Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 12:18 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,683,943 times

Advertisements

That's it. It's not as beneficial as its proponents make it out to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LGWovkyzEc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 12:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

Maybe if you drive a Volt or Leaf and work a 1/2 mile away.
Saving my family, with 3 drivers over $5000 a year. Especially now that it is spring time and the trips down to the farm, to make sure everything is OK, with the calves and the fences, along with waterlines to the water troughs.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:42 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

Gobble up every drop of that misinformation because the oil-rich United Arab Emirates is heavily banking on your efforts to stop fracking!

I betcha Promised Land starting Matt Damon has to be one of your favorite all time movies.

Quote:
A new film starring Matt Damon presents American oil and natural gas producers as money-grubbing villains purportedly poisoning rural American towns.
But it is true, it is true!

knowledgeiskey saw a movie about it and the evil capitalists pigs in the oil industry are out to destroy the land and the country!

Quote:
It is therefore of particular note that it is financed in part by the royal family of the oil-rich United Arab Emirates. …

While left-leaning Hollywood often targets supposed environmental evildoers, Promised Landwas also produced “in association with” Image Media Abu Dhabi, a subsidiary of Abu Dhabi Media, according to the preview’s list of credits. A studio spokesperson confirmed that AD Media is financing the film. The company is wholly owned by the government of the UAE.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:48 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,531,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Gobble up every drop of that misinformation because the oil-rich United Arab Emirates is heavily banking on your efforts to stop fracking!

I betcha Promised Land starting Matt Damon has to be one of your favorite all time movies.

But it is true, it is true!

knowledgeiskey saw a movie about it and the evil capitalists pigs in the oil industry are out to destroy the land and the country!
From Brookings to a Matt Damon movie. This has to go down as one of the sharpest deflections in history.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:22 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
That's 150 times more savings than Obamacare wrought on the American family. Not so ironically, Obama is trying to kill the fracking industry...which saves us money...and is sticking it to American's through increased insurance costs. Democrats are really, really confused people. Their ideology beyond putrid.

Obamacare Will Increase Health Spending By $7,450 For A Typical Family of Four - Forbes

Old 04-07-2015, 01:22 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
So I work directly with the Fracking industry, and (for the record), I'm not fully against Fracking. I think there is a risk with it, as there is with anything, but if done right, it 'should' be safe. That being said, it's not the subject of this post, I'm just trying to frame my perspective.

But Fracking is a VERY SMALL part of why our oil prices are down so much. The main reason is SLIGHTLY decreased demand paired with a Saudi position that they will not play the role of market equilizer. EG: Their refusal in November to cut production to match demand is the reason for the oil glut. They are holding their market share, knowing they can outlast many of the other producers.

Also, it is important to know that Fracking is NOT a new technology. Fracking for Natural gas has recently become cost effective, as the price per Barrel of Oil has increased Thus much supply came online, but with the decrease, much of it is once again not economically sustainable. Companies with deep pockets can wait it out, and there will eventually be a demand for it again. The point is that Fracking has been around for a long time. It has been used in the Permian Basin (W. Texas) for oil for a long time. Recently it is being used more for gas in Marcellus and Bakken and other Shale Plays, that's the "new" found supplies.

All this rambling (sorry) to say that the reduced price, and therefore the savings that you, as a consumer sees, is only PARTLY due to Fracking, and much more a result of market conditions, some of which are real, and some of which are created by the Saudi's, and some of which are created by over-reactive markets and futures trading.

At the end of the day, I don't love it, but I do love my car, and I'm not willing to give it up, so I try to be reasonable, and have to accept Fracking as the price for my lifestyle. Not so popular with many of my "Lib" friends. :-)

Old 04-07-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That's 150 times more savings than Obamacare wrought on the American family.
There is no way to prove what healthcare would have cost without ObamaCare. All you can do is look at the trends and forecast what it "might have been". If you do that, you'll find that we were trending for much higher costs. So while healthcare costs continue to rise, they are rising at a lower rate than they were for many years before ACA kicked in. Based on that stat (which is admittedly only one data point), you would be wrong with your statement. ACA has yielded us more savings than Fracking according to available evidence.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:28 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
There is no way to prove what healthcare would have cost without ObamaCare. All you can do is look at the trends and forecast what it "might have been". If you do that, you'll find that we were trending for much higher costs. So while healthcare costs continue to rise, they are rising at a lower rate than they were for many years before ACA kicked in. Based on that stat (which is admittedly only one data point), you would be wrong with your statement. ACA has yielded us more savings than Fracking according to available evidence.
Absolutely incorrect. Read the link I provided. If you find contradicting information, post it.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:57 PM

This is off topic (I should have never responded), but since you asked, I'll post something from your own link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Absolutely incorrect. Read the link I provided. If you find contradicting information, post it.
The OP article is talking about current savings from fracking, and you stated that ObamaCare is saving 150x less. The article states, and I quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Article
As it turns out, the average family of 4 has only had to face a relatively modest burden from Obamacare over the past four years—a little over $125.

So if you want to compare apples to apples, current savings to current savings, then you are incorrect. Actually, your own source says that in the past four years it has saved 125 times as much as you stated.

As for future savings or costs:

1. The article can only predict. You can't state the future as fact, and more to the point
2. It ignores what would have happened without ACA. There is NO WAY to prove something that never happened. Heck, for all we know, it could have been even WORSE than I or you are saying, but we can't state any of it as fact. That trend was not allowed to play out.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:46 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Repugs pushing affordable energy solutions save me money. Demcraps pushing Obotcare cost me money.

Easy choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies