Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think America's culture is anti-male?
Yes 45 47.37%
No 50 52.63%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 11:04 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times

Advertisements

Why does America have such an anti-male culture? From all aspects of American culture including politics, men seem to be vilified as some evil gender always trying to oppress or harm women. Our culture perpetuates stereotypes that it's always the male's fault and women can do no wrong. It's always about what men can do to help women rather than helping and uplifting each other. There are so many examples.

1. Men are automatically assumed to be sexual predators until proven innocent. (ex. If an adult women talks to a kid that's not hers, no one really freaks out but when an adult male talks to a kid that's not his, most people will assume he's a child predator).

2. No strong empathize on fatherhood(especially in the Black community).

3. Men aren't given equal treatment when it comes to criminal law, divorce cases, and the military.

4. Media/politics spreading propaganda of a "war on women" that doesn't even exist.

5. Men are collectively viewed as being robots incapable of feeling emotions therefore can not be emotionally damaged. Women can say almost anything they want to a male and society expects the guy to just take it but if a male verbally upsets a female, he will be instantly vilified or seen as a bad guy.

6. Always a strong emphasis on female issues rather than male issues. Even the most popular American sport(NFL football) puts a stronger emphasis on female health concerns such as breast cancer, despite that fact that the overwhelming majority of its fans are male.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:09 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,010,807 times
man up gwilly

Old 04-14-2015, 11:11 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,402,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Why does America have such an anti-male culture? From all aspects of American culture including politics, men seem to be vilified as some evil gender always trying to oppress or harm women. Our culture perpetuates stereotypes that it's always the male's fault and women can do no wrong. It's always about what men can do to help women rather than helping and uplifting each other. There are so many examples.
America does NOT have an anti-male culture. Possibly an anti-black male culture. America is a country built for White, Christian, heterosexual males.

Quote:
1. Men are automatically assumed to be sexual predators until proven innocent. (ex. If an adult women talks to a kid that's not hers, no one really freaks out but when an adult male talks to a kid that's not his, most people will assume he's a child predator).
No, they are not. More often than not, rapists get the benefit of the doubt over the victim.

Quote:
2. No strong empathize on fatherhood(especially in the Black community).
So what? There are lots of deadbeat fathers. There are also a lot of good fathers.

Quote:
3. Men aren't given equal treatment when it comes to criminal law, divorce cases, and the military.
Is this a joke?!?!

Quote:
4. Media/politics spreading propaganda of a "war on women" that doesn't even exist.
It does exist. Look at how much of an issue Hillary's Presidency is having, over 1.5 years before it begins.

Quote:
5. Men are collectively viewed as being robots incapable of feeling emotions therefore can not be emotionally damaged. Women can say almost anything they want to a male and society expects the guy to just take it but if a male verbally upsets a female, he will be instantly vilified or seen as a bad guy.
Yes, men are expected to have enough of a spine to not go cry in a hole over verbal assaults from women. Get over it.

Quote:
6. Always a strong emphasis on female issues rather than male issues. Even the most popular American sport(NFL football) puts a stronger emphasis on female health concerns such as breast cancer, despite that fact that the overwhelming majority of its fans are male.
Females have issues that have been neglected by men for centuries due to a male-dominated society. Go write the NFL about breast cancer preference. You will fall on deaf ears.

Your post reeks of complainy-pants. It is something I would expect to see on the O'Reilly factor. I suggest laying off the Fox News for a while. This is a male-dominated world. It's about time women started leveling the playing field.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:12 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,611 times
Why? You mean besides the fact that we are better faster and more successful than any other group? Haters gunna hate as the saying goes.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
man up gwilly
Man up to what?

Old 04-14-2015, 11:21 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,611 times
Quote:
Man up to what?
To people who undervalue you as a male. Or are you the sensitive type who needs everyone to like and support you?

Old 04-14-2015, 11:25 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Is this a joke?!?!
I don't think he's joking.

I dunno. Men tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to their rights as fathers in a divorce situation involving children. On the other hand there's a reason things got that way. Men tend to give up in custody battles because they lack the mothering instinct / bond nor can they compete with it if the woman chooses to use it as a weapon against them -- not just because the decks are stacked against them legally and socially. It can be argued that men get the kids every other weekend instead of 50/50 because they allowed it to get that way in an environment in which they otherwise had all the power. It can also be argued that women have had a tendency to use what little power they have historically had to compensate for male hegemony in all other areas, and child custody is one such fulcrum.

Mostly, speaking even as a white heterosexual male, who managed to get full physical custody of his kids on account of his first wife being (1) nuts and (2) completely disinterested in custody, I have to say that men are basically whiners when it comes to these things, when you look at the big picture. And in fighting for equal rights in these areas when it basically falls into their laps in all other areas, I say they sort of ought to have to fight for SOMETHING when it comes to inter-gender issues. The rest is pretty much given to us almost as if by divine right.

This doesn't make a woman being underhanded or subverting respect for the father with her children right, nor does it make it right for any woman with a heartbeat and the ability to show up for a court date to automatically get nearly full custody of her children with no consideration of the father's interest or ability. But neither does it make it right for there to be some kind of movement to restore the rights of downtrodden men, because there are almost NO downtrodden men, trust me. It's just easy to feel that way from a position of accustomed privilege when, in a specific area, you find the system suddenly not with you.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:25 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,402,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
To people who undervalue you as a male. Or are you the sensitive type who needs everyone to like and support you?
I think I might agree with the conservatives on this one.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
America does NOT have an anti-male culture. Possibly an anti-black male culture. America is a country built for White, Christian, heterosexual males.
I didn't know White, Christian, heterosexual males represented the entire male gender? If only a certain segment of the male gender had privileged, you can't say that the entire male gender had historically oppressed the female gender. It's a slap in the face to the men who were oppressed as well. Your problems are with White males, not the entire male gender.

Quote:
No, they are not. More often than not, rapists get the benefit of the doubt over the victim.
That's certainly not true and people will certainly be more concerned if they see a male talking to a child vs a female talking to a child. Whether you acknowledge it or not, men more likely to be viewed as child predators before they are even proven guilty.

Quote:
So what? There are lots of deadbeat fathers. There are also a lot of good fathers.
That doesn't really address what I wrote.

Quote:
Is this a joke?!?!
I wish it was but sadly it's far from it.

Quote:
It does exist. Look at how much of an issue Hillary's Presidency is having, over 1.5 years before it begins.
Well judging by her controversial political history, are you really that surprise? Just because she happens to be a woman doesn't mean she is immune from criticism as a politician. Saying people are only criticizing her because she is a woman is an weak argument.

Quote:
Yes, men are expected to have enough of a spine to not go cry in a hole over verbal assaults from women. Get over it.
So it's okay for females to verbally abuse men but men certainly cannot verbally abuse women. You keep proving my point.

Quote:
Females have issues that have been neglected by men for centuries due to a male-dominated society.
So now it's payback?

Quote:
Your post reeks of complainy-pants. It is something I would expect to see on the O'Reilly factor. I suggest laying off the Fox News for a while. This is a male-dominated world. It's about time women started leveling the playing field.
So if a male complains about the issues in society he's a punk or a wimp but if a women complains about the issues in society she's courageous and brave. So much double standards.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 04-14-2015 at 11:55 AM..

Old 04-14-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't think he's joking.
It's certainly not a joke.

Quote:
It's just easy to feel that way from a position of accustomed privilege when, in a specific area, you find the system suddenly not with you.
The American patriarchal culture has never historically benefited all men. Only White, heterosexual, Christian males. So please stop trying to perpetuate this myth that all men had the same privilege.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies