Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 01:36 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Let's just make it clear here. I do not support the actions of the shooters. They are flat out wrong. I condemn the inflammatory actions of the instigators, the American Freedom Defense Initiative and Pam Geller, directly.

I will acknowledge that the one positive result of the event was it drew a couple of home grown terrorists out of the woodwork and and exposed them to their obvious conclusion.
Unfortunately, Pam Geller and her ilk will continue to inflame and incite all the lowest common denominators to do hateful, stupid things.
And in this country, it's her right to do so and not expect that speech to be met with violence. Free speech isn't easy but for us to blame people engaged in free speech, even speech we disagree with vehemently, is victim blaming at the end of the day.

I think it irks you to think of Pam Geller as a victim but point of fact, that's exactly what her and her group are if they are the targets of violence. She was engaged in lawful behavior and someone tried to commit a crime by shooting up an event she hosted. That's makes her a victim of this crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 01:41 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
And in this country, it's her right to do so and not expect that speech to be met with violence. Free speech isn't easy but for us to blame people engaged in free speech, even speech we disagree with vehemently, is victim blaming at the end of the day.

I think it irks you to think of Pam Geller as a victim but point of fact, that's exactly what her and her group are if they are the targets of violence. She was engaged in lawful behavior and someone tried to commit a crime by shooting up an event she hosted. That's makes her a victim of this crime.
you're right she is a victim. A vicious, hateful, stupid victim from where I stand.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:44 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Kinda like going to a gathering of blacks and yelling n-----. you have that 1st amendment right. I label you a stupid bigot, not brave.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:44 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
The blame rests entirely upon the two dead nutjobs. They chose to react the way they did. In the US no one has the right to not be offended. Because speech can be offensive is precisely why we have the first amendment. It is up to the individuals to control their reactions to opposing ideas which offend. Many groups are offended without turning to violence. Muslims get no pass on this. It is their fault alone for reacting as they do.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:47 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Question: Taking into consideration of what happens when anyone publishes any likeness (cartoon or no) of Mohammed, what exactly did they think was going to happen? Everyone getting together, joining hands, and singing Kumbaya?

That **** was meant to incite, make no mistake.

Oh, and that pesky 1st amendment pertains to GOVERNMENT control of free speech.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:50 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
[/b]
One group was displaying satirical cartoons. The other group was intent on carrying out a mass murder with automatic weapons. And you can't see the difference?
As told by the Southern Poverty Law Center. Who have a HUGE list of anti-muslim hate groups, but no anti-christian hate groups.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:52 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
you're right she is a victim. A vicious, hateful, stupid victim from where I stand.
Don't forget, she is also a bully. What is the difference in what she is doing compared to "inciting a riot, yelling "fire" in a movie theater, or saying "hijack" on a plane? Those are all illegal due to safety reasons.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:55 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Let's just make it clear here. I do not support the actions of the shooters. They are flat out wrong. I condemn the inflammatory actions of the instigators, the American Freedom Defense Initiative and Pam Geller, directly.

I will acknowledge that the one positive result of the event was it drew a couple of home grown terrorists out of the woodwork and and exposed them to their obvious conclusion.
Unfortunately, Pam Geller and her ilk will continue to inflame and incite all the lowest common denominators to do hateful, stupid things.
If they are inflamed and incited to commit acts of terrorism, that's on THEM. We live in the US, where everyone is free to do hateful, stupid things.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:56 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:

Will you condemn the organizers of a gay pride parade when Islamic extremists attack it? "Gay Pride" is offensive to radical Islam and a "sin" (whatever the heck they call it) according to their little book.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:57 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The blame rests entirely upon the two dead nutjobs. They chose to react the way they did. In the US no one has the right to not be offended. Because speech can be offensive is precisely why we have the first amendment. It is up to the individuals to control their reactions to opposing ideas which offend. Many groups are offended without turning to violence. Muslims get no pass on this. It is their fault alone for reacting as they do.
It's not just a question of blame. Nobody in this thread has argued that the shooters were justified. In the end, they got exactly what they deserved for their actions.

It is a question of motives, incitement and proceeding with an agenda of hate towards another religion while hiding behind the 1st amendment.
I find Geller and her crew's actions reprehensible and no better than yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater when there is none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies