Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 06:57 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
But he does get to decide where Apple does business. And you can bet that's something Mike Pence cares about.
I doubt it. Nobody will shut down a state, If Apple pulls out someone else will move in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 07:20 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,630,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Did you see This Week on ABC this morning. Govenor Pence mopped the floor with George Stephanopolis. Pence is really smart, I was impressed.
George asked pence a question 6 times and pence wouldn't answer. How do you get "smart" from something like that? I guess you were impressed with George Bushs presidency also?

Old 03-29-2015, 08:03 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
A bill like this is a big win for freedom of association. Why should a business owner be FORCED to do business with someone they do not want to? The business is their property, not the "people's" or the "public's." Anyone who is against freedom of association is a rank statist at heart.
So in your world storekeepers would have the right to show the door to Blacks, Chinese, Muslims, Jews, etc., in addition to gays?

Old 03-29-2015, 08:10 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Majority maybe not, but suppose 10% did. You'd see Indiana unemployment where Michigan was 10 years ago, as the nation's worst economy.

PS: Corps can make money in 49 states, and hundreds of countries, avoiding Indiana if they wish. The inverse is not true.
Corps can make money in Indiana and avoid everywhere else if they so wish.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So in your world storekeepers would have the right to show the door to Blacks, Chinese, Muslims, Jews, etc., in addition to gays?
In my world, yes, and whites too. It is their property.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:16 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yes, why not? If I own property that property is an extension of me and just like no one can touch me without my consent, no one can enter my property without my consent. If a man opens a shop and decides he only wants white Christians to shop there, who is anyone else to stop him? If you think that is just so horrible and you could never support that then you have every right to NOT shop there. If enough people decide to not do business with that shop it will begin to put economic pressure on the owner and he will either change his policy or close down shop.

What is the fear here? That if we made freedom of association legal again we'd instantly be thrust back into the 1920s? Doubtful because most businesses want to make money and they do not care whose money they take. Green is the color they care about.

In my world people would have freedom to live their lives how they please and that right would extend not just to white business owners, but all business owners. If a business decided it was "No Whites Allowed" I would just simply not attend there. At least it would be out in the open and I would no longer be giving business to an owner who does not like me.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
What is the fear here? That if we made freedom of association legal again we'd instantly be thrust back into the 1920s? Doubtful because most businesses want to make money and they do not care whose money they take. Green is the color they care about.
Actually, even in the 1920's the right of association was violated by Jim Crow laws that forced businesses not to serve certain demographic groups. Even back then the racists feared the consequences of a free market.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:24 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Quote:
A bill like this is a big win for freedom of association. Why should a business owner be FORCED to do business with someone they do not want to? The business is their property, not the "people's" or the "public's." Anyone who is against freedom of association is a rank statist at heart.
"Freedom of Association". Hmm, haven't heard that line since the early 60s when the southern segregationists were flogging that mantra.
Freedom of association meant that black families couldn't move into white suburbs due to covenants and restrictions on property ownership.
Freedom of Association meant the right to keep the school in the district all white.
Freedom of association was in reality the freedom NOT to associate and exclusion for a class or race.
Seems like the same old pig with fresh lipstick.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:26 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
That would be stupid, whogo, unless they wish to make itty bitty money.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:26 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Actually, even in the 1920's the right of association was violated by Jim Crow laws that forced businesses not to serve certain demographic groups. Even back then the racists feared the consequences of a free market.
Yeah but leftist statists do not comprehend that. See post #460.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies