Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 10:23 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times

Advertisements

Baltimore is a great example of a city that has been run by Democrats and minorities for years. Yet they still believe in their "Government will take care of you" agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 10:42 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
In theory Frank I agree with you. Realistically though, if we were to abruptly cut off those programs, if you thought the civil unrest from the events of Baltimore and Ferguson were bad, then just wait! I don't think that Americans are ready for the type of unrest that can happen. Now, having said that, if we don't take steps to start widdling away from these programs, and that includes giving away freebies to illegals, and playing the world cop...well... eventually they're going to run out of other people's money to spend, and then s*** will hit the fan!
No. I would not be that worried. Think of Hurricane Katrina aftermath tenfold - there are hundreds of millions of legal law abiding (tax paying, no less) gun owning Americans who would certainly deal with such an incident.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:47 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
No. I would not be that worried. Think of Hurricane Katrina aftermath tenfold - there are hundreds of millions of legal law abiding (tax paying, no less) gun owning Americans who would certainly deal with such an incident.

I agree. And I am a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment, why our forefathers implemented it, and I am a firm believer in people having the means to defend themselves, but I would hope it doesn't come down to unrest on such a massive scale.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:50 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Baltimore is a great example of a city that has been run by Democrats and minorities for years. Yet they still believe in their "Government will take care of you" agenda.
former governor O'Malley is a perfect example of this. on the sunday morning talk shows he called the $130 million dumped into Baltimore by the government 'spit in a bucket.'

thank jehu that asshat is finally gone

Old 05-04-2015, 10:58 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
This is a really bizarre topic because it wasn't that long ago when outside investors into impoverished communities were called "white interlopers" and "bloodsuckers" by Sharpton & friends.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:00 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post

Yes and Yes Let them keeping voting for the same ol same ol idiots and they will keep getting the same ol results....then complain about them and how, "the white man is keeping them down". They would be half right with that statement....White liberals to be exact, along with their Al Sharptons, Jesse Jacksons, etc of this world....same ol story, different day

Old 05-04-2015, 11:09 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
former governor O'Malley is a perfect example of this. on the sunday morning talk shows he called the $130 million dumped into Baltimore by the government 'spit in a bucket.'

thank jehu that asshat is finally gone
That $130 Million was for ONE project to build homes 20 years ago. Baltimore has received Billions in aid over the years. O'Malley's solution was to build lots and lots of Projects in Baltimore. One of those Projects is Gilmor Homes, where Freddie Gray lived. He spent a LOT more than $130 Million and it hasn't helped either.

Baltimore Public Housing & Amenities and Programs

Old 05-04-2015, 11:12 AM

593 posts, read 667,338 times
We do not need to invest in them, they need to invest in themselves. Money alone wont fix Baltimore, Detroit, ect. Two parent families who actively raise their kids will. Having a culture that looks up to education and career achievement rather than selling dope and buying rims will fix Baltimore. If these 2 things were to fix, the money will come. Business will invest in the area naturally because they feel safe and like they are dealing with humans rather than animals. We have dumped millions after millions into places like this and got zero results, its the same war zone it was 10 years ago. Sometimes you just have to give up and realize you cannot help people who don't help themselves.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:40 AM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This is a really bizarre topic because it wasn't that long ago when outside investors into impoverished communities were called "white interlopers" and "bloodsuckers" by Sharpton & friends.
Because they want your money, just not you in their hood.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:41 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Basic axiom of life is never to reinforce failure. Reinforce endeavors which lead to success.

We had a natural disaster here in Miami a few years ago. Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Middle-Class folks had their houses destroyed and were dispossessed for several weeks to months. Insurance Cos, Private Agencies[Red Cross were outstanding], and Federal Gov't came in to help in the short term. Folks got their lives back on track and only nature and some dwellings were the home owners elected to abandon the area mark that a disaster occurred. That is the difference. Folks here were the type who do not need constant aid. Just help me get up when I am down and I am done with your involvement in my life.

Of course things have changed in the past 23 years in Miami. Many of the new immigrants come and expect Gov't largesse and are proud of how they can work the system. Pitiful.

Gov't is well meaning and the programs are sound so long as everyone plays fair. But that just is not and has not been happening. I do know success stories. So there are folks who pull themselves up and get ahead in life with Gov't assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies