Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2015, 01:02 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
What makes you think this is a widespread problem? Do you have any factual evidence? Anecdotes are inappropriate.

80% of SNAP recipients work and are paying payroll taxes.

So, you'd let your anger create more starving children in America? Roughly half of all SNAP benefits go to children.

Why is the only qualification for food working slave hours that we fought against when establishing overtime protections?

Welfare fraud is a huge myth. How about you focus your anger on corporate welfare and government collusion. You'll find plenty of fraud there.

So your police officers, firefighters, and teacher's don't deserve a healthy retirement for their public service? Wow... you just don't like anyone.

You've managed to insult lots of honorable workers based off your own bitterness.
Hey, don't we deserve a healthy retirement? The difference is WE contribute to it. How about they contribute to theirs and they go to a 401k just like us because you believe in fair, right? Ive got a retired brother from the city of houston who spent 25 yeqrs in a library. The guy gets 30k a year in retirement for the rest of his life. If he lives 30 years it is 900k PLUS COLA on the taxpayers for working in a library. He's paid minimal taxes all his life. In the end he will receive much more than he ever contributed. Poor taxpayers. And yes, we debate it.

Do you have any idea what most folks will receive after 25 years of work??? And believe me, they work much, much harder than he ever did and risked waaaaaaay more. Do they not deserve a nice "healthy" retirement too? And they get no COLA. Houston, like other cities have finally f'in got it and have now revamped their retirements and pensions. They could no longer afford it. And they are the 4th or 5th largest city in the US with an extraordinary budget and tax base. Imagine how the pensions in your town will do?

Facts enough for you? Oh, and he gets unfettered acces to their health insurance. Not bad for a 25 year librarian, huh? It's not that it was a deal, it's that the city's can no longer afford those "healthy" entitlements people like you expect. Wake up. But, then again, math and finance never was your sides strong suit. Just tax and spend because you never know how to manage.

There is another person I grew up with that worked at a parks and recreation department for 30 years. His job was to go park his truck in a park at mid day, have his buddy pick him up, go to a dive bar and hide for the rest of the day, pick his truck up and drop it off at the motor pool and go home. For 20 of his years, this was his routine. Another is retiring as a city planner. 75% of the average of his last 3 years forthe rest of his life. Approx 65k plus cola. He's 56. If he lives 30 years, do the math. Healthy enough for you?

So much for "honorable". Believe it or not, not jealous. I'm just wondering how they will pay for it? Poor taxpayers.

Your type doesn't even believe we should drug test those that receive social benefits at the cost of others. Talk about rolling your eyes. That would be a violation of dem viability rights, right? How dare they? Of all the nerve! Accountability? Wutz dat?

Please skippy, keep sucking up your bennies quietly and keep a low profile. We're coming and the gravy train is ending. Shoe program!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 01:03 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
You still can't read, can you. I mentioned half. Plenty need the help so if you and I agree, why not stop the waste. How about the ability to cash EBT at convenience stores? Because you care, why don't you agree? Why should they spend $4.50 on a gallon of milk with OUR money when the same can be had for $3.00 at a grocery store.

Hers some facts skippy. 50 million Americans are using EBT. 1 out of 6. Do you REALLY believe all of those are legit?
Yes. If you make a low wage and have children you are going to qualify for EBT.

Quote:
That number WAS 25 million before your clown got in. It's doubled in 6 years. Now, knowing he f'd up the economy and doubled our debt, that still doesn't correlate. As far as WIC, EBT and other benefits are concerned, they are being rampantly abused and you know it. There is simply too much of it and all one has to see is "EBT accepted here's! Signs that spout up like weeds all over town in the last 3 years to know, it wasn't an accident.
You are the one sure of "rampant" abuse. Prove it. Where is the evidence? Like I said, anecdotes are inappropriate. Show me some numbers.

Quote:
As far as their contribution, how much? How much does one pay making 30k or less? The was a great study you can google. The LT governor of Pennsylvania went on record stating that a single mother of two making 58k per year actually lived WORSE than a single mother of two making 27k.
The LT Governor was misrepresenting the circumstances.

Quote:
Why? Because between her housing assistance, free Sprint Phone, free healthcare, transportation vouchers, WIC, EBT, etc kicked in, she was better off! Where is the justice in that???? Do you really think that is right? It's like ringing the dinner bell for the lazy. This coming from a rather blue state!
If she makes a low wage in a high-rent neighborhood with dependents, she is going to get benefits that could eclipse a single person making $58K. That's how the system works.

Quote:
Not my words skippy, the LT givernor as I recall. But, hey, it's my bitterness. Right? Like all democrats, never ever let the facts get in the way. Just keep your hands open skippy, maybe if you tax the ambitious enough, the wealth fairy will pay you a visit. Let me guess, you must be one of those proud "Merkuns" right?
I'm 26. I make significantly more than both people in your little story. No wealth fairy here. I have better things to worry about than bitching about poor children getting food assistance.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:15 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
It decreases the velocity of money and it is inflationary. There is no production associated with it.
If it's invested as capital in equities, etc., it absolutely DOES have production associated with it.

How do you not know that?

Old 03-07-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Not necessarily, at least not in a way that has any meaningful impact on the real economy as opposed to the financial economy.
Wow. That really displays your complete lack of understanding of how capital investment works.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
It creates a drag on the economy because there is no production if it is sitting in bank vaults.
Absolutely not true. It's used as a basis for fractional reserve lending with which to make additional business loans, which spurs economic growth.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:29 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Absolutely not true. It's used as a basis for fractional reserve lending with which to make additional business loans, which spurs economic growth.
When it works, in theory. When the capitalist class (this defined as the 0.1%, who own, on average, a minimum of $20m in assets per family) is on capital strike, that doesn't work. There's an old name for what you're advocating, and it's called trickle-down economics

Old 03-07-2015, 03:12 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wow. That really displays your complete lack of understanding of how capital investment works.
So explain to me how money sitting in a business' petty cash draw is working. Obviously someone made a capital investment to get it there at some point in the business history, but it is not working. The same is true for funds a business has to keep in a non interest bearing account. Again those funds ultimately came from someone's capital investment, but are they working no. How about funds that are invested in unused warehouse space. They are doing the opposite of working because your buildings are going through their usable life each passing year.

I didn't say funds that were invested never worked I said that the didn't necessarily work. Do you understand English well enough to understand the difference? Now contrast this with funds in injected in the real economy which are always working, because they are spent.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:20 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
You can spin all you want...sounds like you are drawing info from some idiot "financial" university professor who has never lived in the real world. Since I have owned, operated and been in full charge of making small businesses and a large corporation work successfully over the past nearly 60 years, both in productivity and financial solvency, not only do I know private (which you identify as real) and financial economies work together, I would actually describe the two as one not being able to function without the other.

As for you example of stocks, every stock transition does, indeed, affect the business which has issued that stock. The value of that stock certainly impacts the worth of that business, one area of which is the ability to make $'s for the stock holders and another area impacts loans.
Are you going to address anything I said or are you just going to brag anonymously on the internet about your alleged business acumen.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:30 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
..............the death tax exists to keep us from becoming how Britain has been for centuries. America is about earning your way not inheriting it.
Tradition is nice, but more recently this is being done through income redistribution and social programs...especially with the dearth of good jobs... hence the pursuit of people's lifetime EARNINGS and savings

Old 03-07-2015, 03:50 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,628 times
Quote:
Yes. If you make a low wage and have children you are going to qualify for EBT.

I have better things to worry about than bitching about poor children getting food assistance.
^^^^^

Yep. Pretty much this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies