Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 04:46 PM

24,434 posts, read 23,098,542 times

Advertisements

I thought Obama wanted to give the guy a medal and dedicate a statue for him? Another " D'Oh!bama" moment by our imbecile in chief.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:50 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,692,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

The difference of course is that the Republicans, especially a candidate, were not privy to the information that the DOD and WH had on the circumstances of the sergeant's absence f
rom his post.

The platoon mates of Private Bergdahl were quite open about what they had seen and what comments had been made by him.

It wasn't some major secret that his disappearance was more of an intentional action on the part of Private Bergdahl than some sort of enemy attack. Soldiers don't just disappear off a secure FOB without some negligence at best and major malfeasance at worst on their own part.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:05 PM

17,445 posts, read 9,283,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KibbyYou can bet for sure it's my opinion - I can't "judge" him for many reasons, but top of the list is that I'm not in the Military.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Compare that to the White House Press office AND National Secu crity Advisor Susan Rice calling Bergdahl a "Soldier to served with HONOR and DISTINCTION"

Maybe the above was Susan Rice's opinion, also.

Two can play that game.

She did not use the qualifier 'in my opinion'.

Neither did you.
The accusation was being "judgmental" - I gave my opinion AND it is shared by many, INCUDING the US Army that has just brought charges against Berghahl. They used a many months investigation to bring those charges, but a lot of what they were investigating was KNOWN. Rolling Stone magazine did a long expose on Bergdahl with interviews with his family and fellow Unit members. TeamObama HAD to be aware of all that ..... and yet ....... the words "Served with HONOR and DISTINCTION" came from the mouthpieces of TeamObama.

On the other hand - Susan Rice is the National Security Advisor to the President of the United States. She is not allowed a personal opinion based on her ideology or that of the President for political purposes. This entire deal was perceived by TeamO to be a Major good publicity feel good moment - they continue to be totally Tone Deaf to internet history AND to the American people and their own Military.

The Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs, commonly referred to as the National Security Advisor or at times informally termed the NSC advisor, is a senior aide in the Executive Office of the President, based at the West Wing of the White House, who serves as the chief in-house advisor to the President of the United States on national security issues.

The APNSA also participates in the meetings of the National Security Council and usually chairs the Principal Committee meetings with the Secretary of State and Secretary of Defense (i.e. the meetings not attended by the President). The APNSA is supported by the National Security Staff (NSS) that produces research and briefings for the APNSA to review and present, either to the National Security Council or directly to the President.

Ideally, the APNSA serves as an honest broker of policy options for the President in the field of national security, rather than as an advocate for his or her own policy agenda.

"Honest Broker" doesn't mean you get to ignore the facts and give an "opinion" - particularly when it involves a DEAL to release 5 Terrorists for 1 Deserter. The Taliban 5 will free to travel the world at the end of May and plan more anti-American Terror attacks - reports are that 3 of them are already making plans.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:31 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,572,093 times
Default Bowe Bergdahl, once missing U.S. soldier, charged with desertion

I enjoy the amateur right wing lawyers and their "thirsty for blood" posts in this thread.

Me?

If Bergdahl is found guilty than let the wheels of military justice churn out a verdict.

But that's the salient point; he's undergoing US military justice, not Taliban terrorist or right wing lynch mob justice. He's an American serviceman and he should be handled as such.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And lost 6 truly brave soldiers in the process.
That is NOT among the charges (I guess it could be added with testimony) - IF it were among the charges then the Death Penalty would be on the Table, which it's not at this point.

Does everyone understand that the most serious charge that Bergdahl faces is the Article 99 charge? Maximum penalty there is Life in Prison, Maximum (jail time) penalty on the Desertion charge is 5 years in prison. Both charges are going for all benefits and payback of the "back pay".

Old 03-25-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I agree. First, it seems to me that every US citizen should have his/her day in court. No matter what.

Second, the commitment to make every effort to bring a soldier home is part of the contract that we as a people make with our soldiers. No matter what.
The Big Rose Garden Ceremony and the "Served with HONOR and Distinction" by the National Security Advisor and White House Press officials are the sticking points ...... that, and the negotiation and trade of Terrorists. We just don't do that as a Nation, it's been a long standing policy until TeamObama.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Susan Rice with yet another phony story.

Well they will use that in court. Who is going to say Obama and Rice lied to Americans about him ?
I doubt it. It would mean both Rice and Obama would be subpoenaed for a Military Court Martial.
I think that is unlikely - there will be a plea deal of some sort to avoid the subpoenas. Keep in mind that in the normal course of events, these things take many years - i.e., Nadal Hasan from the Fort Hood shooting. Unlikely that Obama OR Rice want to drag this out through the rest of his Presidency.
I also find it interesting that Ash Carter (the new Secretary of Defense) managed to break the log jam on the Bergdahl incident and move this forward. It's been stagnating for months - the investigation was finished last August, the law review was finished in November. Carter was confirmed in February and assumed office on February 17, 2015. 5 weeks later, the charges against Bergdahl were released.

Of course - I suppose that part of the plea deal might be a promised Presidential Pardon. IF so, that will become part of the Great Obama Legacy that he constantly searches for.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:02 PM

27,169 posts, read 15,347,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you are going to leave US servicemen behind for any reason, you MUST have judged them guilty before trial. How else can you make the decision to abandon them?

You contradict yourself.

He left himself behind.

He made the judgment call to do so......period!

Old 03-25-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Your words: the notion of not leaving people behind doesn't necessarily apply if the person involved willfully abandon their unit

I and I'm sure multitudes of others flat out agree with that.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
CNN is reporting that Obama and Susan Rice's comments calling his a hero who served with distinction could be used by the defense in a court martial trial, making it hard to find him guilty.

Yet if he was just plain discharged he couldn't keep his doctor.

Character witnesses should have some character of their own to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies