Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:01 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Really, so you can justify people who don't contribute but live on welfare?

If that's what you believe then by the same token people should only be able to get out of any government program what they put into it. That would get rid of the dead beats welfare problem.
what in the world are you talking about and how is it even relevant to what I posted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 10:02 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
If you raise the income then you also have to raise what you give back in return... otherwise that is stealing... do you want to pay them more? That is not going to solve the solvency issue unless you are asking for theft...
I never suggested otherwise, did I?

Time to raise - or scrap - the Social Security payroll tax cap | Reuters

Old 04-15-2015, 10:24 AM

428 posts, read 344,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wow. No.

Most people retiring currently LOSE money on SS.

Social Security is a LOSING deal for most workers - AP
That crossover point is just now being reached, so far as I can tell. It's possible to find ROI estimates that are all over the map depending on the precalculated bias of the analyst of course.

At this point in time (as I said), most SS is being paid at a premium to what you would expect as an ROI from an inflation corrected, risk free investment. Should that additional payment be means tested? You can make that argument.

In 20 years, you'll be right of course as the aggregate of payments falls in the lap of those retiring in 2015.

As a side note, this type of annuity is an area where gender and racial disparities favor certain groups, although you don't hear much about it. My guess is that white (or Asian) women receive more than their share, and black men much less.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
That crossover point is just now being reached, so far as I can tell. It's possible to find ROI estimates that are all over the map depending on the precalculated bias of the analyst of course.

At this point in time (as I said), most SS is being paid at a premium to what you would expect as an ROI from an inflation corrected, risk free investment. Should that additional payment be means tested? You can make that argument.

In 20 years, you'll be right of course as the aggregate of payments falls in the lap of those retiring in 2015.

As a side note, this type of annuity is an area where gender and racial disparities favor certain groups, although you don't hear much about it. My guess is that white (or Asian) women receive more than their share, and black men much less.
The crossover point was 2010 for those turning 65 that year.
They will have paid in more than they are projected to receive.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
And you will see a proliferation of FICA alternative jobs set up under 401a and/or 403b.
They exist today and will explode should Christie get his way.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:00 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
so you want to turn SS into an 'entitlement program'

"I",? "me",? BentBow??? LOL!!!

I believe the year you are looking for is 1913, the year my grandmother was born, god rest her soul.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:16 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. Not everyone owns their home. Many people go through life renting, and rent increases over time.

Ok, can you pay rent making $80,000 a year?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:33 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ok, can you pay rent making $80,000 a year?
People are paying rent on minimum wage, about 15K a year.

Old people have this thing called medical issues though, that tend to get pretty expensive.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:27 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,402,677 times
Quote:
If you raised the maximum income on which Social Security is taxed the system would be solvent for a very, very long time. In 2015 income up to 118k is subject to SS tax, I see absolutely no way to justify that, everything you earn should be subject to SS tax, just like your income is (theoretically) subject to income tax.
Social Security cannot be insolvent.

Social Security uses U.S. dollars. The United States government issues U.S. dollars ad hoc, by spending. The idea that the United States government can somehow run short of dollars to pay for Social Security is a horrific, BLATANT LIE. How on earth can a country that issues its own fiat currency, run short of that currency?

Quote:
Wow. No.

Most people retiring currently LOSE money on SS.
Social Security is not an investment. Social Security is insurance. You do not earn a return on Social Security. I bet you think most workers "lose money" on unemployment as well.

Quote:
No, we should NOT raise the payroll tax cap. We should eliminate FICA immediately. FICA is regressive, unnecessary tax based on accounting fiction.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:44 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
At this point in time (as I said), most SS is being paid at a premium to what you would expect as an ROI from an inflation corrected, risk free investment.
No, it isn't. The AP article I posted clearly explains that it isn't. Only low-income earners get more in SS benefits than they've paid in SS tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies