Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 04:55 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,490,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
And the hits keep coming!
Am I wrong? Obama is clearly worried about the Democrat dominance the media goes on and on about. Blacks and liberal whites can't secure their dominance alone and they still can't achieve it with the low turnout rate from Asians and Hispanics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 05:34 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,026,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Put "None of the above" on the ballot and I'm game...although I can see where this is going. Little old ladies and men who man the tables won't be able to handle the overload/lines. Some prog will take advantage of the situation (that was the goal in the first place), jump up and say, "We need to be able to vote from home." The system will then be totally corrupted until some dictator comes along to make it all better and some mouthpiece will see it as a reason to give every person living here their own free computer so they aren't disenfranchised.

In my view, we already have 100 percent voter turnout.

See, those who choose to not physically go to a voting booth are, in practicality, choosing 'None of the Above'.

Why should it be mandatory that a person go to a voting booth and vote 'none of the above'? They can and do achieve the same end-result by staying home, and saving energy to boot.

President Obama should have thanked the American people for their 100 percent participation rate, recognizing that for them to not participate is indeed participating.

Anyway, I imagine that President Obama is being playful, in his own way, by floating an idea sure to stir up the hornet's nest.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:59 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,930,818 times
I think it just shows that Obama has no concept in his head of what "freedom" means, or what the Bill of Rights is all about. Its like its a different language that he can't understand one word of it. Part of the idea of "freedom" is the right to be left alone.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:17 AM

3,840 posts, read 3,072,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Will there be penalties for not voting or subsidies if you do ?
Well if they make voting mandatory the government would be required to provide free or subsidized transportation to/from the voting polls. This will better explained in the 1,300 page bill that Congress
will write but will not read before passing.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:36 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,063,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
In other words you want a 'literacy test' straight out ta the Jim Crow south.

*****Now on cue- everybody feign incredulity that I think Republicans are a bunch of entitled racists!*****
I am not in favor of any tests but

1) Is it your belief that certain races are not smart enough to pass a civics tests.
2) Is it your belief that certain races don't care enough to a pass a literacy test.
3) How does a few internet posters translate into "Republicans are a bunch of entitled racists".

Old 03-19-2015, 06:39 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,063,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
I don't know about "mandatory voting", but it is very interesting that a certain group of people are very afraid of 100% voter turnout. That suggests they are not on board with a democratic process that enables all voters.

Would someone who is against 100% voter turnout (via any process), explain why that is?
Who was afraid 100% voter turnout? Every eligible voter should be allowed to vote not forced to vote.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:43 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,737,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Who was afraid 100% voter turnout? Every eligible voter should be allowed to vote not forced to vote.
That is what I said. Not forced, but enabled. Still, several people have already expressed the view that 100% turnout suggests (at least to them ) an advantage to the democrats. Why it may not not desirable to the GOP. Just my opinion.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:48 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,875,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well that is a true statement, politics in this country would completely change if everyone voted.
Making truthful statements seem to be abhorrent to some people.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:48 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,737,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Am I wrong? Obama is clearly worried about the Democrat dominance the media goes on and on about. Blacks and liberal whites can't secure their dominance alone and they still can't achieve it with the low turnout rate from Asians and Hispanics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
He wants to force lazy Asian and Hispanic voters to go blue.
I interpreted this to mean that you think 100% turnout would be an advantage to the Democrats. i actually do not think you are wrong. i think the GOP knows this and does not want it. A previous poster disagreed with that assertion and you came along to help prove the point, right on schedule no less.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:50 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,229,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

In any location you can get an absentee ballot. A lot of areas have early voting where you have a one month window in which to vote.

Voting is ridiculously easy in this country and that in most elections most people can not be bothered is fine with me. I only want people who care enough to make the effort to vote.
Tell that to the people that stood in line for 6 or more hours to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies