Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:02 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The hood rats in the US with their "keeping it real" culture will call you a liar, white supremacist and so on, even if you're "BlacK' yourself.
Lets be clear that whites, by far, are the largest consumers of "hip hop" music and culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 08:29 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
It's a cultural problem of no regard for human life. This isn't a racial thing. Cultures that regard and cherish life are going to have far less violence than those who feel life is disposable.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,557 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'm no sociologist, but, based on stats out of wedlock births in the US among blacks rose starting in the 1950s as marriage rates declined for this demographic.

Hoover.org
http://www.hoover.org/sites/default/...7998721_95.pdf
"African American Marriage Patterns"
DOUGLAS J. BESHAROV and
ANDREW WEST

"In the 1950s, after at least seventy years of rough parity, African American
marriage rates began to fall behind white rates. In 1950, the percentages
of white and African American women (aged fifteen and over) who were
currently married were roughly the same
, 67 percent and 64 percent,
respectively.

Between 1950 and 1998, the percentage of never-married white women aged forty and over fell from 9 percent to 5 percent, a 44 percent drop. But the percentage of never-married African
American women aged forty and over rose by 200 percent, from 5 percent
to 15 percent"

Marriage rates dropped in black families starting in the 50s. Why do you think that is, IS?
"never married" only matters if you are specifically arguing marriage, But you are arguing family unit, AKA, them still being married.

Who cares if you got married for 6 months and broke up, you still arent together which is why never married rate doesnt matter.

Still married is the stat you are looking for.

And marriage rate has been dropping for all groups, not just Black ones. Its because our economy has been geared towards individuals and not families.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:54 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I was just reading some news online concerning Accra, Ghana, a city of 2.5 million people. I am not going to question the veracity of the reporting of crime.......but only 39 homicides were reported and something like 125 robberies. Crime Rate in Accra Went Down By 22% in 2014 That calculates to a murder rate of 1.56 per 100,000 residents. Compare that with place like Flint, Michigan, with 66 murders per 100,000 residents in a city that is half African American and most of the homicides come from the AA community...which means that the rate per 100,000 for AA is likely over 100.

I do not know what the out of wedlock birth rate is in Ghana, but I am very sure that it is much less than it is in the United States for African Americans. In other words, the family unit is much stronger there than here in the US. Hence, what did Westernization do to the culture of black people? when people say that the problem in America is "black culture".....I disagree. Accra, Ghana is "black culture".
So, I guess the whole point of this post is to continue placing blame somewhere else? Give it up already.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's a cultural problem of no regard for human life. This isn't a racial thing. Cultures that regard and cherish life are going to have far less violence than those who feel life is disposable.
Culture is a LEARNED behavior and not an innate trait. If black people in America have a culture of violence and disrespect for life.....THAT WAS LEARNED IN AMERICA. Our cultural learning came from our interactions with whites. Hence, how whites treated blacks helped to shape what is erroneously called "black culture"

Old 05-08-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
So, I guess the whole point of this post is to continue placing blame somewhere else? Give it up already.
Everything is what it is...FOR A REASON. Everything is the result of and or reaction to something else. Actions create reactions. Thus, I guess the whole point of your retort is that blacks have existed in a vacuum and have only reacted to themselves.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:20 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
From what I have read, blacks well doing well in the 50s (?) until they started screwing around with the family unit with the welfare system. It has been down hill for many who have used that service - especially with regards to single parent households.

During Reconstruction and up until the 1940s, 75% to 85% of black children lived in two-parent families. Today, more than 70% of black children are born to single women.

Walter Williams... “The welfare state has done to black Americans what slavery couldn’t do, what Jim Crow couldn’t do, what the harshest racism couldn’t do and that is to destroy the black family.”

Old 05-08-2015, 09:32 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Everything is what it is...FOR A REASON. Everything is the result of and or reaction to something else. Actions create reactions. Thus, I guess the whole point of your retort is that blacks have existed in a vacuum and have only reacted to themselves.
Everything is what it is, and right now, it's people making excuses and not accepting the consequences of their own actions.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:33 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Dare I mention the fact that Ghana as a whole has a gun ownership rate of .3 per 100 residents and ranks 174th out of 178 for gun ownership, both legal and illegal?
Don't you dare share facts.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:15 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
From what I have read, blacks well doing well in the 50s (?) until they started screwing around with the family unit with the welfare system. It has been down hill for many who have used that service - especially with regards to single parent households.

During Reconstruction and up until the 1940s, 75% to 85% of black children lived in two-parent families. Today, more than 70% of black children are born to single women.

Walter Williams... “The welfare state has done to black Americans what slavery couldn’t do, what Jim Crow couldn’t do, what the harshest racism couldn’t do and that is to destroy the black family.”
Is "doing well" only related to marriage rates??

If so, even with higher marriage rates over 60-75% of black people lived in poverty in 1950 and before. I don't see that as "doing well."

Also the "welfare system" began in the 1930s as did public housing and other social services programs. They were a response to the Great Depression. Poor white people were the primary users of these programs as blacks were black listed (pun meant) in many areas across the country from receiving welfare payments or living in public housing.

So welfare could not have possible been the cause of the demise of "the black family."

Also by 35-55 most black people have been married. It is not like black people aren't getting married anymore and marriage by itself doesn't mean one is "doing well."

Socially in the industrialized world marriage has been declining since the 1950s for all demographics, not just black Americans. Yet one doesn't see the negative connotations on other segments of society that they try to place specifically on black Americans so one can correlate that single parent homes, being born out of wedlock, and lower marriage rates are not the end all/be-all when it comes to specific statistics.

Even though I feel the OP is kind of weird in regards to comparing Ghana with black Americans, I get the gist of the OP that black Americans are indeed "Americans" and the woes many try to pit on just black Americans is not a "black thing." It is an American thing and due to the historical treatment of blacks in this country, it is more likely that negative statistics would show up in this segment of the population but said negatives cannot be 100% linked to being black in and of itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies