Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 01:56 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
really? factory jobs are gone? i can think of at least three companies right here in my hometown that are factory jobs, leoni cable, triple S plastics, and hughs aircraft/raytheon.
There are fewer manufacturing sector jobs than there used to be. A drop of about 30% since 2000.
Chart: http://data.bls.gov/generated_files/...d_M02_data.gif

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 02:11 PM

123 posts, read 149,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
There are fewer manufacturing sector jobs than there used to be. A drop of about 30% since 2000.

There were 30,000 people applying for a 3,000 jobs when KIA opened in West Point, GA. Highest paying gig with room to advance. People drive 2 hours to get to work everyday. People are willing to work, but there just isn't enough quality jobs to go around.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:33 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Ah, yes...

The lazy, stupid, unqualified American worker meme.

It's nothing new. The right wing has been using this lie for decades, especially in their never ending attempts to destroy unions and justify offshoring. These guys love to hate Americans. A casual stroll through the threads and posts in this forum confirms it all too well.

And Fox News is their gospel.
True enough, but doesn't mean there aren't a few of us real conservatives left who see though the BS to the hijacking and theft of our nation just like you do.

There is nothing whatsoever conservative about what global corporations are doing to us, but you're quite correct in stating that one of Fox's missions is to try to make us think so.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:42 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Ah, yes...

The lazy, stupid, unqualified American worker meme.

It's nothing new. The right wing has been using this lie for decades, especially in their never ending attempts to destroy unions and justify offshoring. These guys love to hate Americans. A casual stroll through the threads and posts in this forum confirms it all too well.

And Fox News is their gospel.
We need to outsource big headed "Talking heads" on the major news networks. I would start with Tom Friedman and tell him to pack it up and beat it, you've been replaced by a jabbering Bot.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post

that may be, but the jobs are still out there, one just needs to polish up their resume and their job skills and go and get those jobs. and just putting in an application and answering a few questions doesnt mean you will ge tthe job. one has to sell ones self to the employer. when i was doing the hiring, one of my questions was always, "why should i hire you, and not someone else?" if you sold me on why i should hire you, you got the job, if not, well better luck next time.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:48 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
I was watching Fox News last night and they had a panel that was going on a rant about how Americans are too lazy to acquire the skills to fill the enoooooourmous number of high-paying job openings in the United States, for which companies have to fill with H1B Visa workers because they "can't find any qualified Americans."
Can you provide a link or something so instead of just believing you that Fox News was saying Americans are too lazy to acquire the skills to fill the jobs. Or should I just take your word for it.

As an aside I am in a tech industry and it is not always easy to find the right qualified employees.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:42 PM

615 posts, read 726,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Can you provide a link or something so instead of just believing you that Fox News was saying Americans are too lazy to acquire the skills to fill the jobs. Or should I just take your word for it.
It was on the Sean Hannity show. I don't think that full episodes of it are online.

By the way, I'm not a Fox News watcher; it happened to be on the TVs at the gym.

Quote:
As an aside I am in a tech industry and it is not always easy to find the right qualified employees.
Yes, but if American companies aren't training enough people to have the experience that they want, then they can't complain about there being a shortage of experience, and they can't assume that everyone who doesn't have the experience is lazy.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:20 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Global economy bring new realities to the equation.

You want to have jobs? Guess what........it has to make financial sense for companies to have ANY of their operations in the USA. Wanna put the screws to the evulllll big businesses........might as well say bye-bye!

Old 03-19-2015, 10:21 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,682,796 times
I applied for a produce associate at a supermarket a while ago, and you wouldn't believe that the auto response email said that the position had a high volume of applicants. Also, a dishwasher application at Boston Market requires an IQ test. I kid you not!!!

Employers can only play tricks like this when they have a pool of candidates to choose from.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:29 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,682,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
oh cry me a river. the job markets has ALWAYS been hyper competitive. today is nothing new.
I've heard countless boomers say that while there were employment shocks in the 70s and 80s, it was much easier to land a job in that environment than now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies