Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:14 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times

Advertisements

Like I said, there's no way to enforce this, especially by the government. Achieving the outcome I described in the OP is a pipe dream.

The closest thing to it is improving education around the world, and society gradually adopting and spreading the attitude that religion is an intimate matter.

But I'm 24, and don't see it happening in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 06:27 PM

963 posts, read 689,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
ROFL...are you serious?

Here:

https://www.readingrainbow.com/
Yes. The leftists all have dumb ideas they want to IMPOSE on the rest of us. You would like to impose ATHEISM. How's that working out in the countries that actively promote an unbelief in a Creator? Or among those who would "allow" the rest of us to have our "beliefs" as long as we keep it to ourselves?

You guys don't understand the difference between Freedom of Religion (which our Constitution says the GODvernment cannot mess with), and Freedom to worship (which Russia TOLERATES). You seem "willing" to MAYBE "allow" us ignorant savages Freedom to Worship, as long as we keep it to ourselves. How generous of you to toss us peasants a few crumbs.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:46 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,646 times
Quote:
This is obviously a fantasy and would never happen (sigh!), but hypothetically if all countries agreed to mandate that people keep religion a private and personal matter, wouldn't there be a lot less drama in the world? Wouldn't there be more progress of science and civilization?

Of course, this would force people to be more honest about their real issues with others, but at least then it becomes a concrete, tangible matter that can be more easily negotiated, rather than a battle of subjective spiritual ideologies that are, nearly by definition, impossible or not intended to be proven.

I know it's a totalitarianish idea, but it might be the only way to bring about more peace in the world. People are still free to have their own religious beliefs, and houses of worship, but anything more public than that should be considered as inappropriate as advertising one's preferred sex positions.

It's just my fantasy, and I don't see any reasonable way for this to actually be implemented, but does anyone else feel this way from time to time?
I dont personally feel there is anything wrong with the religions we have now. They all follow the same 10 basic rules.

Let's take - thou shalt not kill.

Where is the exception? Who is it okay to kill? Who is designated an acceptable killer? As I recall, vengeance belongs to God, and he's not sharing!

Civil laws allow for killing. Religion does not.

The world would be just as non-dramatic if we 'enforced' the religions we have now.

Man has always believed in a higher power, even when he lived in caves. I find it scary to think mankind overall would lose that humble quality. Can you really see progress coming from a world with no restrictions except those imposed by 1 despot? What if I think I can take him out? Now Im the despot, right? Sure, I'll do a great job...

I dont see why Science would see any more or less progress. Im not sure civilization can 'progress' a whole lot more. What is progressive about turning jungles into major cities at this point in the history of the Earth? We need trees and fresh water somewhere on the planet.

Its cool to say 'no religions'. Its nice to dream about, like John Lennon's song, "Imagine" - Nothing to kill or die for - and, no religion too.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:52 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
Yes. The leftists all have dumb ideas they want to IMPOSE on the rest of us. You would like to impose ATHEISM. How's that working out in the countries that actively promote an unbelief in a Creator? Or among those who would "allow" the rest of us to have our "beliefs" as long as we keep it to ourselves?

You guys don't understand the difference between Freedom of Religion (which our Constitution says the GODvernment cannot mess with), and Freedom to worship (which Russia TOLERATES). You seem "willing" to MAYBE "allow" us ignorant savages Freedom to Worship, as long as we keep it to ourselves. How generous of you to toss us peasants a few crumbs.
I don't want to impose atheism. I don't think there should be a problem with people praying in public, reading religious materials or even dressing according to their religion. If people want to wear t-shirts announcing their religion, no problem there. There's a difference between encouraging a society to be run on only secular principles, and forcing people to be atheists.

I just think it should be thought as inappropriate to actually push their religious lifestyle on others and using it as an excuse to harm others.

This would go for all religions all over the world. Islam just as much as Christianity.

I imagine you'd like it if all Muslims peacefully adhered to their beliefs without terrorizing others in the name of Islam? (Most Muslims actually do practice peacefully, but that's besides the point.)

Old 02-23-2015, 07:02 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I dont personally feel there is anything wrong with the religions we have now. They all follow the same 10 basic rules.

Let's take - thou shalt not kill.

Where is the exception? Who is it okay to kill? Who is designated an acceptable killer? As I recall, vengeance belongs to God, and he's not sharing!

Civil laws allow for killing. Religion does not.

The world would be just as non-dramatic if we 'enforced' the religions we have now.

Man has always believed in a higher power, even when he lived in caves. I find it scary to think mankind overall would lose that humble quality. Can you really see progress coming from a world with no restrictions except those imposed by 1 despot? What if I think I can take him out? Now Im the despot, right? Sure, I'll do a great job...

I dont see why Science would see any more or less progress. Im not sure civilization can 'progress' a whole lot more. What is progressive about turning jungles into major cities at this point in the history of the Earth? We need trees and fresh water somewhere on the planet.

Its cool to say 'no religions'. Its nice to dream about, like John Lennon's song, "Imagine" - Nothing to kill or die for - and, no religion too.

Regarding those 10 rules, I and many have a problem with rule #1. "I am the Lord Thy God, Thou Shalt have No Other Gods Before Me."
Once I see that in a Georgia Courthouse, carved in stone, I can't bring myself to read the other 9.

As far as I'm concerned, God made mankind. Mankind made religion and there lies the fatal flaw.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:20 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Regarding those 10 rules, I and many have a problem with rule #1. "I am the Lord Thy God, Thou Shalt have No Other Gods Before Me."
Once I see that in a Georgia Courthouse, carved in stone, I can't bring myself to read the other 9.

As far as I'm concerned, God made mankind. Mankind made religion and there lies the fatal flaw.

Then you have those Georgia Stones which promote a one world government.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
The 20th century version of China and Russia tried a version of this. It didn't go over so well.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:33 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
This is obviously a fantasy and would never happen (sigh!), but hypothetically if all countries agreed to mandate that people keep religion a private and personal matter, wouldn't there be a lot less drama in the world? Wouldn't there be more progress of science and civilization?

Of course, this would force people to be more honest about their real issues with others, but at least then it becomes a concrete, tangible matter that can be more easily negotiated, rather than a battle of subjective spiritual ideologies that are, nearly by definition, impossible or not intended to be proven.

I know it's a totalitarianish idea, but it might be the only way to bring about more peace in the world. People are still free to have their own religious beliefs, and houses of worship, but anything more public than that should be considered as inappropriate as advertising one's preferred sex positions.

It's just my fantasy, and I don't see any reasonable way for this to actually be implemented, but does anyone else feel this way from time to time?
You overlook a lot of problems caused by secular people. It would not be utopia because the world would still be full of flawed humans.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:35 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Does the include the fictional, bearded God of liberals: Uncle Sam?

Old 02-23-2015, 07:43 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
No I wouldn't support banning religions. Better to just let them die out on their own. Might take a few more generations.

Or maybe there will always be some people who believe thunder and lightening are caused by some angry sky god that has to be appeased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies