Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2015, 04:38 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is going to blow up in Boehner's already scorched face. How Dare he stain the honor of his office as Speaker of the House by bringing a foreign head of state to OUR CAPITOL BUILDING to give a speech against the position of our sitting President. And Good for President Obama for refusing to meet with Netanyahu, and good for the many Jewish Americans planning to protest.

Poll: Nearly 2/3 of Americans say Netanyahu Congress speech a 'bad move' - Diplomacy and Defense - Israel News | Haaretz

The President oversees the State Department. The State Department implements foreign policy. Neither were involved in orchestrating this visit. America must speak to the world with one voice.

This is not Israeli chutspah scoring one for the alliance, it is an Israeli Prime Minister saying you don't have the balls to stop me. We give Israel three billion dollars a year and they act like they gave it to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 04:51 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayahuasca_mike View Post
His speech does not stop a deal from being realized. The only thing that COULD grenade a deal is if Iran walks. This can be accomplished by conservatives making known their intentions to grenade any deal should a conservative president be elected. This would strategically give Iran no choice, why submit to a deal that has the potential to be broken?

This issue of Mossad and Netanyahu being at odds does not sit right with me and should be explained before any speech I believe.

Those wanting war dont realize this isnt Iraq. Syria being Irans buffer state has an incredible amount of air defense weaponry, despite our tech we will be hit hard on this front. Beyond this, a ground offensive would be somewhat disatrous as Hezbollah fighters gave us hell in Iraq. Considering the fact that if Israel goes to war with Iran we are obligated by clause to assist, we all need to consider what this means to forgo a deal. If the majority want it they shouldn't complain years later when we are entrenched in more war and debt.
You are correct - Netanyahu's speech is just 'informational', it won't stop anything.
The Legislation that Congress is supporting - sanctions IF Iran does not comply with the DEAL and requesting to see the DEAL ...... also won't stop anything. So why is Iran and Obama so against carrots and sticks to make sure that Iran sticks to the DEAL?

Mossad and Netanyahu are "at odds" exactly the same way that US Military and Obama are "at odds" (see Armytimes poll that shows 15% of US Military support Obama's policy). Much of it is just Politics. Politics in Israel is much like here - Far Right, Right, Center Right, Center Left, Left, Far Left - they have Political differences. Do you really think everyone in US Intelligence agrees with Obama? IF so, you are not paying attention.

There is a LOT of hyperbole flying about - do what Obama wants OR we have WAR. do what Iran wants OR we have WAR. I've been hearing for years that we will go to WAR with Iran any minute now and the same about Israel. Not likely to happen, UNLESS Iran strikes one of us first.

Talk is fine, Negotiation is fine - showing weakness and giving in to a Totalitarian Regime that fosters Terror over much of the Mid-East just so we can say we have an unenforceable DEAL is NOT fine.

Circumventing Congress on ANY Major DEAL with a Foreign Power is not fine.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:55 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Try an average of $3 Billion and not $ 30 Billion. Also multiply what you paid in Federal taxes last year by 0.00089 and that will tell you how much you paid towards Israel (around two cups of coffee at Starbucks) for the entire year. As to the Iron Dome, the US wanted the rights to use the Israeli patent on US devices. So part of that money goes towards that and the US also wanted the contract for building the missiles for the Iron Dome. So there is money going in both directions in relation to the Iron Dome.

What people fail to realize is that Israel only gets paid out of one account. Thus Iraq and Afghanistan may look like less when compared to that same account when in fact they are paid from multiple accounts and thus average $14.8 Billion per year and they are nearing the $200 Billion mark in a period which is a little over ten years. Now add another $26 Billion the US spending on misc related to ISIS.

I don't know about you, but comparatively Israel is a bargain especially when it has never required US feet on the ground for anything.
They urged our engagement in Iraq as well and where were they? Still with their hands out receiving aid while we went trillions into the hole and lost thousands of lives. Israel has every right to defend itself from true aggressors this is undisputed but we have been useful idiots to them for some time. Israel wants regional dominance and speaking from a strictly geopolitical standpoint if they want it they have to engage in diplomacy, and perhaps armed conflict to achieve it. But dont drag us into it.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:57 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times

Give me a break.

As if I believe that 66% of Americans, polled or not, even know who Netanyahu is.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
You are correct - Netanyahu's speech is just 'informational', it won't stop anything.
The Legislation that Congress is supporting - sanctions IF Iran does not comply with the DEAL and requesting to see the DEAL ...... also won't stop anything. So why is Iran and Obama so against carrots and sticks to make sure that Iran sticks to the DEAL?

Mossad and Netanyahu are "at odds" exactly the same way that US Military and Obama are "at odds" (see Armytimes poll that shows 15% of US Military support Obama's policy). Much of it is just Politics. Politics in Israel is much like here - Far Right, Right, Center Right, Center Left, Left, Far Left - they have Political differences. Do you really think everyone in US Intelligence agrees with Obama? IF so, you are not paying attention.

There is a LOT of hyperbole flying about - do what Obama wants OR we have WAR. do what Iran wants OR we have WAR. I've been hearing for years that we will go to WAR with Iran any minute now and the same about Israel. Not likely to happen, UNLESS Iran strikes one of us first.

Talk is fine, Negotiation is fine - showing weakness and giving in to a Totalitarian Regime that fosters Terror over much of the Mid-East just so we can say we have an unenforceable DEAL is NOT fine.

Circumventing Congress on ANY Major DEAL with a Foreign Power is not fine.
Except that Mossad is an intelligence service not military, have we polled the CIA? No.

I am not naive enough to think so, but if our intelligence is working with an "ally" whos purposely misleading us then there is a larger issue.

While 10 years ago I may have agreed with you, I cant say the same for now. Israel has been caught on several occasions in Syrian airspace and has engaged and shot down a few Syrian war planes. This shows there evermore assertiveness closer to Irans border, also possibly testing air defense of Irans buffer state.

Again, what the president is doing is within the constraints of executive powers bestowed to him.

Former President Bush reached a nuclear deal with India along the same lines if I am not mistaken.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:05 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Of course you don't find this poll slanted in anyway,right? Is that why other polls have shown pretty much the opposite? Oh I know, all other polls are wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
With all due respect nita, what other polls? show us one that shows the opposite.
Post #41, this thread

I posted 3 different articles to show how this ONE poll was interpreted differently by a variety of Media.
Read the entire Poll.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Post #41, this thread

I posted 3 different articles to show how this ONE poll was interpreted differently by a variety of Media.
Read the entire Poll.
You're asking too much for the politics section.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:22 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
This is interesting because it wasn't all that long ago that the President of Mexico addressed congress regarding the immigration laws of Arizona. So apparently, the situation is really only outrageous when the speech in question violates liberal rhetoric, because for all the leftists protesting this speech not a one of them protested the Mexican President giving a speech in congress against the laws of one of our own states.

I say all this outrage over Netanyahu is nothing but unethical partisan posturing on the parts of Democrats. Otherwise, where were their protests over the other speech? So get off your absurd self righteous soapbox. When the President of Mexico slammed the Arizona immigration law on the floor of congress, the Democrats gave him a standing ovation. You all look like total hypocrites protesting this now.
How dare you! Exposing Democrat left wing hypocrisy! I guess you just don't understand "good for me not for thee"? Besides , Mexico's presidents message was a "humanitarian" one. Pleading for his people, and all the US $ they bring in to Mexico , BH jumping the border. It for the CHILDREN!

Old 03-02-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
everybody i talk to said it was a good move, I guess those that hate jewish people are the 2/3 voting no. I myself really don't see what the big deal is.
It's not hatred. Those of us who are not Jewish don't like being used. Reuters estimates that Iraq will cost us (the American people) two trillion dollars when it is over and done with. Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz sent a letter to Bush the lesser with a veiled threat that if he didn't invade Iraq they would use the press to label him soft on terrorism.

I'm a liberal who sees people with dual allegiances a threat to American interests. Israel has used up what good will that we had for them when it cost us $trillions$ and thousands of lives.

You should have been wiser.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You think Israel's head of state is going to get a fair shot from our Jew hating, closet Muslim President?

The Speaker is right on the money.
Maybe he saw what Mandella saw. An Israel that practices apartheid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies