Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 10:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Links please.
Not going to happen. This is one of those overblown stories that morphs into it's own life. The original story is they were finding high concentrations of benzene in fracking fluid(not in peoples wells) when they tested it at some locations in California. You won't find the whole story on these numerous environmental sites. The source of the benzene was neither the well or the driller. They were using water from aquifers located near oil and gas formations that was already naturally contaminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 02:52 PM

58 posts, read 40,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Not going to happen. This is one of those overblown stories that morphs into it's own life. The original story is they were finding high concentrations of benzene in fracking fluid(not in peoples wells) when they tested it at some locations in California. You won't find the whole story on these numerous environmental sites. The source of the benzene was neither the well or the driller. They were using water from aquifers located near oil and gas formations that was already naturally contaminated.
REALLY?
EPA Connects 'Fracking' To Water Contamination : NPR
I didn't have to look very hard first page. You could have done the same.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:54 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,398,085 times
Where I live the fracking has come to a halt. If anything its hurt the local economy

Old 05-13-2015, 11:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG706 View Post
REALLY?
This article is four years old.

This is ONE very small community (21 households) in a very isolated area, out of literally tens of thousands (maybe even hundreds of thousands) of communities nationwide near areas where hydraulic fracturing has been going on, sometimes going on for decades. The EPA has never, ONE TIME, found that water supplies are actually contaminated by fracking.

From the article you gave the link to:
Quote:
The EPA has yet to find those synthetic chemicals or benzene in private or public drinking wells.
Do you have any idea how many people have tried to sue big oil and gas companies by stating that they think fracking has contaminated their water supply? Do you have any idea how often state and federal entities come out, test their water, and find that the water is absolutely fine? Big oil and gas companies are very big targets and it's a very common practice for people to try to bring all sorts of lawsuits against them, and there are plenty of big, powerful environmental groups who are more than willing to help them. The cases simply aren't successful except in the tiniest percentage of cases, because the problem simply isn't there.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:24 AM

So because it is a small community, it is OK to poison their water? Doesn't matter how old the article is. I think the article made it pretty clear the well is contaminated from fracking waste. Their are more cases if you look. This is only one article I chose quickly, I do not like posting links. I would prefer people do their own research. I would try and sue them as well...people's communities have been RUINED! I am sure the protesters trying to stop the oil companies from destroying where they live and own property do not feel that they are getting much "help" from anyone.

Last edited by GG706; 05-14-2015 at 04:44 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 05:10 AM

Quote:
REALLY?
The EPA abandoned their study becsue it was flawed.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
So because it is a small community, it is OK to poison their water? Doesn't matter how old the article is. I think the article made it pretty clear the well is contaminated from fracking waste. Their are more cases if you look. This is only one article I chose quickly, I do not like posting links. I would prefer people do their own research. I would try and sue them as well...people's communities have been RUINED! I am sure the protesters trying to stop the oil companies from destroying where they live and own property do not feel that they are getting much "help" from anyone.
You missed my point so I'll clarify:

The number of cases in which water has been proven to be contaminated is very, very small - in spite of the large number of lawsuits and allegations, regulations, testing done by all sorts of groups, etc.

Of course it's never "OK" which is why the fines and other ramifications to any company which makes a mistake which causes any contamination are very hefty.

Human error is always with us. I've never said that there is zero risk to fracking. What I have said is that the risks are far outweighed by the benefits, and that when it comes to energy sources, there are no sources yet on the market which can deliver the energy we need with the low risks that oil and gas offer.

By the way, if you're going to participate effectively on this forum, you need to get over this weird hangup about posting links. Posting links is not only allowed on this forum, it is encouraged because it supports your assertions and keeps people from thinking you're pulling stuff out of your arse.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Of course it's never "OK" which is why the fines and other ramifications to any company which makes a mistake which causes any contamination are very hefty.
In this case the gas wells are very shallow which obviously is more likely to lead to contamination however the well water is also susceptible to natural contamination.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
In this case the gas wells are very shallow which obviously is more likely to lead to contamination however the well water is also susceptible to natural contamination.
Right.

My point was just that on occasion, human error comes into play and I don't take the position that NO water has EVER been even SLIGHTLY contaminated due to oil and gas activities. But it is very rare for very good reasons - including that the fines and penalties and other ramifications are so high.

Another thing the OP (and others of this ilk) don't seem to think about is that the oil and gas workers care about their own health and that of their families. They know what materials they're working with and what the possible health effects are. Safety is a HUGE element in the oil and gas industry.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:32 AM

Interesting how you all demand a link to prove contamination, then when you are given one that proves contamination you pick and choose certain things to comment on and attempt to completely dismiss that the unfortunate fact is that water IS being contaminated. The fact we NEED fossil fuels is garbage! PEOPLE NEED to change our wasteful, gluttonous society. We have plenty of technology to get us off a lot of fossil fuels, but the GAS AND OIL COMPANIES won't ALLOW it! Everyone seems to have the attitude "as long as it doesn't affect me". And that is really sad because a lot of people are having their lives and their children's lives very much affected and ruined because of all this. I would hate to be a property owner and have a class II well put in near my home! Those of you who are for it need to go purchase property near all of this, put your money and your lives where your mouth is......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies