Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2015, 06:58 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I never minded having the union deduct money from all my paychecks, because I sure didn't know how I was going to get another job that paid as good with very good benefits, such as sick leave.

It sounds like as far as you're concerned that you fee. the constitution should give you the freedom of not having blacks or homosexuals for co-workers. Unionized labor is becoming so rare these days, very few people are going to find a union deducting money from their paychecks, even though they did not sign up to become a union union member.
Well, others do have such a problem. Many, many people.

And the Constitution does give private businesses the freedom (at least it doesn't regulate the issue) to not have minority (I'm black, by the way) or homosexual employees. And from my view, general Federal legislation on the subject is unconstitutional, though there is a case to be made that current legislation prohibiting employers having above a certain number of employees is valid under the commerce clause (the greater the number of employees a business has, the greater the reach of that company, and the more difficult it is to argue that that company's reach does not extent into interstate commerce, which Congress is free to regulate). Hence, Federal civil rights employment laws only apply to employees of a certain size. That said, states are more than free, in my view, to regulate discrimination based on race, sexual orientation, etc., in private businesses.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:59 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I never minded having the union deduct money from all my paychecks, because I sure didn't know how I was going to get another job that paid as good with very good benefits, such as sick leave.

Unionized labor is becoming so rare these days in states without right to work, few people are going to be surprised to find a union deducting money from their paychecks, even though they did not sign up to become a union member.

It sounds like as far as you're concerned that you feel. the constitution should give you the freedom of not having blacks or homosexuals for co-workers.
Gracious! Are you daft? Nowhere in the post you responded to were any indications of racism or homophobia. If drumming those up as phantom issues is the best you and perhaps others can do then no wonder unions are losing incrementally.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:00 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Gracious! Are you daft? Nowhere in the post you responded to were any indications of racism or homophobia. If drumming those up as phantom issues is the best you and perhaps others can do then no wonder unions are losing incrementally.
I was thrown off by that, too, but decided to address the point for its constitutional validity for the sake of argument nonetheless. Still, rather bizarre.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:25 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yes, I'll readily admit it's actually true my case against Right to Work is so incredibly weak that I have no choice but to resort to using phantom issues. Unions are washed up, and I'll further admit that soon more than half the states will have Right to Work.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:30 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
In our glorious fight for civil rights, we must guard against being fooled by false slogans, such as ‘right to work.’ It is a law to rob us of our civil rights and job rights. Its purpose is to destroy labor unions and the freedom of collective bargaining by which unions have improved wages and working conditions of everyone…Wherever these laws have been passed, wages are lower, job opportunities are fewer and there are no civil rights. We do not intend to let them do this to us. We demand this fraud be stopped. Our weapon is our vote.

-Martin Luther King Jr. 1961
You have no right to a job. You don't need a right to work. Why are leftie ideas always made mandatory?

Old 03-07-2015, 07:31 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
In my experience, unionized workers are extremely lazy. I was auditing a company where the workers were unionized and there was a group of seven of them, including a supervisor, right next to where I was sitting. I was working there for several months, and every single day they would spend a good 6 hours of the day facing away from their workstations, just talking to each other. They treated their job like a social club. I had never encountered such lazy slugs in my life.
I remember in 1987 working on a project at a heavily unionized plant with around 150 union workers that was slated to close but nobody knew it.

The lowest paid person was paid $24.50/hour and that isn't adjusted for inflation... that's was $24.50/hour in 1987 dollars.

Adjusted for inflation that would be equivalent to $50.40 per hour with generous benefits on top of it. You wouldn't have believed it, these clowns spoke so poorly of the company you would have thought company management came in daily to beat their children and rape their wives. I am not exaggerating when I tell you 75% of their day was spent goofing off, complaining about management and more goofing off.

In 1988 the plant closed, all the workers were let go and I doubt any of them ever got a job that paid that well again.

The name of the plant? Westinghouse.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You have no right to a job. You don't need a right to work. Why are leftie ideas always made mandatory?
Then what do we have a right to? To breath air free of charge without worrying about getting billed for it from heaven?

Old 03-07-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
What is they go against your political belief and take a few $100 from your check to support you non political belief?
My union had a separate volunteerily given to fund for that purpose. And if the fund was given to Democrats to counter Republicans vehemently opposed to the existence of unions, why should I be opposed to money going for that?

Old 03-07-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
What saddens me is how many people praise Walker as a saint when he openly vows to make their lives worse. He openly despises unions and education, the two pillars of a healthy middle class. How can people not see it?
Simply because plenty of people in Wisconsin now strongly feel that the best corporate interests are now in their best personal interests, especially if they want a job. A life without a job is worse and more disgraceful.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Too much lefty ignorance from the usual suspects. Before you knock the following because it's from the Heritage Foundation, read it, you might learn something.

How Unions Work | The Employee Free Choice Act and the Economy
And you left out the part that unions support raising the min. wage, so there will be fewer workers in the labor market. So let's abolish the federal min. wage and see how well employers use the newly freed up labor market to find out how close to zero Americans are willing to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies