Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 11:19 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
I'm sure Trapper was one of the ones who swore that Obama would get routed in 2012 because "People just aren't that stupid" .

No, I predicted Romney would lose because he was facing an incumbent and people really are that stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 11:42 AM

428 posts, read 344,403 times
A couple of thoughts.

. The people who got burned by Obamacare (those whose rates went radically up, like me. those who lost their policies) are already mad, so that's baked into the cake.
. Those who get free/highly subsidized plans aren't all Democrats, Early retirees is one group I can think of. They'll get mad as all get-out if their subsidy disappears. This is the brilliance of the politics of the thing.
. None of this solves the basic problem. US health care = $8500/person/year. Scarcely anyone can afford that or is willing to pay for it. The cost has to be hidden somehow.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:51 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
A couple of thoughts.

. The people who got burned by Obamacare (those whose rates went radically up, like me. those who lost their policies) are already mad, so that's baked into the cake.
. Those who get free/highly subsidized plans aren't all Democrats, Early retirees is one group I can think of. They'll get mad as all get-out if their subsidy disappears. This is the brilliance of the politics of the thing.
. None of this solves the basic problem. US health care = $8500/person/year. Scarcely anyone can afford that or is willing to pay for it. The cost has to be hidden somehow.
Sweep it under the rug?

The doctors can only charge what people can afford to pay. Health is more valuable than other services and will always demand higher prices, but not as high as they are now because of massive government subsidies. If we had a true national insurance program that could not run a deficit, the costs would drop.

Labor (doctor salaries) are just one component of cost. If we completely eliminated health insurance costs would be even lower. Most people spend more on cars than they do healthcare between 18 and 50.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
They will do for insurance what they did for housing with assistance. In Medicare and Medicaid they already showed they can not manage.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:24 PM

7,506 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
GOP governors that declined the ACA’s Medicaid expansion and opted against creating a state-based exchange to provide access to health insurance, relied instead on the federal exchange.

The Supreme Court’s decision in King v. Burwell, could eliminate federal subsidies for 34 states under the Affordable Care Acts which would cause to 9.6 million people to lose their health insurance.

This is a quagmire for these GOP governors, especially those who want to run for POTUS.

Scott Walker: If Supreme Court guts Obamacare subsidies, GOP governors will be under ‘incredible pressure’ - The Washington Post
I don't think you have as much support as your handlers tell you. It's a complete cluster for all but a small handful if people. Tail wagging the dog.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:17 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I don't think you have as much support as your handlers tell you. It's a complete cluster for all but a small handful if people. Tail wagging the dog.
The GOP governors were more than happy to take part in the federal subsidies and federal exchanges, when they did not have to, for something considered to be a "complete cluster." They wagged the dog by the tail.

If Supreme Court guts Obamacare subsidies, GOP governors will face political blowback-state-exchanges.jpg

Millions at risk of losing coverage as justices take up challenge to Obamacare - The Washington Post

Old 04-07-2015, 04:25 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
it wasn't awarded lie of the year by the washington post for nothing.

:d

Old 04-07-2015, 06:13 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
You lost your plan because of a provision of the law, not because of a lie. If Obama had said nothing, you still would have lost your plan, so no, you are the one who is incorrect.
Your idiot hero promised and lied through his teeth. He owns that abortion he got passed ergo he lied.

Deflect all you want, history will show HE LIED!!!

Old 04-07-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am blaming GOP governors for their bad decisions to make their states dependent on ACA subsidies. If the ACA was so bad, why did these GOP governors make the choice to make their state totally dependent on it?

Every governor had a choice to set up a state exchange and those governors that did are not at risk from any SCOTUS ruling. Those GOP governors that did not, for no reason except spite, are now begging for the SCOTUS not to rule against the ACA. Go figure!
And if the Dems hadn't foisted that abortion named after the idiot in the WH this discussion is moot. I live for the day this law dies a slow, painful death.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
No, I predicted Romney would lose because he was facing an incumbent and people really are that stupid.
True, they voted for an idiot........................twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies