Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you Believe That Jews Should be Excluded from Judicial Functions?
Yes, because Jews cannot possibly be objective 3 10.00%
Sometimes, because Jews sometimes take well-defined and predictable positions 0 0%
Rarely, such as when a Jew will have to judge a conflict between a Jew and non-Jew 1 3.33%
Never, always included on the merits. 26 86.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:41 AM

30,750 posts, read 18,452,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Antisemitism is on the rise and comes from many directions and forms neo-Nazi's, radical Islamists which I would not call left. Questioning the students religion was dumb, let it go at that.
Whether Antisemitism comes in many forms is irrelevant to this discussion. The fact that Islamists and Nazis are often antisemitic does nothing to change the point that we also often see antisemitism, disguised as anti-Zionism, etc., coming from the left, particularly at universities. As this thread is about a seemingly common trend of antisemitic behavior at a university (not about antisemisitm among Islamists, etc.), I felt my post was more than appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:48 AM

15,680 posts, read 10,465,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Antisemitism is on the rise and comes from many directions and forms neo-Nazi's, radical Islamists which I would not call left. Questioning the students religion was dumb, let it go at that.
Let it go? I disagree completely with you. It is amazing how anti-semitism has become mainstream and acceptable and the old hatreds are becoming commonplace once again. Barring candidates at university councils because they are Jews? No problem! Condemn the ONLY democracy in the middle east, one that treats women, gays and those of other faiths with respect and dignity? No problem!

'Never Again'. Don’t bet on it.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:22 AM

17,684 posts, read 17,889,169 times
The more leftist a university, the more anti-Jewish the student and faculty population.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:42 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,994,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The more leftist a university, the more anti-Jewish the student and faculty population.

Well, I work at the "Ivy League" University of Pennsylvania - which is about as liberal as they come - yet we don't have problems with anti-semitism here. In fact most of the non-Jewish student organizations participate in Jewish stuff like the build a Sukka on the holiday of Sukkhot.

On the contrary, I've heard it's really hard on Jewish students in very conservative campuses like Old Miss.

For what it's worth, I've read in an in depth article that the four students who voted against Rachel, the Jewish girl, two were Muslims, one was a Christian and one was a Sikh.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:24 PM

57,405 posts, read 26,409,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Let it go? I disagree completely with you. It is amazing how anti-semitism has become mainstream and acceptable and the old hatreds are becoming commonplace once again. Barring candidates at university councils because they are Jews? No problem! Condemn the ONLY democracy in the middle east, one that treats women, gays and those of other faiths with respect and dignity? No problem!

'Never Again'. Don’t bet on it.
I agree with everything you said I was just making a point to someone that needs to assign blame to a certain category, anti-Semitism is on the rise in many places and from many factions.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:33 AM

9,416 posts, read 13,085,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Well, I work at the "Ivy League" University of Pennsylvania - which is about as liberal as they come - yet we don't have problems with anti-semitism here. In fact most of the non-Jewish student organizations participate in Jewish stuff like the build a Sukka on the holiday of Sukkhot.

On the contrary, I've heard it's really hard on Jewish students in very conservative campuses like Old Miss.

For what it's worth, I've read in an in depth article that the four students who voted against Rachel, the Jewish girl, two were Muslims, one was a Christian and one was a Sikh.
Penn is certainly liberal, but it's also grounded in reason. It's a step below schools like Swarthmore, Oberlin, and Hampshire, which I consider liberal to the point of insanity (and I speak as a self-identified liberal). However, many of these "left beyond left" schools have large Jewish populations--the above included--and quite a few of their Jewish students are anti-Israel activists. Anti-Zionism is not anti-Semitism, but the single-mindedness of most members of the movement is hypocritically myopic at best. There is an uncomfortable amount of symbolism and rhetoric that skirt the line, however.

Regardless, as other posters have pointed out, neither the left nor right has a monopoly on anti-Semitism. An anti-Semitic Ole Miss student will drop the "K" bomb and move on. An anti-Semitic Hampshire student will denounce Zionism by subtly invoking anti-Semitic tropes. Both sound pretty lousy to me, though the concerted effort of the latter to mask his or her intentions is ultimately more troubling.

The UCLA incident was textbook anti-Semitism. The "Jew with divided loyalties" motif is a time-honored classic. The tie-in to anti-Israel on-campus radicalism is clear. I doubt the Muslim students (or any other student candidates) were asked about their ability to "remain objective," nor should they be. Chancellor Block's choice to call this a "teaching moment" is disheartening, especially given that he's a fellow tribesman.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:30 PM

35,399 posts, read 17,319,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Anti-Zionism is not anti-Semitism,....
I take issue with that contention. Anti-Zionism is old wine in new bottles. It's people finding a reason that Jews are not entitled to a Jewish national homeland.

Quote:
....but the single-mindedness of most members of the movement is hypocritically myopic at best. There is an uncomfortable amount of symbolism and rhetoric that skirt the line, however.
Quite true.
Quote:
The UCLA incident was textbook anti-Semitism. The "Jew with divided loyalties" motif is a time-honored classic. The tie-in to anti-Israel on-campus radicalism is clear.
Quite true.
Quote:
I doubt the Muslim students (or any other student candidates) were asked about their ability to "remain objective," nor should they be.
That would be considered racist, for sure.
Quote:
Chancellor Block's choice to call this a "teaching moment" is disheartening, especially given that he's a fellow tribesman.
Why isn't a "teaching moment" or "teachable moment?"

Old 03-10-2015, 01:57 PM

9,416 posts, read 13,085,347 times
^On your last point, I took issue with the fact he called it a "teaching moment" instead of an "anti-Semitic incident," though I understand that calling a spade a spade would only intensify the drama for him.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:04 PM

18,505 posts, read 15,336,792 times
It seems to be happening at universities all over the US. Not that it is ONLY muslims, but from the video footage, it seems like this is mostly started by muslim groups on campus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNDCcsH_wgU

Old 03-10-2015, 06:31 PM

2,061 posts, read 2,563,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It seems to be happening at universities all over the US. Not that it is ONLY muslims, but from the video footage, it seems like this is mostly started by muslim groups on campus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNDCcsH_wgU
Thank you for posting that .I didn't know things had gotten that bad. I felt scared for the Jewish students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies