Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 12:37 AM

11,160 posts, read 10,742,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
It's real easy to to claim some sort of moral high ground like this type of feel good point. However, we've always had poor people and always had people who make bad decisions. Personal responsibility wasn't a factor in America's growth or dominance; our resources, our government succeeding more often than failing, and our geography are why we dominated.

Personal responsibility is just some feel-goodery, pat yourself on the back type, ignoring reality type of excuse.
Sigh... If you are college educated, you need to demand your money back. If you're public school educated, the rest of us should demand our money back. Until the 1930's, personal responsibility was the cornerstone of America. The entire foundation of our country was personal responsibility. Have there always been poor people and bad decision makers? Yes, but the rest of us weren't forced to support them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 12:44 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,950,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Sigh... If you are college educated, you need to demand your money back. If you're public school educated, the rest of us should demand our money back. Until the 1930's, personal responsibility was the cornerstone of America. The entire foundation of our country was personal responsibility. Have there always been poor people and bad decision makers? Yes, but the rest of us weren't forced to support them.
'
Yeah, mom and dad definitely should request a refund for books and tuition.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,158,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
as for your Forbes link, Thats a flawed argument.
It's not flawed at all becsue you can maintain the same standard of living. If I can buy a house where I live for 1/4 of million and it cost 1 million in DC. I have $750K I didn't spend but we're living in the same house. I know the next thing you are going to say is it's more desirable to live in DC but that is just matter of opinion.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:02 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,950,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's not flawed at all becsue you can maintain the same standard of living. If I can buy a house where I live for 1/4 of million and it cost 1 million in DC. I have $750K I didn't spend but we're living in the same house. I know the next thing you are going to say is it's more desirable to live in DC but that is just matter of opinion.
I don't know where you live, but it wouldn't take much to be an improvement on living in DC.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:51 AM

10,836 posts, read 14,962,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How is this statistic calculated, for example if you have a company whose product is generated in a red state state and the company is headquartered in a blue state or some other variation of that? Also keep in mind you can't eat financial services.

Only before you account for cost of living.
Lot's of blue state people can not comprehend a family of four can live better on $60k in Huntsville, Alabama than the same family of four attempting to live on $100k in San Jose, CA. They just don't get it.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:30 AM

15,657 posts, read 10,435,750 times
nep, take a look at your own deep blue state, Connecticut, and tell me how liberal Malloy's leadership has been good for your state. From every measure, the state looks like the poster child for the failure of Democrat policies.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:42 AM

428 posts, read 345,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Sigh... If you are college educated, you need to demand your money back. If you're public school educated, the rest of us should demand our money back. Until the 1930's, personal responsibility was the cornerstone of America. The entire foundation of our country was personal responsibility. .
It's interesting to think about why that is.

Just to throw out one difference between now and then, that's the time period when people went from being largely self employed (lots and lots of small family farms for one thing) to working for medium/large companies and the government. There's a change in attitude when you are an employee, I'm not sure that you are ever really an adult at that point.

An ageing population can't help but have natural personal fears that come with becoming older. They'll tend to vote perceived stability over freedom.

The funny thing is that hanging your peoples' and the economy's hat on larger and rather monolithic systems is probably less reliable and more brittle in the long run.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:30 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,623,829 times
Like others have mentioned, this is largely a rural/urban divide.

Cities are economic hubs. They also adopt more Liberal policies due to the high population density. People are more educated because more jobs in cities require a college degree, not because Liberals are smarter. People earn more money, but it also costs more to live there.

Rural areas are producers of resources. Food, energy, textiles, etc. They favor more Conservative policies to limit the government's power over how they live and do business. The prevalence of blue collar jobs means a college degree is not as necessary as it is in cities. People earn less money, but the COL is much lower than the city.

Looking only at the raw numbers without adjusting for the cost of living completely distorts what states are actually poorer. After adjusting for COL, 7 of the top states with the lowest actual disposable income are in the West.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:54 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,228,994 times
OP, simply making it non affordable to live in blue states, doesnt mean they are better.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:24 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,314,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
66% of America's GDP comes from blue states; 34% comes from red states. GDP per capita of all blue states combined is 12% higher than it is in all red states combined. 9 of the 10 poorest states are red states. 8 of the top 10 states with the best public schools are blue states. Median wages are 15% higher in blue states. And obesity is more prevalent in red states. But Republicans claim that their policies lead to a stronger economy and society. Huh?! Virtually every quality of life and well being measure is more favorable in blue states than red states.
I would dispute quality of life measures because you can't say for others what is important.

You also can not look at what states are today and make sweeping generalizations.

CA was a red state when Silicon Valley was born and Republican policies on taxes and capital greatly benefited the formation of capital that funded the tech boom. The same could be said for many of the other blue states that were formerly red. It has become urban centers in states and Democrat machines in those cities that make the states blue. The country looks very different county by county than it does state by state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies