Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 12:52 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,354,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Nine years? Don't be surprised if your benefits are reduced before cross the finish line.

You should adjust your tin foil hat...the reception seems to be a bit off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 12:53 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,103,757 times
Funny how those that were brought up by people who are now approaching SS years, and have cut way back on bringing up children themselves, because it costs so much, are complaining that SS might not be there for them.

They obviously do not know how the system sustains itself.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:55 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,226,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Funny how those that were brought up by people who are now approaching SS years, and have cut way back on bringing up children themselves, because it costs so much, are complaining that SS might not be there for them.

that is because most people still do not understand that the social security system is just one big ponzie scheme, and it is illegal for everyone but government to do.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:02 PM

18,874 posts, read 8,527,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I retired at age 48, and have no plans at all of drawing on socialized security when I can get it at age 62. by the time I can get it, i figure the house of cards will have toppled by then, and socialized security will be no longer in use in any place.

the biggest fix that i can see, is to take SS out of the general fund and force the feds to make good on their IOU's.
The 'fix' is indeed money creation.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:05 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,671,023 times
Quote:
Why not look to what programs or general approach to government messed things up for the post boom population and change things back to the way they were during the boom period?
Start a Third World War that decimates the industrial capacity of all of our competitors? I like where you're going with this.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:

What I think is funny is how people who supposedly hate social security are softening up on it now that they are drawing benefits.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:14 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,522,967 times
Quote:
I think we can all agree that Boomers had it better than any generation of Americans. They had access to the best job market, lowest house prices, best opportunities for higher education at the lowest prices, etc. They didn't do anything to deserve the privilege they got, but they didn't ask for it either. They were just fortunate.

To those whom much has been given much is expected, and I expect more from the Boomers than what we've currently gotten. At this moment in time, they have the opportunity to do something truly magnanimous. They should give up Social Security. They should lead the charge to pass a bill that anyone born between the years of 1945 and 1965 should not get paid any Social Security benefits. This would save the program for their children and grandchildren, and for once, they wouldn't be acting like a swarm of locusts laying waste to America's wealth before it can be enjoyed by future generations.

I also think conservatives who hate big government should also choose to not get their benefits as a protest regardless of when they were born.

What do you think? Good idea?

I'm a poor Boomer, living on a poverty level income, with negative net worth. I should give up Social Security?

Old 02-19-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm a poor Boomer, living on a poverty level income, with negative net worth. I should give up Social Security?
If I were the typical boomer, I'd say too bad. It's your fault. You should have saved. I have more heart than that though. Hardship will do that.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:26 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,522,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I doubt that will happen. People will lose even more on SS than they already do. Good luck getting voters to go for that.

Of course it won't happen, the top 1% absolutely hate to lose money, and they have the power to prevent it.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:28 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,670,639 times
Quote:
If I were the typical boomer, I'd say too bad. It's your fault. You should have saved. I have more heart than that though. Hardship will do that.
Hardship, indeed.

Have you ever had to put cardboard in your shoes because your shoes had big holes in the soles?

Did you ever confess to your priest the sin of gluttony because one day when you couldn't take the hunger any more, you ate an entire box of saltine crackers? (I did; I was just a kid of 8 or so)

Tell me about your hardship. I'll spare you more tales of growing up in the 50s and how totally coddled I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies