Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 07:38 AM

615 posts, read 727,240 times

Advertisements

As with a lot of debates, we need to be specific about what me mean by phrases like "Good for America" and "Good for the economy" or whatever else. Having more wealthy, smart people move here will doubtlessly grow the economy. Will it help native Americans get good jobs? I doubt it. A limited number of people are let into MIT, Harvard, etc., every year, and more of them getting in from abroad means less native Americans getting the credentials necessary to launch them into good jobs. It's a zero-sum game when it comes to education and some other sectors such as housing. When welathy Chinese are interested in American homes, that forces up the value of those homes and makes them unaffordable for many native Americans who could've otherwise afforded them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 07:56 AM

63,054 posts, read 29,249,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
By mastering Tagalog and Spanish -- and maybe Mandarin, Korean, Arabic, Farsi, Vietnamese and Cambodian as well?

How many languages do you speak?

I am quite sure that you could not communicate in every language spoken by workers at United Airlines in San Francisco.

You just can't admit it when you are wrong, can you?

Typical liberal.
Yep, you got it. Typical liberal. They envision a country where cultural differences abound but we are all going to join hands and sing "kumbaya". Ain't gonna happen and I am being a realist. It's ridiculous to claim that native English speaking Americans who are the majority in this country should learn the languages of every immigrant that comes here. Aren't we the host country and not the immigrants?

Old 03-05-2015, 09:18 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,023,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
As with a lot of debates, we need to be specific about what me mean by phrases like "Good for America" and "Good for the economy" or whatever else. Having more wealthy, smart people move here will doubtlessly grow the economy. Will it help native Americans get good jobs? I doubt it. A limited number of people are let into MIT, Harvard, etc., every year, and more of them getting in from abroad means less native Americans getting the credentials necessary to launch them into good jobs. It's a zero-sum game when it comes to education and some other sectors such as housing. When welathy Chinese are interested in American homes, that forces up the value of those homes and makes them unaffordable for many native Americans who could've otherwise afforded them.
I have a niece and nephew trying to get into University right now. I can't help but think that I had it so much easier back in the 80s, since we didn't have competition in university admission from the foreign countries too, except in grad programs.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I guess you guys all missed the Japanese invasion in the 1990's. Oh wait that worked out well for a lot of people.

The most important color in this country is GREEN.

Japan is a country of 125 million. China is a country of OVER 1 BILLION. Big difference. give me Japanese immigrants any day of the week.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:23 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,846,809 times
Money talks...bs walks?

Old 03-05-2015, 09:28 AM

39,309 posts, read 27,684,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Japan is a country of 125 million. China is a country of OVER 1 BILLION. Big difference. give me Japanese immigrants any day of the week.
Less than 1% Japanese want to come to this country. Just like the Europeans, they have no desires to leave their own countries permanently. America is a third world countries heaven. You import third world, you become third world

Plus, Japanese will be on Endangered Species list pretty soon because many don't even want to reproduce.

I don't mind legal Chinese immigrants because most of them are hard working good people. But things like this

Federal Agents Raid Alleged ‘Maternity Tourism’ Businesses Catering to Chinese

Federal Agents Raid Alleged

make me wonder. The hell?

Old 03-05-2015, 09:58 AM

1,006 posts, read 737,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Then its time for the God crowd and obstructionist to stop hampering educational developments and spending. Improve the education of "native americans"...perhaps you should use a different term to describe american citizens. And what you are speaking of is capitalism 101, they've worked and amassed wealth and in turn want to come to a better place. This has happened since man put value in "things". Time to "pick yourself up by the bootstraps" and compete.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:09 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,974,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I have a niece and nephew trying to get into University right now. I can't help but think that I had it so much easier back in the 80s, since we didn't have competition in university admission from the foreign countries too, except in grad programs.
Like the right-wing say, if you can compete you deserve to go "out of business". If your nephew and niece can't get in uni because some "furriner" took their place, guess they didn't compete enough.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Like the right-wing say, if you can compete you deserve to go "out of business". If your nephew and niece can't get in uni because some "furriner" took their place, guess they didn't compete enough.
Why do you dislike Americans so much?
To me, it's logical that if your parents pay taxes all of their working lives, your kids should have reasonable priority access to the State universities. I wouldn't expect my kids to go to another country and be given preference.

Last edited by wehotex; 03-05-2015 at 02:00 PM..

Old 03-05-2015, 02:03 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,859,471 times
No matter how you cut it a billion times anything is a lot. This is going to be another interesting thing to watch. Maybe the local schools should be teaching the Anglo kids Mandarin as well as Spanish as a second language. Or maybe a first?

The first rule of survival is to deal with what is instead of what you want to think it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies