Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 11:32 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Sad tragic and senseless murder.

Does NY put their cop killers to death or give them and slap on the wrist and some harsh words?

Problem with the Lock-em-up thinking is there simply is not enough prison space to hold them for their full sentences, and people are all for building more of them, except not in their backyard. The answer is to use the prisons we have more effectively by find alternative punishments for lesser white color crimes, and stop putting people in prison for dugs. And there ya go, all the room we need to sentence hardened criminals to serious time and they have to do all or the vast majority of it before any thought of release, if ever. Now to get the politicians to do what is needed, I will not hold my breath waiting.
I agree-build more prisons and release those in prison for non violent drug possession and DWI. Focus on criminals that steal, rob, rape, assault and kill. Quit spending money in prison on things like TVs, entertainment, exercise equipment and education. We need to lock up these animals to keep them out of society. Not to turn them into better educated and entertained criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 11:33 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
I favor life w/o parole, spent entirely in solitary confinement, for cop killers. And yes, I'm aware they would go crazy, and I don't care.

We need to modify though the often stupid 3 strikes and you're out, as often it's a minor crime or two that trips up making it a 3x event, not what it was intended to do. When it locks up folks for minor crimes, that is one less cell foe dangerous thugs who belong caged.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:36 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Actually, Toyman, I'd educate those eligible for release, and bar early parole for those inmates who failed to add legal, marketable skills. If they are returning to society, I want to insure they both truly changed and also can make it legally outside, giving them no motive to return to jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies