Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 03:20 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
It makes me sick that they think pre-k programs will solve it. These are educated people that come up with these ideas. It's sick
Are they?

Maybe they're just corrupt neo-liberal and neo-conservative NWO scum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 03:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
LBJ "invested" in Education with his war on poverty in 1965.
50 years later..we are worse off for it.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:51 AM

28,901 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Obama on the Late Show saying Baltimore is from the effects of slavery.
Does he think he's Abraham Lincoln now ?

These minors never knew slavery or Jim Crow laws.
They're 12-15 years old..racism hasn't even hit them yet.
Well, he couldn't be more wrong, that excuse has outlived it's stay....and extremely stupid if people are still buying that one.

You cannot pull people out of the slums if they don't want to help themselves....ask people who build free housing to and for the poor....after they move in, it doesn't take long until they look like the slums again....
if people don't take pride in themselves, they are not going to take pride in anything else...

If they grew up like that, it's not going to change, unless they want to change....and you have to want it so badly, you'll get yourself out.

the more freebees we give to anyone, even our own kids, the more they want, the more they will take advantage and expect it and the less they will care for it or about it, b/c they didn't work for it......

Welfare, breeds welfare...period.

Your learning skills come from your parents....and if the parents take no pride, have no respect for anything or anyone, then the kids will grow up the same.....I cannot believe people can't grasp this....

Yes, there are some kids that get out...but not enough, by the looks of Baltimore....and most people are way to busy themselves to care to help any longer or even care to understand there is a problem.

A mother at 15 has a child, is a child herself, is she responsible, probably not, and maybe she is on drugs, or drinks, her kids are raising themselves, even eating what they can find, they have no love, no parenting....the whole problem is with parenting skills.....and no where else.....laziness, and no ambition to get out...if they can make it on welfare and selling drugs, then its fine with them. It has nothing to do with slavery....Obama is to me, a very unintelligent person....and he needs to retire and get out of politics....and I fear way to many like him are now leaders of our country....how utterly inexcusable are his thoughts on the subject.....

Old 05-07-2015, 08:03 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
i would not have bet money on this happening. i guess they're gluttons for punishment.

CVS officially confirms plan to reopen burned stores - Baltimore Sun

Old 05-07-2015, 12:39 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i would not have bet money on this happening. i guess they're gluttons for punishment.

CVS officially confirms plan to reopen burned stores - Baltimore Sun
Yes, they are confirming that they are planning to eventually rebuild.

At this time.

For now.

When saying otherwise would be a PR nightmare.

If they didn't really intend to rebuild here is what you do:
1) Say you are planning to rebuild.
2) Wait for the frenzy to die down, don't rebuild, don't even comment on it.

Sure, there may be some little news blurb about how they never rebuilt but by then it's ooooold news and they can easily duck that.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:27 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
All I heard today on all the Sunday morning news shows was "we have to invest in our inner city youth" and the like - just nonSTOP about it, am I the only one SICK OF THIS ****?

These people are a g-- damn DRAG on American progress...a complete abyss. We have spent and spent and spent and spent on these people and what do we get?

How about you people TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY and GROW UP - that way we wouldn't have to babysit your people like little children.

I'm sick of it!
I LOVE that people think they can make a difference. I LOVE that people want to talk about how to make a positive impact, and that even people like yourself, people who are discouraged and disgusted because of what's been spent, and what poverty and crime cost us, still participate in the conversation.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Yes the so called massive infrastructure stimulus doesn't show much for 800 billion. Its why no president again should be given such a free hand on such spending. It should have been restricted by congress as to its uses of what it was sold to public as.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Well, he couldn't be more wrong, that excuse has outlived it's stay....and extremely stupid if people are still buying that one.

You cannot pull people out of the slums if they don't want to help themselves....ask people who build free housing to and for the poor....after they move in, it doesn't take long until they look like the slums again....
if people don't take pride in themselves, they are not going to take pride in anything else...

If they grew up like that, it's not going to change, unless they want to change....and you have to want it so badly, you'll get yourself out.

the more freebees we give to anyone, even our own kids, the more they want, the more they will take advantage and expect it and the less they will care for it or about it, b/c they didn't work for it......

Welfare, breeds welfare...period.

Your learning skills come from your parents....and if the parents take no pride, have no respect for anything or anyone, then the kids will grow up the same.....I cannot believe people can't grasp this....

Yes, there are some kids that get out...but not enough, by the looks of Baltimore....and most people are way to busy themselves to care to help any longer or even care to understand there is a problem.

A mother at 15 has a child, is a child herself, is she responsible, probably not, and maybe she is on drugs, or drinks, her kids are raising themselves, even eating what they can find, they have no love, no parenting....the whole problem is with parenting skills.....and no where else.....laziness, and no ambition to get out...if they can make it on welfare and selling drugs, then its fine with them. It has nothing to do with slavery....Obama is to me, a very unintelligent person....and he needs to retire and get out of politics....and I fear way to many like him are now leaders of our country....how utterly inexcusable are his thoughts on the subject.....
12 year olds do not know any better. That is the life they were born into and accept it.

Very few strive to escape and that is mostly because of their very strict parents.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I LOVE that people think they can make a difference. I LOVE that people want to talk about how to make a positive impact, and that even people like yourself, people who are discouraged and disgusted because of what's been spent, and what poverty and crime cost us, still participate in the conversation.
I work in Title 1 schools. I have no grand idea that I will make any of those kids change their minds.
I do Math and Reading tutoring. I encourage them to finish HS and at least be able to read and do Math to function in America. I'm pragmatic about this. When they ask why they need to learn Math, I tell them "So you don't get ripped off when you buy stuff". Why they need to learn to read, "So you don't get scammed when you buy stuff and have to sign your name". They understand that.

"So you can get good grades and go to college and get a degree and a high paying job" ? They do not connect with that.

Yeah..I'm a teacher but I didn't drink the "Everyone can go to college" koolaid.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:45 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Obama on the Late Show saying Baltimore is from the effects of slavery.
Does he think he's Abraham Lincoln now ?

These minors never knew slavery or Jim Crow laws.
They're 12-15 years old..racism hasn't even hit them yet.
What a waste of a black president. What a waste.

He could have done so much to turn around the younger black culture with his position and how many looked up to him.

I just shake my head in disgust.

I don't have to agree with him politically - but would have had no problem giving him props for improving the lot of blacks in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies