Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 11:16 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I'm not here to say homosexuality is a choice. I recognize there is quite a bit of evidence that say it is genetic (I haven't actually read any of these scientific studies but I believe they exist). Given the fact that homosexuality is genetic (according to the studies that people have produced) how does one explain people who are truly bisexual?
I don't see why the existence of bisexual people has much relevance to whether or not homosexuality is genetic.

But just for clarity: I don't think that any knowledgeable person is saying that very many people are simply "born gay" - although it is possible that some are. Genetics rarely determines anything - especially complex behaviors - quite so specifically. What genetics can do is explain tendencies. Some genetic combinations are statistically more likely to be expressed as one phenotype rather than another. Environmental factors almost always play at least some role in genetic expression.

As for bisexuality, keep in mind that sexuality is a spectrum, not a simple either/or situation.

Also keep in mind that part of the environment can be the chemical composition of the womb. (See: Gay Is Not All in the Genes and Fraternal birth order and male sexual orientation, for a couple of examples) So, independently of whether or not you have a genotype that leans toward gay behavior, you can have a fetal environment that can predispose someone to being gay.

Another thought: I have found that people who insist on homosexuality as a choice often have the idea that homosexuality is not "natural" and thus human homosexuality must be the result of choices made because of influences from human society. But just for the record, homosexual behavior is fairly common among bonobo monkey's, which are the genetically closest species to humans. Other species exhibit homosexual behavior as well. "Choice" or not, it's just something that happens in nature.

And, finally, for the purposes of political and moral discussions, I really don't think it ought to matter very much if homosexuality is a choice. We should be free to express our sexuality, even if it is "just a choice".

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 03-04-2015 at 12:31 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 11:19 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
hahahahahahahaha

thanks for the laugh

Thought you would get a giggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Ok. Is this the case for everyone that is bisexual though? Can someone be a bisexual adult without having experienced mental harm at a very young age? I would assume yes. This post of yours wasn't easy to follow so I'm primarily responding to the first sentence.
Yes, it is all a choice, caused by something that happens in that sexual experimentation stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
I don't think anyone is born with a specific sexuality. I think it all happens at a very young age though.

Pretty sure as long as you are not a hermaphrodite, you have a sex organ, specifically placed to further the species and a brain that drives that sex.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:31 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
All male bears are homosexual, because their fathers were never around to twine their hops.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:34 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Thought you would get a giggle.

Yes, it is all a choice, caused by something that happens in that sexual experimentation stage.

Pretty sure as long as you are not a hermaphrodite, you have a sex organ, specifically placed to further the species and a brain that drives that sex.
Is there proof of this or is this just your observation (Note: I am not saying your wrong)?

Old 03-04-2015, 11:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Other people's sex lives are none of my business.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:41 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnDgZuGIhHs

Old 03-04-2015, 12:01 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,757,525 times
Someone's claim to be a "bisexual" is really just BS. In reality, it's just men saying "Yes I screw around with other men, but look, I sleep with women too!!!"

Old 03-04-2015, 12:04 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,379 times
Bisexuality is just another fetish, there are some kinky weirdos running around. I try not to judge, as we all have our little quirks.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:05 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Other people's sex lives are none of my business.
Then why do homosexuals have to tell everyone they are gay? They should not tell anyone what they do but they have to take on an identity of sexual behavior and tell the world.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:06 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,339,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Someone's claim to be a "bisexual" is really just BS. In reality, it's just men saying "Yes I screw around with other men, but look, I sleep with women too!!!"
not.true.at all. You may have had this expierence but please, all people are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies