Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:53 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,647,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
This is your list??? Bahahahaha. Wow! I'm afraid to step out of the house now.
What you SHOULD be afraid of is the steady erosion of liberty. One day, these things will affect you, too. Then you won't be so quick to laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 08:54 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,551,846 times
Don't go to California where they want to control your ability to regulate the temperature in your house.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:06 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,819,830 times
Australia has strict rules and regulations governing various aspects of your life,but unless you live near to an urban area there is little chance of you being affected.

I have been searching properties in Australia and found one in particular that was so far out you didn't even pay council rates(property taxes) as no services were provided...you better be willing to live self sufficiently however...

Old 01-15-2008, 09:24 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,694,851 times
Quote:
This is your list??? Bahahahaha. Wow! I'm afraid to step out of the house now.
I've been in 130 countries, and Ive never been afraid to step out of the house. Is that where you draw the line between 'good' countries and 'bad' ones? I have seen very few instances in which citizens of any country appeared to be restricted by any government rule in their day-to-day freedom and safety. As long as people do not engage in revolutionay behavior that threatens their government, they are pretty much free to go about their business. Now, though, in the USA, everyone is suspect of terrorism. Merely going to the airport, or the library, makes you a suspect and you are forced to surrender your presumption of innocence.

I fear the police in the USA more than I fear criminals. A criminal can deprive me of the change in my pocket, maybe my old car, or my $130 TV, maybe a wound that will heal, and I can fight back to defend myself. The police (who carry lethal force and know how to use it) can deprive me, unchallenged, of my life, my freedom, my property, my dignity, my emotional well-being, my life savings, and my presumption of innocence. This is rapidly becoming a serious issue in this country.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:38 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,551,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've been in 130 countries, and Ive never been afraid to step out of the house. Is that where you draw the line between 'good' countries and 'bad' ones? I have seen very few instances in which citizens of any country appeared to be restricted by any government rule in their day-to-day freedom and safety. As long as people do not engage in revolutionay behavior that threatens their government, they are pretty much free to go about their business. Now, though, in the USA, everyone is suspect of terrorism. Merely going to the airport, or the library, makes you a suspect and you are forced to surrender your presumption of innocence.
It's a safety precaution. You don't have to fly. If you fly, they are going to look out for the safety of the other passengers as well as yourself. Those are the rules of air travel. You can avoid that if you wish. If they didn't do that, the same people that complain about it would want to sue the airlines when there was a hijacking for not protecting passengers.

Libraries are public and are funded by tax dollars. The government having access to the title of the book I check out does not bother me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
police (who carry lethal force and know how to use it) can deprive me, unchallenged, of my life, my freedom, my property, my dignity, my emotional well-being, my life savings, and my presumption of innocence. This is rapidly becoming a serious issue in this country.
When was this passed? I hadn't heard about that. Did they abolish the court system without anyone telling me?

Old 01-15-2008, 11:43 AM

11,574 posts, read 13,907,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
One day, these things will affect you, too. Then you won't be so quick to laugh.
I won't hold my breath on that one.

Sounds like some of you are a wee bit paranoid.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:23 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,124,717 times
Quote:
I won't hold my breath on that one.

Sounds like some of you are a wee bit paranoid.
I've seen people charged under the Patriot Act for actions that had nothing to do with terrorism, the prosecution just couldn't find an appropriate law. I wouldn't be so quick to laugh off giving them an umbrella law to file charges whenever they please.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:31 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,694,851 times
((Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88
police (who carry lethal force and know how to use it) can deprive me, unchallenged, of my life, my freedom, my property, my dignity, my emotional well-being, my life savings, and my presumption of innocence. This is rapidly becoming a serious issue in this country.))

When was this passed? I hadn't heard about that. Did they abolish the court system without anyone telling me?
-----------------------
Oh yeah? Try resisting arrrest sometime and see what happens.
A police officer has the right to presume your guilt---which is why about one third of the people who will sleep in a jail tonight have never been convicted. They are still waiting for their 'day in court' in order to prove themselves innocent at their own expense---maybe weeks or months from now. If a policemen says "May I search your car?", do you think it is because he presumes you are innocent?

There are currently 2-million people incarcerated in the US now. How many people in the past year or two do you think have been arrrested, and subsequently either had their charged dismissed, or were given a suspended sentence? Probably at leas 2-million, which means out of every two people a cop arrests, only one of them is judicially deemed to be incarcerated. But they both go to jail.

Do you have any idea whatsoever what it is like to go to jail? And how much it costs to get out? And what your chances are of being sent there, at least overnight, even if you are not guilty of anything?

They did not change the law. Americans have ALWAYS been presumed guilty until they prove themselves innocent. Why can't you just say to the judge "Your honor, I'm going home now. Phone me if I'm proven gulity."

Old 01-15-2008, 02:37 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,445,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
You've heard of the Patriot Act, right?

It is actually the USA PATRIOT Act (an acronym). Please look at a description of the original legislation. The Repubs used an acronym on purpose because they knew it would be misidentified by the public.

"Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001"
USA PATRIOT Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-15-2008, 02:43 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,635,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I understand the government has already taken the first steps in suspending American freedoms and liberties. I know they will continue to take more steps under the guise of safety as Ronald Regan, JFK, and our founding fathers warned us about. The world's immigrants wants to come over to the U.S. because of all the world's governments, we still are the ones who guarantees the most freedom but I fear that time will be short-lived. My question is this, where else can we go when America becames the land of tyranny? It has placed throughout the world many puppet-governments that it controls. But the strange thing about puppet-governments, they don't last forever. Where can you go and still be free? Honestly, where can you go? I would like to move all my assets there and retire there because America is heading towards the wrong path. Anyone know? I would like suggestions...
we have considered this as well. Not just because of lost freedoms, but the general direction America is going. These elections are just proving to me that America is not ready for real change. We are taxed to death and pay for people that shouldn't be here. Health care costs. it is a corporate country. Atleast if I live somewhere I didn't grow up and love, I wouldn't feel so helpless and scared for America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies