Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 08:37 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,310,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't care who the president is, it is their job to be the ones doing the negotiations, not some random idiot in Congress. I would say the exact same thing if a Democrat in Congress did this to a Republican president.
Did you? Did you say the same thing when Jim Wright sent a letter to Daniel Ortega in Nicaragua while Reagan was trying to help the Contras? And then the Democrats blocked all aid to them? Did you support Reagan's efforts to help them because he was the executive with the power to direct foreign policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
First?

HA! HA! HA!

Good One!
There is a difference between using executive orders to fix legislation where there is broad consensus, but another thing when you create the legislation because you can not get consensus. That is not how the system is supposed to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Treason? Give me a break, when dems do much worse you guys throw a parade, and then reelect them.

7 Times Democrats Advised America's Enemies to Oppose the President

1. Senators John Sparkman (D-AL) and George McGovern (D-SD). The two Senators visited Cuba and met with government actors there in 1975.
  2. Senator Teddy Kennedy (D-MA). In 1983, Teddy Kennedy sent emissaries to the Soviets to undermine Ronald Reagan’s foreign policy.
  3. House Speaker Jim Wright (D-TX). In 1984, 10 Democrats sent a letter to Daniel Ortega Saavedra, the head of the military dictatorship in Nicaragua, praising Saavedra for “taking steps to open up the political process in your country.”
  4. Senator John Kerry (D-MA). Kerry jumped into the pro-Sandanista pool himself in 1985, when he traveled to Nicaragua to negotiate with the regime. He wasn’t alone; Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) joined him.
  5. Representatives Jim McDermott (D-WA), David Bonior (D-MI), and Mike Thompson (D-CA). In 2002, the three Congressmen visited Baghdad to play defense for Saddam Hussein’s regime.
  6. Senator Jay Rockefeller (D-WV). In 2002, Rockefeller told Fox News’ Chris Wallace, “I took a trip by myself in January of 2002 to Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Syria, and I told each of the heads of state that it was my view that George Bush had already made up his mind to go to war against Iraq, that that was a predetermined set course which had taken shape shortly after 9/11.”
  7. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA). In April 2007, as the Bush administration pursued pressure against Syrian dictator Bashar Assad, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi went to visit him. There, according to The New York Times, the two “discussed a variety of Middle Eastern issues, including the situations in Iraq and Lebanon and the prospect of peace talks between Syria and Israel.”
Yeah, the Dems don't see it that way. They were "highly principled" and when GOP does the same they are "highly partisan."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 08:54 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,710,145 times
The letter was a major political gaffe, it told the world that the GOP hates Obama more than a nuclear Iran. There were some Republicans, who to their credit, refused to sign this misguided letter.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:10 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,096,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Oh stop....
Bush endured just as much hatred....it must be because he's white!
No, no he didn't. False equivalencies are up there with omissions as the worst kind of lie in my book.

1) Was Bush ever called a liar during a State of the Union address?
2) Was a state governor ever so disrespectful as to meet President Bush on the tarmac and wag his/her finger in the President's face?
3) How many president's have been called "food stamp president" by candidates? Do you think when the economy was bad for Regan, or Bush, and people relied on government aid that anyone would've called him a food stamp president?
4) Speaker John Boehner on August 31, 2011 became the first speaker in history to tell a sitting president that he would not be permitted to deliver an address to a joint session of Congress on the date specifically requested by the White House
5) How many racist emails were written about Presidents Bush, Clinton, or Reagan by Federal Judges?
Federal judge who sent racist Obama e-mail requests review
6) Birthers... do I need to say more? Well, being from Texas I'll point out that despite all of the hullabaloo over that nonsense, people on the far right want Ted Cruz (who was actually born in Canada) to run for President.

Look, I genuinely don't think most Republicans are intentionally racist, and the list above are the actions of a few who happen to be in pretty high places within the government &/or that party. That said, it's disappointing to see rank and file members of the party jump to the defense of these racist acts & then claim to not be racist as well.

If you really don't want to come across as racist to those not in your camp (either Independents or Democrats), then you really should think about how your defense of racist acts looks. Honestly though, after 6 years of this crap, I'm pretty convinced the plurality of those republicans who blindly defend their leaders actually are racist.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:13 AM

I also find it very odd that the republicans are so opposed to ANY deal with Iran. Especially when you consider many of them hold Reagan in such high regards, when he cut a very famous deal with the Iranians...

Old 03-11-2015, 09:14 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,542,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Look, I genuinely don't think most Republicans are intentionally racist, and the list above are the actions of a few who happen to be in pretty high places within the government &/or that party. That said, it's disappointing to see rank and file members of the party jump to the defense of these racist acts & then claim to not be racist as well.

If you really don't want to come across as racist to those not in your camp (either Independents or Democrats), then you really should think about how your defense of racist acts looks. Honestly though, after 6 years of this crap, I'm pretty convinced the plurality of those republicans who blindly defend their leaders actually are racist.
The only racist here is you, as you demonstrated by playing the race card.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:17 AM

19,734 posts, read 10,164,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And while we are at it, bring the idiot squatting in the WH up on charges for violating the Constitution.
How did he do that? Every president, yes even the Republicans, have negotiated treaties.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:26 AM

59,300 posts, read 27,467,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Should we have a unified foreign policy? Or is it okay for any bozo senator or small-town mayor be able to speak for our country with another power? What these idiots did is a disrespect toward the office of the POTUS.

Republicans are beginning to act as though Barack Obama isn’t even the president - The Washington Post
Before calling people "idiots", you might want to do some research on ALL the times the dems gave done the same thing when we had a repub President.

Or are you just mad when it is a dem President?

Old 03-11-2015, 09:45 AM

59,300 posts, read 27,467,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
The Senators who signed the letter should be brought up on treason charges. If they don't stand with the United States then they shouldn't be allowed to speak for it.
WOW! Talking about exaggerating.

Please, being you are so smart about treason, tell us WHAT did they do that is so treasonous.

They informed Iran that any thing signed by Obama will EXPIRE when he is out of office because the Congress did NOT support it.

Obama has NOT consult Congress on this AT ALL.

So telling a foreign country the truth is now "treason"
"A group of 47 Republican senators has written an open letter to Iran’s leaders warning them that any nuclear deal they sign with President Barack Obama’s administration won’t last after Obama leaves office."

" the letter is meant not just to discourage the Iranian regime from signing a deal but also to pressure the White House into giving Congress some authority over the process."

“It has come to our attention while observing your nuclear negotiations with our government that you may not fully understand our constitutional system … Anything not approved by Congress is a mere executive agreement,” the senators wrote. “The next president could revoke such an executive agreement with the stroke of a pen and future Congresses could modify the terms of the agreement at any time.”
So, according by the highly knowledgeable "experts" like your self notifying Iran about the "deal" is not worth the paper it is written on is "treason", according to you.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The only racist here is you, as you demonstrated by playing the race card.
If by calling out the unprecendented actions by Republicans to President Obama, and noting the strong likelihood they wouldn't have happened to any prior Presidents (all of whom happen to be white) makes me a racist then so be it.

Good thing it doesn't, and your comment to me is as asinine as most of your other ones on this thread.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:51 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,242,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Did you? Did you say the same thing when Jim Wright sent a letter to Daniel Ortega in Nicaragua while Reagan was trying to help the Contras? And then the Democrats blocked all aid to them? Did you support Reagan's efforts to help them because he was the executive with the power to direct foreign policy?
I can honestly say I did not say the same thing when Jim Wright sent a letter to Daniel Ortega. Though in my defense, I didn't even know who Jim Wright was because I was a kid, and I didn't really pay attention to politics then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies