Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 09:27 PM

934 posts, read 595,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Actually prohibition was largely a progressive initiative, much like the anti-tobacco drive of the past 20 years.

The Progressive Roots of Prohibition - Taki's Magazine
Progressives were involved but to say it waa largely progrssive is false, unless you consider Christian groups peogressive

Old 05-11-2015, 09:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Because they like to be high?

Old 05-11-2015, 09:59 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Progressives were involved but to say it waa largely progrssive is false, unless you consider Christian groups peogressive
There was a lot of overlap among progressives, Christians, and feminists at the time.
What it meant to be 'progressive' in turn-of-the-century Minnesota | MinnPost

Those who would today be today considered conservatives, like HL Mencken, lampooned the idea of prohibition. Progressives also pushed for and got the genesis of the War on Drugs with the Harrison Act of 1914. Before that, any American could walk into the corner pharmacy and buy marijuana, opium, or cocaine. Progressives put an end to that.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:05 PM

29,813 posts, read 24,895,387 times
To me, drug prohibition of any kind is an affront to personal freedom. I'm not interested in preaching or pushing my beliefs on others. I think there are many drugs that do more harm than good. It doesn't mean I have a right to tell anybody else what they can and cannot put in their bodies.

To me, this type of approach should define the small government, conservative crowd. Since that is not the case, I believe many conservatives are actually frauds, who would prefer something of a sissy nanny state... Just as long as it imposes their views on others. Actually, I think they are just told what to think by their media overlords.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:06 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,102 times
Quote:
He explained, "we're more relaxed; we're not as uptight as the right."
I take it he's never browsed this forum.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:06 PM

671 posts, read 890,270 times
Actually I'm pretty much on the conservative side, don't understand the lefts logic but all in on decriminalizing marijuana. It's going to be legalize by more and more states anyway. The federal law is already not being enforced and the government is just slow walking it....Probably a wise thing to do.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:10 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,084 times
I enjoy the irony of the anti smoking crowd being pro pot.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:18 PM

32,055 posts, read 15,052,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I enjoy the irony of the anti smoking crowd being pro pot.
These are 2 separate issues. The tobacco industry has prospered on addicts of nicotine. Many die of lung, throat and tongue cancer. Nicotine will kill you and has no medicinal purposes. Pot on the other hand has always had medicinal purposes. And when have you heard of pot having the damaging effects that cigarettes have. Sorry, no irony at all

Old 05-11-2015, 10:20 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,164 times
Quote:
Actually prohibition was largely a progressive initiative, much like the anti-tobacco drive of the past 20 years.

The Progressive Roots of Prohibition - Taki's Magazine
It was a religious movement.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:35 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,127,881 times
Interesting topic. I know marijuana smokers from both parties, but most opponents to mj legalization are from the right.

What interests me is that a lot of anti marijuana people are actually pretty hard/loyal drinkers. From my experiences as a college kid, I can't even tell you what marijuana even does (after trying it three times) except burn your throat. I'll have to try gummy bears next or something. With alcohol I have seen a lot of bad things that were caused simply by that drug.

I guess part of it is the hypocrisy of don't touch my booze, but you can rot in jail for another substance that's significantly less harmful, but it's not a part of my culture, so I disapprove.

Although I think marijuana is pretty well understood by most of the younger populace. It's other drugs like disassociatives and psychedelics that are really misunderstood IMO. Many people that are fine with legalizing pot, but would look at you like you are stupid if you would suggest legalizing PCP or ketamine, cause people still assume the myths of the past about disassociatives that are just as off course as the reefer madness myths. The same medical use argument for pot can be applied to disassociatives; from reports, they are looking to be some of the best antidepressants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies