dictatorial freak of nature, and as with other historical tyrants, he rose and he fell. Religion is a much different thing.

What does it win?
Minds and power. What religion always seeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies