Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 11:56 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
To discuss why he wanted it censored. I guess if you are a celebrity fat cat it becomes ok to get something like that censored.
But you said I was going around in circles. Sorry, confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 11:59 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
To discuss why he wanted it censored. I guess if you are a celebrity fat cat it becomes ok to get something like that censored.

Why should he be forced to discuss something that he had no control over that happened a hundred years before he was even a thought let alone a twinkle in someone's eye?
There is no discussion to be had, he is not responsible for what his ancestor's chose and he should not have to explain nor defend any of it.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:20 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why should he be forced to discuss something that he had no control over that happened a hundred years before he was even a thought let alone a twinkle in someone's eye?
There is no discussion to be had, he is not responsible for what his ancestor's chose and he should not have to explain nor defend any of it.
Well, obviously (along with Affleck) Henry Louis Gates, the producers at PBS, and Sony all had a problem with it. You know, the people who make the show.

I have a very liberal friend find out recently that his family figured prominently in The Crusades 1000 years ago. He was clearly upset at the discovery. Liberals can be such tools when it comes to this type of stuff.

Me? I'm descended from Irish horse thieves and the pirate Jean Lafitte, I think it's hilarious. Of course, I am not a liberal so I guess that helps.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:23 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
One side of my family immigrated from Germany, the other side are Cherokee.
I wonder how much land I can get back that was stolen from my Cherokee ancestors.

I don't get upset over things that cannot be changed, that I did not do and I refuse to defend myself for the actions of others.
Hence the reason I don't understand why his wanting that part taken out is an issue, he did not do it and is not responsible and honestly I don't see a reason to be upset over it.

Your friend really got upset?

Old 04-18-2015, 12:27 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Well, obviously (along with Affleck) Henry Louis Gates, the producers at PBS, and Sony all had a problem with it. You know, the people who make the show.

I have a very liberal friend find out recently that his family figured prominently in The Crusades 1000 years ago. He was clearly upset at the discovery. Liberals can be such tools when it comes to this type of stuff.

Me? I'm descended from Irish horse thieves and the pirate Jean Lafitte, I think it's hilarious. Of course, I am not a liberal so I guess that helps.
Pretty sad that he agreed to do the episode and then wanted to be the special snowflake that had to censor his own history. BA takes himself way too seriously, clearly evident in his rant on the Maher clip.
Someone needs to remove that giant stick...

Old 04-18-2015, 12:31 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
I thought owning slaves was racism? That is a topic talked about a lot in this forum but it could be in that forum as well. I thought it was hypocritical for the topic to be censored as well. It should be talked about.
Did Ben Affleck own slaves? I can understand why someone would be uncomfortable about talking about their ancestors owning slaves. So no, I don't see how that relates to this forum section....this should be in a celebrity section or something.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:33 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I agree,

Though, isn't it a shame the left doesn't want to everyone else to collectively dump their "white guilt" as quickly and quietly as Mr. Affleck is being allowed to?

Old 04-18-2015, 12:37 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Afflecked is a tool.

I have a distant relative that was a murderous commander in Pancho Villas army, I also have several artifacts from that time period that are purported to be his as well.

Who gives a flying leap. Hell in two centuries I might be looked down upon because I terraform the natural urban surroundings. Who know what kind of crazy assed 451 civilization might be occupying the same space then.

So for my ancestors in the future who might have a problem with anything I've done: **** YOU!

Old 04-18-2015, 12:54 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So what if he did. Why do we care.
If PBS acquiesced to his request then there is certainly an issue especially considering they were focusing on civil rights.

Quote:
Roots of Freedom ~ Episode Preview | Finding Your Roots | PBS

Three guests whose families have long been engaged in the battle for freedom and civil rights but who had no idea that those principles were passed down through generations of ancestors; Ben Affleck’s mother was a Freedom Rider in 1964 and her roots include the 19th century spiritualist Almon French, who attempted to heal the bereaved masses in the aftermath of the Civil War;

Old 04-18-2015, 01:28 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
I descended from helium isotopes in outer space.

No pride or prejudice in this fact. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies