Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 10:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,493,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Spanish is the official language of Puerto Rico, however, despite this fact,
Puerto Ricans who do not speak English have been receiving Social Security
Disability payments.
Feds giving Puerto Ricans disability benefits because they speak Spanish | Fox News
So? There are some Americans who don't speak English. Is speaking English a prerequisite to receiving benefits?

[if so, could have fooled me]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 11:58 PM

268 posts, read 241,446 times
Lets give Puerto Rico independence and rid ourselves of this dead wight.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:29 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,598,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What is worse is that we have naturalized citizens claiming not to be able to speak English to these judges at their hearings.

And yet they had to speak English to become naturalized citizens.
Not true, for many American territories.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:21 AM

22,488 posts, read 12,039,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yes, it has, and it has to do with the rampant xenophobia, bigotry against Puerto Ricans among the "common folk" in the GOP, but it was mostly that Ron and Rand Paul are complete frauds, and everyone connected to them like Alex Jones. but, that's a side issue

I didn't mean literally next to my grandfather, even though he is white, had to fight in the 65th Infantry Regiment, which all Puerto Rican Army soldiers had to be in. Considering that there are posters on C-D who don't even regard Spaniards as real Europeans, it doesn't surprise me one bit.

And how do you know that these throngs of people that you claim are against Puerto Ricans are all republicans? Did you ask them all? I grew up in a very blue state and believe me, plenty of democrats were bigoted towards PRs.

You seem to be a very angry person as is evidenced in all your CD postings. I have to wonder why you have such a huge chip on your shoulder.

My father grew up in NYC and as a teen, he went looking for part-time work. Yet many places took one look at him and said "We don't hire Puerto Ricans." Instead of being bitter and angry, he just persisted until he found a job.

There are plenty of racist and bigoted people out there. I've encountered them, too. In fact, I've experienced more bigotry from Hispanics than I have from non-Hispanics. I don't waste energy carrying around anger about it. I just see those people for what they are---ignorant--- and don't have anything more to do with them.

Yes, the 65th Infantry has served in many wars and has been decorated. Maybe you should google them. There are sites about the "Borinqueneers". Maybe you'll even see a photo of your grandfather.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:49 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,283,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I agree. They are nothing but a burden to us.

you can say the same thing about 50% of the population in the U.S.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Reading some of the responses from right-wingers on here, it's clear that every single American who is a Spanish speaker, or Hispanic, should vote for the Democratic Party. It's clear that, despite the GOP establishment wants to embrace PR as the 51st state, the rank-and-file GOP voter does not. People like Rubio and Cruz are just tokens who speak "white" to not scare xenophobic Republican voters. To me, this is the same as talking behind someone's back. Not acceptable

Why do wingnuts miss that? Because they have very selective vision, they see only what they want to see.

No more federal funding for poor whites who have their teeth missing from meth in the South

Blame the GOP. You guys added us to the US, and resisted our attempts to be independent. Hell, we were made a full province of Spain in 1898, but you Republicans under President McKinley had to grease those rifles of yours didn't you? We wanted to be left alone or be part of Spain, but you put down every single act of rebellion against US rule, and we grew used to the US ruling us. Now we are comfortable, you want us to leave. Sorry, doesn't work that way. How telling, as well, that the GOP's official stance on Puerto Rico is make us into the 51st state. By the way, why don't you complain about Spanish being the official language of New Mexico?

1)Please, I'm half Puerto Rican and I'm a conservative.....these fools don't speak for me and the Republican Party and they are entitled to their opinion. Just like the fools in the democrat party like Al Sharpton and every ignorant liberal don't speak for all Democrats.

2) Stop, the Puerto Rican people ALWAYS have rejected independence since becoming a U.S. TERRITORY......And Puerto Rico being a full province of SPAIN???? BHAAAAAA!!! Provinces are not given away as Peace treaties to other countries. P.R. was always a COLONY under Spain until the last day. Just read "La Carta Autonoma of 1897" a year before the Americans took over Puerto Rico.....it says the King of Spain is the ultimate ruler and it mentions Puerto Rico as "LA COLONIA" (THE COLONY) many times in the declaration from the King. That's why Spain gave Puerto Rico away after the a$$ kicking they got by the Americans. It had NO longer value to Spain, they already took all the gold and exploited the island for 400 years.

3) Your history and hatred against the Republican Party are confusing you. What has hurt Puerto Rico and every city in the U.S. with latinos are the liberal social engineering of the Democrat Party of a big welfare state, big government and poor public education.......you can blame the Democrat Party for that.

4) Social Security system is a bad system and this news doesn't surprises me......its the Republican Party who wants to reform S.S. and give the choice to the workers to have their own private accounts for better control and better return....its the Democrat party that refuses any reform to a bad system......just like public education.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-09-2015 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: bypassing profanity filter

Old 04-08-2015, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
The US took PR against their will and restructured their economy in a way that made it exceedingly difficult for Puerto Rico to function as an independent entity. It's your fault they're a burden to you.

The US has an illustrious history of invading countries willy-nilly and then cutting them loose when things get costly, and then they have the nerve to be upset when people from these countries turn into millitants and terrorists.

Why should they be forced to learn English? Puerto Rico doesn't border ANY English speaking territories, and of those Puerto Ricans who decided to move to the states, most of them can speak English once they get to the mainland. Furthermore, they never asked to be part of the US anyway.

1) what????? the majority of Puerto Ricans in the island NEVER have rejected being a U.S. territory. Since U.S. Citizenship was granted by congress in 1917, 99% have NEVER renounce their U.S. Citizenship or burn their U.S. passports......I can count with 2 hands the numbers of Puerto Ricans who tried to renounced their U.S. citizenship and most of them are DEAD (natural causes)

2) You can't use the lame excuse that is being force on them.......if I extend my hand with a $100 bill with benefits and you take it and use it and benefit from it , that is NOT a force act. A force act is making you take something against your will and do something by force that has a negative effect on you.............now be honest, if you compare Puerto Rico to the neighbors in the Caribbean of Dominican Republic, Haiti, Cuba and even Venezuela with all their oil, you think Puerto Rico is getting a bad deal being a U.S. territory and they are being force? come one, you know better than that!

3) Actually nobody should be force to speak a particular language that is against the principles of the U.S. Constitution.....its in the best interest of any U.S. Citizen to dominate the English language and another language. In this GLOBAL economy its a must and it helps for job opportunities.......the problem in P.R. is the Public School system just like the inner cities in the U.S with kids not learning proper English and Math, one of many failed liberal policies........the people in PUERTO RICO that get a proper English education are the upper class that send their kids to private schools in the island. Those are the ones with the good jobs. The ones that don't have the money are stuck in the lousy public school system......that's not a U.S. Federal problem, that's a local problem.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:46 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,029,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, the OIG report said so.

And now SS is going to make a rule change regarding this.

http://oig.ssa.gov/sites/default/fil...ry%2013062.pdf

Good. I work for ODAR (part of SSA, dealing with disability) and the Medical-Vocational Guidelines have not changed since I started in 1988 (I believe they were first implemented in the 1970s).

Here is a link to the actual Guidelines:

Code of Federal Regulations, Part 404, Subpart P, Appendix 2

Note that Rule 201.17 (capable of sedentary work) provides for the claimant being 'illiterate or unable to communicate in English'. If the administrative law judge finds that said claimant is both illiterate and unable to communicate in English, then the judge must obtain 'vocational expert' testimony.

One other problem: note that under the sedentary rules, there is no rule addressing a person aged 45-49, having a high school education, and having 'unskilled' past work, although there are rules for semiskilled or skilled work, with transferable, or no transferable, work skills. It was a mistake, and 40 years later, it has not been corrected.

For the casual reader: the Rules rarely 'directly' apply to a particular case. If the claimant has any 'non-exertional' limitations (depression, vision, seizures, etc), then the Rules cannot be directly used to find said claimant disabled or not disabled, but VE testimony must be obtained.

Unless: the claimant is limited to sedentary work and also has non-exertional limitations. If the Rule says 'disabled' even IF said claimant could perform a full range of sedentary work, then he/she will be found disabled. As I instruct newbies: You can't go behind the Rule.

Meaning, we used to have judges who, displeased with the thought of the Rule directing a finding of 'disabled' for a particular person, would find a 'non-exertional' limitation, proclaim the Rule does not apply, and get a VE to name jobs the person could perform. The Agency put a stop to that.

Most of the judges I work for, if faced with a person limited to Spanish, will often find that said person can do their past work (step four of the five step evaluation process) and so avoid the 'language' problem at the fifth step.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:42 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,118,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Terms like 'xenophobia' and racism/bigotry are thrown around when people have no other argument.

I am an American that supports Puerto Rican independence. No, they don't need to speak English. I don't care if they ever utter another English word in Puerto Rico. They also don't need any more of our federal money.

Go off and be free Puerto Rico! God Speed!

That's xenophobia? LOL!

Isn't that what the fake Puerto Rican Nationalists here in the States want?
That's not how things work in the real world. The real world runs on facts and not emotion.

First of all, Puerto Rican independence is very bad for our geopolitical standing. It would be a major propaganda coup for our enemies, especially Latin America's leftist dictators like Castro and Maduro. Puerto Rico would immediately become another Cuba or Venezuela ... is this really worth saving a few cents? Nations have intrests, and getting rid of Puerto Rico is not in our interests especially as tensions are flaring in Latin America.

Second of all, how does the United States surrender sovereignty over 3.5 million of it's own people? There's no constitutional mechanism for this.

Thirdly, if Puerto Rico did become independent it is safe to say that virtually the entire population would flee to the US creating a humanitarian crisis. How would we absorb these millions of people?

Lastly, Puerto Rican nationalist does not equal Puerto Rican separatist. They are two different things. For instance, the Partido Popular Democratico which supports the existing territorial status is a Puerto Rican nationalist party ... however, it is also simultaneously an American federalist/Puerto Rican unionist party.

The cost of maintaining Puerto Rico is peanuts, a drop in the bucket.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:42 AM

I have to laugh at the selective rules people make here.......any U.S. CITIZEN that get federal aid and don't pay federal income tax should not be part of the U.S.,,,,,UNLESS you are an "AMERICAN" (I don't know the definition but I'm guessing WHITE)..

if we go by these rules, half of the nation including companies wouldn't be part of the U.S.

by the way, the U.S. government collects taxes in P.R....they just use different kind of taxes and hidden tariffs on products and services sold in the island........The feds always finds ways to collect money even in their territories, always have and always will.......so to complain about the federal aid to P.R. is silly when most of the business in P.R. and products are American and all products sold in the island comes from the U.S. ports which the federal government gets a piece of the action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies