Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 12:03 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

My take on the Chinese is, they are very smart people, hard working and will not take anything for nothing....yes, they pay for everything they want....and hopefully their culture will rub off and give American's some intellectual competition, and bring back a sturdy and competent school system to American. And hopefully bring back some old ways of raising kids....b/c what is happening to Americans is utterly pathetic....I see it in here....so so many people fear the truth....actually deny the truth....and perhaps it's a start to a better America? Who knows, but I've always admired the Chinese for their hard working loyalty and strict ways they raise their kids. Nothing wrong with being a strict parent....Americans want to be friends with their kids...big mistake....Oh and they classify a spanking as child abuse...this stuff has to stop, and hopefully, The Chinese will introduce a better more intelligent world, b/c right now, what is happening to America, is awful.

They have a lot to offer society....

I have no problem with anyone coming to America, if they do it legally and become a working member of society....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 12:10 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
The higher the rates of immigration, the harder integration becomes. This statement is true for every nation, and this post is not directed at Chinese at all.

I say enforcing immigration law, quota exists for a reason. Law exists for a reason too.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:30 PM

73 posts, read 58,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
In this country there is very little need for foreign languages as a requirement for employment. The only exceptions would be the tourist industry and pandering to illegal alien Spanish speakers. Also English is the business language across the world. Big fail, bad joke.

Hmm... never said a word about need for foreign languages as a requirement for employment....
Knowing a foreign language is one of the aspects of the big 3 quotients for competitive success that may provide better performance in a job environment, CQ is Curiosity Quotient. As Albert Einstein famously said: “I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious.” The third is EQ, emotional quotient. You should know the #1. Personally, though it is a dead language, Latin is a wonderful basis for knowing English (and I recommend US individuals learn Spanish, given the direction we are heading.)
If you can only think of 2 jobs that need foreign language experience, you must live in a very myopic world Translators (in many languages) are needed at hospitals. Do you know the number of foreign language keyboards are supported by Microsoft? We would always take translators to foreign countries for business. Many medical products need to operate using foreign language interfaces (in some countries that is a prerequisite for import.) Unlike your thinking, the world does not revolve around the US.

Based on my observations (thus non-scientific and just an opinion),those who complain most about legal immigration and 'rude foreigners', and 'we are losing all the jobs' are those that are most likely to lose their job to foreign competition due to lack of skills, talent, or an unwillingness to improve themselves to be in the modern world. I feel bad for the US auto industry, but they sort of did it to themselves (well, Ford is still doing ok).... The concept of 'buy American only' is a true disservice to the industry, as then the companies have no motivation to improve, so foreign companies set up shops in this country, and eat those dinosaur companies for lunch.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:33 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaiman71 View Post

Based on my observations (thus non-scientific and just an opinion),those who complain most about legal immigration and 'rude foreigners', and 'we are losing all the jobs' are those that are most likely to lose their job to foreign competition due to lack of skills, talent, or an unwillingness to improve themselves to be in the modern world. I feel bad for the US auto industry, but they sort of did it to themselves (well, Ford is still doing ok).... The concept of 'buy American only' is a true disservice to the industry, as then the companies have no motivation to improve, so foreign companies set up shops in this country, and eat those dinosaur companies for lunch.
I think you got a point. But I think you underestimate American consumers. NOTHING stop Americans from buying foreign brands ( exotic European cars, and economic Japanese brands)

Like I posted earlier, I would argue that this so called economic rationale for mass immigration is hopelessly short-term.Mass immigrants inflate the size of the economy and create a bubble, increasing total GDP but not GDP per capita. And in the long-term this creates enormous problems; as well as the cost of building the necessary infrastructure for an increased population.

This is why mass (rather than elite, skilled) immigration, brings very minor (if any) economic benefits and very high social costs.

I am all for skilled elite immigrants. But when you import 3rd world, you become 3rd world.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-28-2015 at 01:14 PM..

Old 05-28-2015, 12:38 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Hmm... never said a word about need for foreign languages as a requirement for employment....
Knowing a foreign language is one of the aspects of the big 3 quotients for competitive success that may provide better performance in a job environment, CQ is Curiosity Quotient. As Albert Einstein famously said: “I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious.” The third is EQ, emotional quotient. You should know the #1. Personally, though it is a dead language, Latin is a wonderful basis for knowing English (and I recommend US individuals learn Spanish, given the direction we are heading.)
If you can only think of 2 jobs that need foreign language experience, you must live in a very myopic world Translators (in many languages) are needed at hospitals. Do you know the number of foreign language keyboards are supported by Microsoft? We would always take translators to foreign countries for business. Many medical products need to operate using foreign language interfaces (in some countries that is a prerequisite for import.) Unlike your thinking, the world does not revolve around the US.

No, for the most part there is no need to learn a foreign language in this country for any reason whatsoever. Their usages are very limited. What's this direction we are heading in that it would be recommended that we learn Spanish? Most Hispanic-Americans can speak English so we already have our national language to communicate with them in. Aren't foreigners supposed to assimilate to our language rather than the other way around? The only reason that Spanish is being encouraged is because of the number of Spanish speaking illegals in this country and that's a lame reason to learn Spanish. As for those here legally we have just as many other legal immigrants here that speak a language other than Spanish. Should we learn them all? Excuse me, but as I said, immigrants should be assimilating to our language not the other way around.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, for the most part there is no need to learn a foreign language in this country for any reason whatsoever. Their usages are very limited. What's this direction we are heading in that it would be recommended that we learn Spanish? Most Hispanic-Americans can speak English so we already have our national language to communicate with them in. Aren't foreigners supposed to assimilate to our language rather than the other way around? The only reason that Spanish is being encouraged is because of the number of Spanish speaking illegals in this country and that's a lame reason to learn Spanish. As for those here legally we have just as many other legal immigrants here that speak a language other than Spanish. Should we learn them all? Excuse me, but as I said, immigrants should be assimilating to our language not the other way around.
"No, for the most part there is no need to learn a foreign language in this country for any reason whatsoever. "

Other than looking like a total idiot when proper English isn't used because the individual has no idea how the word was derived.
I cringe when I hear the word 'conversate' (though it is in urbandictionary.com)

Urban Dictionary: conversate

Or when an individual has no intellectual curiosity.

Don't know if it is still true, but some decent universities required two foreign languages to get a PhD... it was rough on the science/engineering majors, as they were in classes with the language/humanities majors.

" Aren't foreigners supposed to assimilate to our language rather than the other way around?"

Never saw a law requiring it. May be tough to get a good job, though.

"Most Hispanic-Americans can speak English..."

Please supply documented evidence from a reliable source with a large sample size before spewing hearsay.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think you got a point. But I think you underestimate American consumers. NOTHING stop Americans from buying foreign brands ( exotic European cars, and economic Japanese brands)

Like I posted earlier, I would argue that this so called economic rationale for mass immigration is hopelessly short-term.Mass immigrants inflate the size of the economy and create a bubble, increasing total GDP but not GDP per capita. And in the long-term this creates enormous problems; as well as the cost of building the necessary infrastructure for an increased population.

This is why mass (rather than elite, skilled) immigration, brings very minor (if any) economic benefits and very high social costs.

I am all for skilled elite immigrants. But when you import 3rd world, you become 3rd world.
I think you and I are in violent agreement.
I really don't know much about the mass immigration, only the high-tech areas, but we always played by the rules, and most of those individuals have turned out to be highly productive (and contributing) members of the US society.

In terms of buying foreign brands of cars, the tide started changing in the 70's to very large competitive pressure from the imports ultimately to a degree that they started manufacturing plants in this country, such as BMW and Toyota, among others. Volvo makes a fair number of cars in Canada. Many American consumers switched to the import-named brands (the high-end cars from Toyota and others are still shipped from overseas), so I do respect the American consumer. They want the best value for the dollar. Value is equal to the quality divided by price. That is why I was saying earlier that is we have a company here in the US (or any company in the world), and they can't maximize quality, and minimize price, the company is history. Sorry, labor unions.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:36 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
"No, for the most part there is no need to learn a foreign language in this country for any reason whatsoever. "

Other than looking like a total idiot when proper English isn't used because the individual has no idea how the word was derived.
I cringe when I hear the word 'conversate' (though it is in urbandictionary.com)

Urban Dictionary: conversate

Or when an individual has no intellectual curiosity.

Don't know if it is still true, but some decent universities required two foreign languages to get a PhD... it was rough on the science/engineering majors, as they were in classes with the language/humanities majors.

" Aren't foreigners supposed to assimilate to our language rather than the other way around?"

Never saw a law requiring it. May be tough to get a good job, though.

"Most Hispanic-Americans can speak English..."

Please supply documented evidence from a reliable source with a large sample size before spewing hearsay.
It's BS the one can't get a good job unless they speak a foreign language. I have never heard one American use the word "conversate" either. Maybe in the rural south but certainly not most Americans. You're just nit-picking now. Most Americans can carry on a conversation in English that is understandable.

No there is no law that immigrants have to assimilate but if one chooses to migrate to this country why wouldn't you want to be a part of our society in every way?

I can't believe that you don't know that most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English but even if that weren't so we are not a Hispanic country in identity so why should they be pandered to in Spanish? You're a hypocrite implying that native English speakers should learn foreign languages in their own country and yet native Spanish speakers shouldn't learn English if they live here?

English Usage Among Hispanics in the United States | Pew Research Center

Old 05-28-2015, 03:42 PM

6 posts, read 10,128 times
The flyover country/middle america conservative view:

Jews run the American economy and finances and send working class white kids to die.
Mexicans invade you and take your 10$/an hour middle class white jobs.
Blacks destroy and pillage white homes, leech off white welfare despite the meth addicted trailer trash on food stamps
Asians invade and keep lower IQ white kids out of universities

Sucks to be white

Old 05-28-2015, 03:44 PM

6 posts, read 10,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
OP here. I would MUCH rather have these "illegal" immigrant Hispanic contributors than a few Chinese users.

A Louis Vuitton bag, Mercedes-Benz or mansion doesn't get bought? Yawn.

But who harvests our produce? Who constructs the homes we live in? Who cleans the hotels we stay in, or maybe even the house you live in? Not these Chinese USERS, but the Latino CONTRIBUTORS.

Before you rally against undocumented immigrants, think about what would happen if they all left. I can tell you it would not be pretty.
Quote:
I work as a cashier at a major retailer and you cannot even begin to fathom the amount of people who come through my checkout line buying junk food with their food stamp money. It disgusts me.
Yes, but white people will always hate you mexicans, not the chinese. deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies