Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG706 View Post
I cannot believe some of the things I have read on this thread. Anyone who is FOR fracking is an ignorant fool!!
Specifically, not hysterics, what are your concerns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Benzene has been found in many peoples wells
Reference?

Quote:
Houses have blown up from the methane being produced.
The areas where methane have occurred have always had methane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9CfUm0QeOk

Quote:
they give you pennies on the dollar.
The royalty percentages vary but for doing nothing people are making substantial money.

Quote:
Common sense must prevail....injecting toxic chemicals into the earth will NEVER be safe!
Oxygen is toxic with enough concentration. What part of this process, chemicals and concentrations are you concerned about?

Old 05-11-2015, 09:17 AM

58 posts, read 40,196 times
We were possibly going to move to Ohio...I have done ALOT of researching on the internet. You are welcome to do the same. I do not think we will make the move because of fracking and injection wells in Ohio. State-by-State: Underground Injection Wells this is one of the resources I found you can click on the states and it will educate you on the wells, violations, and classes of wells being created.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:23 AM

I understand the process pretty well. They use millions of gallons of water mixing with "proprietary" chemicals to drive out the gas. Then the toxic water is collected and taken to a class II injection well and is injected into the well for disposal. What part of this sounds like a good idea? Would you want to live next to it?

Old 05-11-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
We were possibly going to move to Ohio...I have done ALOT of researching on the internet. You are welcome to do the same. I do not think we will make the move because of fracking and injection wells in Ohio. State-by-State: Underground Injection Wells this is one of the resources I found you can click on the states and it will educate you on the wells, violations, and classes of wells being created.
I'm asking you for specifics, not hysteric generalities. You mentioned benzene, is this a specific concern of yours and can you provide one reference as to why?

Old 05-11-2015, 09:40 AM

Many wells near fracking sites end up with unacceptable levels of benzene. I do not want to post a bunch of links. You are welcome to go look for yourself.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:49 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Many wells near fracking sites end up with unacceptable levels of benzene. I do not want to post a bunch of links. You are welcome to go look for yourself.
What is an unacceptable level?

Old 05-11-2015, 09:52 AM

Seriously??? The tests and reports say "unacceptable levels of Benzene". I would like proof it is safe. Haven't heard any of that. Citizens should not have to prove something in their neighborhood is unsafe. The companies and government should have prove it is safe. Which they can not prove.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:56 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,903 times
Quote:
I cannot believe some of the things I have read on this thread. Anyone who is FOR fracking is an ignorant fool! Those of you for fracking need to do your research and then go live right in the middle of it. NO money savings is worth giving up clean water, soil, or air. The government doesn't care if most of us get cancer and die from the water we drink. They collect Social Security money for your whole life, hoping you DIE before you get to collect! We are in the throws of water shortages and drought everywhere...They are pumping millions of gallons of water into the earth contaminated with chemicals to break the shale, which by the way then the toxic cocktail is injected back into the earth to be disposed of...... HOW could that ever be considered safe or a good use of precious resources???? Really disgusting...I am appalled at the ignorance and stupidity of Americans today!
What a collection of monumental idiocy though I have to admit I enjoy reading "foaming at the mouth" lunacy.

Federal government studies have shown that fracking does not contaminate water supplies. There is not one recordable incident and fracking has been going on for 50 years.

Even so, the anti-energy zealots continue to pump out bogus propaganda that the gullible swallow whole even though it has repeatedly been shown to be a pack of lies.

When it comes to stupidity and ignorance the people that by this stuff have no equal.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:57 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What is an unacceptable level?
CDC - Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health Concentrations (IDLH): Benzene - NIOSH Publications and Products

There are several ways of measuring dangerous concentrations. The first is the average over time, the second is short term exposure. There are others.

.1 part per million (time weighted average)
1 ppm (short term exposure limit)

Benezene is a long- known carcinogen. Enough direct exposure can also cause heart failure and/or blindness. At 50ppm, a person has about an hour of life left unless treated. 2ppm is lethal over a 24 hour period.

The stuff is used in lighter fluid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies