Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:38 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times

Advertisements

In the past 10 years there has been a seismic shift in American's views on gay marriage. Ten years ago only 40% supported it, today 60%. I see no issue with politicians also softening their views on the issue. If you could find some quote with Hillary railing against gays then that would be a different matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:43 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Just blame in on "just as any other politician". No wonder why American politics are so corrupt because American voters keep voting in these politicians who barely stand for anything and most of you don't even hold them accountable for their actions or what they say. I'm really starting to believe foreigners when they say Americans are some of the dumbest voters on the planet.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:46 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post

This is going to make for some fine campaign ads, if she makes it out of the Democratic primary. Or perhaps some of her Democratic competitors will want to preempt the Republicans and make some during the primaries.
I am really hoping that issues like gay marriage are not going to be the forefront of issues
for the Presidency. After all, states are handling that pretty well these days -37 with legal gay marriage.
With the Presidency, I want to know things like their plans for the economy, and as commander
in chief.

On both those counts, I think Hillary will be a fail.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:51 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
In the past 10 years there has been a seismic shift in American's views on gay marriage. Ten years ago only 40% supported it, today 60%. I see no issue with politicians also softening their views on the issue. If you could find some quote with Hillary railing against gays then that would be a different matter.
When Mitt Romney changed his view, he was castigated as a "flip flopper." When Barack Obama changed his view, he was hailed as "evolving." Now Hillary is "shifting" and it's A-OK!

Now, tell me how you look at yourself in the mirror every morning knowing that you and your types perpetuate this vile and putrid hypocrisy?

Are you man/woman enough to own up to this strain of fundamental disingenuousness that runs through your ideology?

Old 04-23-2015, 11:40 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
I enjoy watching the hoops some are willing to jump through so they don't have to admit the candidate they support didn't support same sex marriage just a handful of years ago.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:44 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I enjoy watching the hoops some are willing to jump through so they don't have to admit the candidate they support didn't support same sex marriage just a handful of years ago.

I am scratching my head trying to figure out why that even matters.

2004 Hillary is not running for office, it's 2015 Hillary who is.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:47 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

When Mitt Romney changed his view, he was castigated as a "flip flopper." When Barack Obama changed his view, he was hailed as "evolving." Now Hillary is "shifting" and it's A-OK!

Now, tell me how you look at yourself in the mirror every morning knowing that you and your types perpetuate this vile and putrid hypocrisy?

Are you man/woman enough to own up to this strain of fundamental disingenuousness that runs through your ideology?

Old 04-23-2015, 11:49 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Hillary Clinton defines marriage as between a man and a woman on the floor of the US Senate in 2004, in no uncertain terms. Here is the video from CSPAN (Length - 1:21):

Hillary Clinton Gay Marriage 2004 | Video | C-SPAN.org

And here is the quote:

"So I take umbrage at anyone who might suggest that those of us who worry about amending the Constitution are less committed to the sanctity of marriage, or to the fundamental bedrock principle that exists between a man and a woman, going back into the mists of history as one of the founding, foundational institutions of history and humanity and civilization, and that its primary, principal role during those millennia has been the raising and socializing of children for the society into which they are to become adults."

Also, here is an article on this topic, of which there are sure to be many more:

Flashback: Watch Hillary Clinton defend heterosexual marriage as a 'fundamental bedrock principle'

This is going to make for some fine campaign ads, if she makes it out of the Democratic primary. Or perhaps some of her Democratic competitors will want to preempt the Republicans and make some during the primaries.
When a Conservative changes positions on an issue they're a flip-flopper. When a liberal does the same they've simply become more enlightened.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:53 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
When Mitt Romney changed his view, he was castigated as a "flip flopper."
AFAIK Romney is still opposed to gay marriage.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:54 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

People don't really change on issues when they are in their 50's and 60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies