Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Factors that makes you register as Democrat
Progressive Taxation 23 53.49%
Govt has a role in our lives. 30 69.77%
Glad to pay taxes because i see the benefit 17 39.53%
Believe in minority rights. 22 51.16%
Right to safe abortion, easily available. 23 53.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 12:44 PM

16,045 posts, read 7,070,464 times

Advertisements

I am reading the book by Chuck Todd The Stranger : Obama in the White House. Among his legacy Todd counts the fact that Democrats are more united now ideologically than they were - for instance gay rights is a given for any democratic candidate today.

I feel he may be right. If you are a registered Democrat, how do you define the party you vote for? would you always vote for a democratic candidate for president?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 01:20 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,775,292 times
I vote Democrat only because the alternative is so destructive.

BTW, your poll is stupid.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:24 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,359,246 times
The thread merely serves to demonstrate that the Democrats continue to devolve into a collection of special interests and misfits -- the majority of whom have little or no understanding of the need for an open economy, and the incentives which drive all human progress.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-18-2015 at 01:39 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 01:30 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,296,239 times
To be a democrat is to give 10 million people work permits every couple decade and sign trade agreements like NAfTA and TPP because we are for the working class American.

Isn't that just ha-larry-us?

Old 04-18-2015, 01:32 PM

26,564 posts, read 15,132,263 times
I completely reject the premise.

Democrats are not more ideologically united.

Case in point: Obama.

Candidate Obama Version 2008 blasted a long list of Bush policies, said they were unethical, said they were unpatriotic, pledged not to do them. Called Bush's administration deceitful and pledged to be the most transparent in history. Democrats rejoiced with cheers, chants, and some even fainted.

President Obama has endorsed virtually every single critique that he had of Bush and has out Bushed Bush on most of them. Democrats ignore the facts, obfuscate, divert when presented with evidence, makes excuses, and scream racist.

Democrats have no consistent ideology on most issues. They may cheer for certain policies, but they are fine with those policies being broken - so long as it is a Democrat breaking those policies.

The politician, the hero, the demigod is where Democrats are united. Not most of the ideology. By in large, Democrats didn't oppose Bush policies, they opposed that a Democrat wasn't handing them down.

St. Pete for Peace - Obama fact sheet

https://danfromsquirrelhill.wordpres.../15/obama-252/

Barack Obama: The new trickle-down president?

Barack Obama said 'Fast and Furious' began under the Bush administration | PolitiFact Florida

Etc...

What is coming down the pipe? Democrats claim their ideology opposes War Hawks, yet they are excited that Hillary "War Hawk" Clinton is the foregone winner of the primary. Democrats are not united by ideology, ideology is a buzz word with little meaning.

The candidate reigns supreme and ideology is cast aside.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:05 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,255,869 times
For me, the best thing about the Democrats is that they AREN'T the Republicans.

Everything else is icing on the cake.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:06 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,433,062 times
What makes people register as democrats ?
Fear, they take a look at GOP a register democrat. We really need another party !

Old 04-18-2015, 02:24 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,201,771 times
To me it means, "In a flawed political system, anything is better than a republican."

Old 04-18-2015, 02:59 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,844,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
For me, the best thing about the Democrats is that they AREN'T the Republicans.

Everything else is icing on the cake.

There is the problem. They're not this or that. Don't bother defending or explaining your position.

I really think of everyone sat down and actually researched what each party was doing there would be a lot of head-scratching and converting from one to the other. This goes both ways. But, it's just easier to mindlessly insult and parrot things heard in the media.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:01 PM

16,045 posts, read 7,070,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I completely reject the premise.

Democrats are not more ideologically united.

Case in point: Obama.

What is coming down the pipe? Democrats claim their ideology opposes War Hawks, yet they are excited that Hillary "War Hawk" Clinton is the foregone winner of the primary. Democrats are not united by ideology, ideology is a buzz word with little meaning.

The candidate reigns supreme and ideology is cast aside.
The statement points to LEGACY so we are talking post-Obama. There is more unity in what they expect from the candidate and thus clinton is shaping her campaign around income-inequality. Gay rights. Fair wages.

No matter what their ideology is though they have to work with the Repubs who have only one ideology - no taxes, tax breaks for the rich, corporations are people. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies