Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 07:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I know that it is not given to a single person, I am almost positive that I said that in response to another post. But who is going to be the arbiter of what constitutes entertaining or pampering? What if the parent needs a haircut, or clothes- are you going to tell me that they are not supposed to 'indulge' themselves with those 'luxuries'? Maybe what you are missing here is that except for the horror stories you see on Fox News about welfare abuse, most people who get aid do little entertaining, for the most part their entire life is a struggle. And unless they have a kid under 5 by Federal law they are in job training or working.

I am sure there are people working the system, that happens. Heck, there are people out there collecting Grandma's Social Security long after she died. But why do you feel the need to dictate down to the penny how these people spend the few hundred dollars we give them because a very small percentage are not responsible or are cheats? And who is going to make these decisions?

I think it's about demonizing the poor, nothing more- and nothing less.
It was way more than that and even the liberal MSM sites were reporting where TANF ATM withdrawals were happening. So much so that Congress pass a law in 2012.\

California...2010
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct...lfare-20101004
Reporting from Sacramento — More than $69 million in California welfare money, meant to help the needy pay their rent and clothe their children, has been spent or withdrawn outside the state in recent years, including millions in Las Vegas, hundreds of thousands in Hawaii and thousands on cruise ships sailing from Miami.

State-issued aid cards have been used at hotels, shops, restaurants, ATMs and other places in 49 other states, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam, according to data obtained by The Times from the California Department of Social Services. Las Vegas drew $11.8 million of the cash benefits, far more than any other destination. The money was accessed from January 2007 through May 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 08:16 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It was way more than that and even the liberal MSM sites were reporting where TANF ATM withdrawals were happening. So much so that Congress pass a law in 2012.\

California...2010
$69 million in California welfare money drawn out of state - latimes
Reporting from Sacramento — More than $69 million in California welfare money, meant to help the needy pay their rent and clothe their children, has been spent or withdrawn outside the state in recent years, including millions in Las Vegas, hundreds of thousands in Hawaii and thousands on cruise ships sailing from Miami.

State-issued aid cards have been used at hotels, shops, restaurants, ATMs and other places in 49 other states, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam, according to data obtained by The Times from the California Department of Social Services. Las Vegas drew $11.8 million of the cash benefits, far more than any other destination. The money was accessed from January 2007 through May 2010.
Hmmmm given the time frame, the number of people involved, etc.....that doesnt sound as unreasonable as it is intended. California borders other states, Oregon for example has no sales tax-so of course people shop here.

Las Vegas at 11.8 million of it is a bit more fascinating. So 3 million a year in Las vegas. OK. out of how much?

I mean...whats the scale here?

Ahh...less then 1% according to the article.

of the 10.8 billion....
0.63% was spent out of state. I am surprised more wasn't spent in oregon then in las vegas.

16,010 was spent on cruises. That doesnt surprise me at all. someone is taken on a cruise by a family member.

Overall...other then the Las Vegas numbers, none of this seems surprising, and it represents a tiny fraction of the total spending.

How much was spent making, and enforcing this new law I wonder.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Hmmmm given the time frame, the number of people involved, etc.....that doesnt sound as unreasonable as it is intended. California borders other states, Oregon for example has no sales tax-so of course people shop here.

Las Vegas at 11.8 million of it is a bit more fascinating. So 3 million a year in Las vegas. OK. out of how much?

of the 10.8 billion....
0.63% was spent out of state. I am surprised more wasn't spent in oregon then in las vegas.

16,010 was spent on cruises. That doesnt surprise me at all. someone is taken on a cruise by a family member.

Overall...other then the Las Vegas numbers, none of this seems surprising, and it represents a tiny fraction of the total spending.

Many states changed their laws when Congress introduced the bill in 2012.
So that's 3 years for some states. I'm sure that information is in their budget reports if you go looking.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:13 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:

California...2010
$69 million in California welfare money drawn out of state - latimes

Let's put it in perspective. It was less than 1% of welfare grants during that period, and each county has a staff of welfare fraud investigators who do a pretty good job at stopping most fraud. I'm not sure why the outrage over what welfare recipients might be spending their small cash stipend on but not a peep out of anyone about farm subsidy fraud which is the most disgusting and abused form of welfare that there is, and a good number of our wonderful legislators will never agree to eliminate it because they are getting it.

What About Farm Subsidy Fraud? | EWG

Old 04-09-2015, 09:30 PM

232 posts, read 237,654 times
Kansas is a welfare state so maybe the US government needs to dictate how they spend the money they get from the US government? The DUMBEST thing about the new law is people pay their rent from their TANF....25$ is going to cause a lot of homeless folks.....Think Kansas needs to worry about their roads,schools that are closing early because they are out of money etc.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Let's put it in perspective. It was less than 1% of welfare grants during that period, and each county has a staff of welfare fraud investigators who do a pretty good job at stopping most fraud. I'm not sure why the outrage over what welfare recipients might be spending their small cash stipend on but not a peep out of anyone about farm subsidy fraud which is the most disgusting and abused form of welfare that there is, and a good number of our wonderful legislators will never agree to eliminate it because they are getting it.

What About Farm Subsidy Fraud? | EWG
Actually they weren't. It was the press that asked for the data and reported it to the general public.
Outrage is what caused rule changes in states and the move by Congress to author a bill.

Government needs to be accountable for our tax dollars.
I don't want waste and fraud impacting the truly needy. Get the scammers out of a system that is supposed to help poor families.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

of the 10.8 billion....

And it's not uncommon for recipients to turn their EBT card over to someone to pay for rent, particularly when the landlord is a homeowner renting out a bedroom and has no way to manage rent paid with a debit card.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
But to travel from let's say California to Reno just for a "nice meal" ?
Even that's a bit far fetched.
oh by they way, my comment might have made more sense if you saw an earlier post where I explained that I lived in Reno for a long time and worked with homeless women while I was there- so they weren't traveling to Reno for a nice meal they already lived there lol

Old 04-09-2015, 09:39 PM

The more money they can save from the scammers the more poor people they can serve.
All states have budgets with only so much money going towards TANF. You want to make sure the right people get this money.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
oh by they way, my comment might have made more sense if you saw an earlier post where I explained that I lived in Reno for a long time and worked with homeless women while I was there- so they weren't traveling to Reno for a nice meal they already lived there lol
And that would be in state money that would not have shown up in all those articles from back in 2011-2012 timeframe. It was mostly about out of state ATM withdrawals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies